Need for national licencing/rego

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2008 at 11:59
ThreadID: 57293 Views:2426 Replies:12 FollowUps:28
This Thread has been Archived
Gday, honestly how dumb is the current system of state-by-state licencing and registration? Just found out last night that after living in a different state for only 3 months you need to change your licence over and re-register your car. This involves buying new rego, new plates, getting a mechanic to inspect the car and applying for a refund for any outstanding rego from the previous state!

Then when you move back you have to go through the whole drama again!

With the ever increasing numbers of people travelling interstate for work surely it is just a waste of everybody's time, money and effort to continue with the current system. Each motor reg place in the country can be connected with internet now. It would make a lot more sense to have a national system. Or at least make it longer, such as 2 years rather than 3 months.

Anyway my 2c

Barnesy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:05

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:05
yep,

when i moved to nsw from wa, i got followed by mr plod one night whilst trundling along in my trusty old xd fairmont ghia. he very kindly advised me of my position. that's when it started, I was writing so many cheques I felt like i was going to be sleeping in the thing before too long.

rest assured, some one is making a lot of money....
AnswerID: 302117

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:10

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:10
Gday,
Yeh but look on the bright side...
When you moved back you probably got a refund!
Isnt WA a lot cheaper?

Cheers
FollowupID: 568145

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:39

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:39
still in nsw mate. yep, wa HEAPS cheaper, just pop up to the PO and sort it out no sweat.
FollowupID: 568158

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:27

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:27
I do my WA rego by telephone and credit card and usually from outside of Australia. Now thats easy :-))
FollowupID: 568166

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:41

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:41
Well I don't know whether this applies in QLD, but there's some clown in my Street ( GQ Nissan) that moved up here from Vic 2 years ago & it's still sporting Vic plates. Should dob the Pr-k in eh ! Must be cheaper Rego down there. They not only can't drive, but they want the cake & eat it.
AnswerID: 302118

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:28

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:28
What a bloke Shane!
Wouldnt we all love a neighbour like you??
Dont you think talking to him face to face would be a more neighbourly think to do than DOBBING???
FollowupID: 568154

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:55

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:55
Gday Shane,
Dont take this to heart but I need to clear up a few of your comments...(It might be just me?)

1. Is this bloke a prick because he drives a Nissan, Because he is Victorian or because he is getting cheaper rego than you?
2. What does the US have to do with us and since when has following them like sheep been a good thing?
3. Was "that bloke that was told his Swivel hubs were shot" YOU, and was the Mechanic a Victorian or a Nissan driver?

LMAO
FollowupID: 568160

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:53

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:53
Yeh you had better dob him in Shane, you would be the most popular bloke in the street after that. When your tyres get slashed it would be hard to find who did it, because nobody in your street would slash tyres I'm sure.
FollowupID: 568171

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:58

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:58
Hairy,

You take comments too seriously. "IF" I was a Dobber do you think it would take me 2 years to do it. No don't answer that & say it would take that long for a QLD'er. As for the rest "it might just be you". Better things in life to do than to be a budding Analyst. Put the stubbi back in the fridge, you don't need it.
FollowupID: 568175

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:07

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:07
The same applies to you Barnsey !
FollowupID: 568177

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:13

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:13
>>The same applies to you Barnsey !

What did I do?
FollowupID: 568180

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:19

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:19
Nothing taken seriously mate...Just pulling the proverbial
As for not being an analyst...it sounds like your assuming Im on the pi$$?
(ive got the flu and beer wouldnt be the right medicine) Im actually trying to start a bike I havent started for a couple of months and after half a dozen kicks Im nearly dead and retiring to the computer for 10mins.

Mmmm bourbon might be the right medicine though

Cheers
FollowupID: 568182

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:22

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:22
Barnesy,

To even think of slashing a persons tyres, shows that maybe that would be on top of your list should someone get on the wrong side of you Eh ! Would be the furthest thing on my mind. Every one to their own.
FollowupID: 568183

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:29

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:29
Hairy

Flu must be going around. Missus got back from Canberra with it a week ago, so I thought I would be smart by sleeping in a separate room while she was barking. Well believe me it didn't work, today I have it. Must be hard to shake as she still has it & it's not getting any better.
FollowupID: 568185

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:16

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:16
Shane,
Havent got to the barking stage yet!...3rd day of cold sweats, aches and running out of breath!
Tell your missus to give bourbon ago....just had a couple of shots of American Honey ( no hanging bleep about copying the US) and a few boubons.......Still got liquid running from me nose and eyes and..... ...but Hey...Im feeling better! Heaps of codrals, 1 celebrex, heaps of vitamin c tablets, eucalyptus burner firing a few soothers a Lemsip and a couple of Bourbons ....bewwwwwdiful!

