Dingo Proof fences and grids Fraser Island

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 15:36
ThreadID: 57328 Views:2157 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Daily paper in Brisbane at the week-end ran a photo of a dingo walking across the dingo-proof grid. Government rep said they were not finished yet as they are going to be electified. Can just imagine coming back from a swim and hopping across the grid - wow. Local said grids were already filling up with sand and will soon be useless. The basic cause of the dingos being a pest which is back-packers and tourists ignoring common sense and feeding the dingos is still being ignored.

Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:10

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:10
Having just come back from Fraser Island, i'd say the problem is systemic of the way mainly Backpackers treat this place and their stay. Throw a set of top-heavy Troopcarrier keys at 11 backpackers with little/no experience in this environment (apparently there was a DVD that they should have watched), leave tyres at 42 PSI, limit their travels (which they ignore anyway) and you have a recipe for ignorance of the rules. Plaster signs everywhere of the $3000 fine and they will still ignore them.

Maybe some better patrolling of the area by Rangers, may help towards educating/enforcing the situation at hand.

Andrew
AnswerID: 302340

Reply By: Hairs - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:14

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:14
Hi Mikee5,

Unfortunately we can’t out law stupidity and ignorance.
I Wish we could.

Hairs
AnswerID: 302341

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:32

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:32
There is a pedestrian gate right next door to the grid.

The grids also include a series of 'trip wires' when completed.

and I'd rather see more backpackers than latte sipping, champagne flute toting bus trips anyday. At least the backpackers have an 'island' experience.
AnswerID: 302345

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (QLD) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:41

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:41
"Unfortunately we can’t out law stupidity and ignorance"

If we could then the Govt would be the first. The cost of these fences is ridiculous. The damage done to the environment. Tremendous. The effectiveness of the entire deal Nil.

The grids are to be electrified but when questioned about the effect this might have on children the response was that they would just feel a slight tingle. Will this then deter a dog. I doubt it but I don't like the idea of putting children through the process.i

Quite apart from the sand filling the grids and falling away from the bottom of the fence the problems were never created within the residential areas.

The removal of the brumbies together with the loss of all small wildlife eg rodents etc, because the dingo numbers were allowed to increase beyond the capacity of the island, along with the backpackers and dune campers would seem to have been the root cause.

But you have to admit they (the EPA) have been seen to being doing something. Right or wrong it will be justified as cost effective and environmentaly sound.
Furthermore you had better like it because you paid for it.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 302348

Follow Up By: Mav1 - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 21:46

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 21:46
Whats a dune camper? Is it a beach camper for what I've been for last 25 years. I always camp on the northern side of waddy to get away from the back packers. I don't think the normal beach camper encourages the locals and are generally fairly dingo aware from what i've experienced over time.
FollowupID: 568458

Reply By: MartyB - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 21:40

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 21:40
Stuffed if i know why these fences are such big news. They have been around Kingfisher & Central campground for a while now. When they are electrified they do work keeping the dingoes out. Some smartass took the photo before they were electrified and the papers made a big thing out if it. Typical press, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
There was also a story of an old lady who got a chopper ride off the island after falling over when walking over the grid. Obviously not smart enough to use the gate beside the grid.
All the carryon about the environmental damage clearing for the fences, the damage is the same as if a new road was pushed through. Surely we don't want to ban roads on the island.
Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

from Marty.
AnswerID: 302414

Sponsored Links