AND, you said about not taking things too seriously???
I think Barnsey might have read something similar into you comments (like I did) that wasnt intended.

Relax fellas
FollowupID: 568191

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 00:50

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 00:50
Come on

next you will be talking about Fred !!!!

LOL

Richard
FollowupID: 568304

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:46

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:46
I agree - we are living in the one country, not a set of hostile countries that the various licensing departments in each state seem to think.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 302119

Follow Up By: garrycol - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:29

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:29
Sorry - we live in six independent countries that are linked by a Federation - hence why each state has a Governor as the Queens representative.

This is why we have these rediculous issues.
FollowupID: 568155

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:35

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:35
Gday Motherhen,

"we are living in the one country, not a set of hostile countries "

Ya Reckon!!!

Go up one reply.....I dont think some QLDers would agreee???

HaHaHa
FollowupID: 568157

Reply By: Notso - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:52

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 12:52
If you think rego and licencing is a problem spare a thought for the businesses that are spread across Aus.

They have 9 different jurisdictions to work in, at least 9 health and safety Acts, lord knows how many other pieces of state legislation.

It's about time we did something about it but the big problem is we are a Federation of Sovereign States and even though they have ceded some of their powers, eg defence and customs etc, they still like their little bit of parochial power.

We have as many people as the worlds largest city. Of course we are spread over the worlds 5th largest land mass so I suppose we need a few extra pogos to run the place.
AnswerID: 302121

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:09

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:09
Oz has a similar population to new york city with a land mass the size of the whole US which does create problems. Even so it really wouldn't be hard for each state to be connected via internet, with a nationally recognised set of guidelines. When moving around just let each state know when you come and go etc etc.

It would be a pain in the bum for businesses. There still does need to be some sort of local influence in final decision making. But having similar guidelins for all states and territories would be better for all.
FollowupID: 568178

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:08

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:08
I have zero intrest i national rego because without a doubt it would adopt the lowest common deniminator registration circus
NSW
AnswerID: 302122

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:19

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:19
I don't see National Rego in the US & how many States do they have. Why would anyone want say the NSW system whereapon you get a overzealous garage mechanic who want's to make a Quid & knocks you back over a minor thing. I know of one bloke that was told his Swivel hubs were shot when all it needed was a wheel bearing adjustment. I'll take the QLD system thanks !
FollowupID: 568152

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:21

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:21
Sorry Davoe this wasn't meant to come up under your Post !
FollowupID: 568153

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:40

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:40
Gday Davoe,
I wouldnt mind national rego. as long as they dont do like you say and give us the crappiest compined rules and fees across Aust.
FollowupID: 568159

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:09

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 13:09
If you have property in a different state then you can get away with keeping your rego in your original state. If however you are working in a diffent state on a permanent basis and living there full time, then the 3 month law applies. A real pain in the arse law it is.

Alternatively, take a few dfays off and drive over the border to the NT for a short holiday. Then you may re-enter for a 3 month period of rego grace....lol Just watch out for the Fruit Fly Man.
AnswerID: 302123

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:18

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:18
Gday Willem,
Happy Birthday!!!

See ThreadID: 57274

LMAO
FollowupID: 568163

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:30

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:30
Hairy

If you find a parcel in your mail box going Tick Tick Tick you will know who it is from.........hahahahahahahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 568168

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:41

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 14:41
I dont care what they all say about you Willem!!!
Your alright!

All I need is a watch band and you going to send me the whole watch. ( I would prefer digital though)

Cheers Mate
LOL
FollowupID: 568170

Reply By: DIO - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:49

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:49
Yep that's he law. One 'consolation' could be that you won't have to (shouldn't have to) pay Stamp Duty again. At least that's the system in most states. Until we do away with State Govts. then there is very little chance that such requirements would ever become nationwide. Too much money (tax/fees/stamp duty and other charges) involved. You always have the option of presenting your case to your local MP in the hope that they might be interested in seeking changes to suit your requirements. p.s. you should also get a refund from the State that you have moved from. That could help to off-set the change-over. By the way, there is already a Federal Rego. system in place for certain classes of Heavy Vehicles. Guess that's a start in the right direction.
AnswerID: 302159

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:52

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:52
And licences and registration is only the start. What about education, trade ticlets etc...

We haven't even got a National Railway line that is exactly the same gauge all around the country...
AnswerID: 302160

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:05

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:05
Couldn't agree more Barnesy. I work in the mining industry and have shifted into different states 8 times in 6 years. I used a relatives address in QLD (my home state) for about 5 years for rego but changed Licence when ever my current one ran out. Changing Licences is easy - no change in money, they just adopt the original expiry date.

The chances of you being found out for being in a state for more than 3 months is negligable - unless you get pulled over by the cops regulary for doing the wrong thing. I've lived in towns with a poulation of less than 5000 for over 12 months and never even been pulled over let alone given a warning. In a capital city you have buckly's chance of being noticed.

I've only just changed my SA rego over to NSW even though I've been here for 11 months because I know now that I will be staying in NSW for atleast a couple of years.

You should try changing your shooters licence over between states....now that is a head foc!!!

I've got a young family and as someone else mentioned education is a joke too. Leave grade 1 in one state mid year and go into grade 2 at the next state (or vice versa)........just STUPID.

All I can say is that neither you or I will be around by the time the states agree on any of this!!
AnswerID: 302181

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:43

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:43
As a Defence family Hughesy, I hear what you say.

It is interesting though that the States managed to agree (some time ago) on a system for deucting points from interstate licences for traffic offences.

Matt.
FollowupID: 568262

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 09:27

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 09:27
Hughsey more likley than youd think. WA coppers frequently pull people over for liscense checks and i was questioned numerous times about my SA plated vehicle. I would also show my SA liscense (I had both) and claim I was a tourist. I was busted once when they found my minesite entry card on the dash (let me off telling me to change rego). - And no on no occasion was i doing the wrong thing. In towns like Kal they are pretty on to that due to all the interstaters
FollowupID: 568326

Reply By: Louie the fly - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:21

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:21
Barnesy, if you run for PM I will vote for you. How true that we have a stupid licensing/rego system here. In fact, I reckon we are way too over-governed anyway. I reckon we should ditch all state governments in favour of a state "administration". You guys can have Media Mike (Rann) for your Governor.

Hey, maybe I should run for PM.
AnswerID: 302202

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:41

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:41
Yep Yep Yep.

But what to do with all the unemployed polliies and beaurocrats ??.

I know - just like all the other people displaced by govt decisions - they can always get work in the tourism industry.........pffft

A national system will be the one with the highest amount of theft ( oops - tax )

WELCOME TO NSW EVERY ONE
FollowupID: 568359

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 01:51

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 01:51
G'day Barnsey,

It won't be a problem for too much longer............

After Uncle Kev (I'm great in 08) regulates the transport industry into a national body, takes over the state health system (a warning given after the election that he would take over if the states couldn't get their act into gear and sort their problems out)
over-rides the state school administrators and impliments a Nation curriculum and standardises school holidays, has one Australian time zone (with daylight saving) etc, etc............
Do you really think that a nation vehicle registration system will be a problem?? LOL!

Cheers,
Wayne.

AnswerID: 302254

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 08:52

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 08:52
Barnesy

It is the result of our political system. It is not just your driver's licence and rego. It is a system of inefficiencies and red tape, with Federal and State Governments duplicating services.

Each state has its own laws. Howard whilst in Govt.... tried to get agreements in a lot of areas from all the states to have some uniform laws. Hence the Australian Road Rules.

A Rhodes Scholar named Bob Hawke when doing his thesis put forward the idea of changing the Australian Political System to a Federal Government and Larger Councils. The current powers of the States would be divided between the councils and the Federal Government.

When he became Prime Minister he didn't attempt to change the political system.

To do this would mean a successful referendum. We don't have them in Australia because people are afraid of change. The politicians would not support it because it would mean having themselves voted out of a job.

We continue to have the largest number of politicians per head of capita in the world.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 302275

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:47

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 13:47
Damn................we used to be the third not so long back.

Next time we have a 20 million budget surplus, I want my million, a free and freely given passport, as should be my right as a 5th gen aussie and I'm out of here.

Would rather go to a tinpot country and accept it for what it is, than continue watching the downhill slide here.
FollowupID: 568360

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:55

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:55
Kumunara, I have a nationally recognised (sorry internationally recognised) university degree and qualifications but a state by state recognised practising certificate.

I'm currently working interstate in WA but need to keep this practising certificate updated as well as my old one from SA. If the SA one lapses it means 10 times the headaches when I want to work in SA again. This means 2 lots of fees, 2 lots of paperwork, 2 lots of red tape and 3 times the pains in the bum each year!

I don't see how Hawkes idea on the 2 tier system would work, we still need the 3 tiered but with more communication and collaboration between each of these states. We still need some local influence on a larger scale than just local councils. Long distance communication is so easy nowadays that there is no excuse for governments at all levels not to collaborate more.

But then I suppose a polly is still a polly.........

Barnesy
FollowupID: 568517

Sponsored Links