Clare Region SA

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 19:44
ThreadID: 57338 Views:6126 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm heading to Clare for a few days and staying at the caravan park.
Are there any self drive 4wd drive tracks in the area?

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 20:10

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 20:10
It's all fairly civilized around Clare. The Caravan Park is set a fair way out of town. The Tourist drives are well documented and you might get a bit of dust (or mud today) on the vehicle. Nearby Burra has a nice picnic and camping spot Burra Creek Gorge Nothing very challenging there.

You would have to drive to Orroroo to find real 4WD stuff at
Bendleby Ranges
Very good camping and testing tracks on a Farm Stay. It will cost you $$ though.

Kingo
AnswerID: 302395

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 20:12

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 20:12
Hopefully Pesty will be along any moment to enlighten you; he lives in a small village (Blyth) just out of Clare....

As far as I'm aware, there isn't much need for the stubby lever in and around Clare, but there may be some touring (wineries etc) that you can get yourself into.

If you find yourself 100klm west of Clare, give me nudge....I'm at Kadina.....

Roachie
AnswerID: 302396

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:44

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:44
Yep as much as I hate to admit it Roachie is right, the dust will remain on the stubby one around Clare.
All rubberneck stuff here.
Flinders or Beaches are where we have to go for some fun
Give us a bell if I can help you more, number behind rig pic.

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 568476

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:58

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:58
Hi pafc
Don't take any notice of Pesty, he only lives in West Clare...
We do not have any 4 wheel drive tracks as such, but you will find many fine drives in the Valley. Head out to Spring Gully, Polish Hill River, or take your bikes and ride the Riesling Trail, or inspect the site where the remains of Burk and Wills rested, while being recovered and taken back to Melbourne in Pioneer/Maynard Park.
Take a visit to the Anglican Cemetery at Penwortham and find the grave of a very important, but little known explorer, John Horrocks.

Horrocks was the first person to bring a camel into Australia for exploration work. The camel lurched and Horrocks gun discharged, shooting himself in the face, north of Port Augusta.
Making their way back to his home in Penwortham(a hollowed out tree) the mortally wounded Horrocks was brought back to Penwortham. An Aboriginal man travelling with them, ran for 8 hours to Adelaide for medical help, but when help arrived, poor Horrocks had died. He was laid to rest in the area that he loved so much and was buried in true explorer fashion, his grave faces North/South, with the conventional way East/West

Clare is a great place to live and visit and you will find plenty to keep yourself occupied.

Enjoy you stay in our great town.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 302442

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:27

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:27
Yep, was right the first time, All rubberneck stuff around here, with a bit of history chucked in for good measure. LOL

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 568492

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:43

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:43
Hi Steve
You forgot to give Page's Store a plug!

See ya
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 568495

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 00:17

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 00:17
Hi 'locals'

We visited the Clare Valley in January 2005 - lush and green in contrast to the rest of SA which is so dry. I wanted to see Penwortham, the place where my late Grandfather (and most of his brothers) were born. He called his farm over here in the west Penwortham, after Penwortham SA, so it was a 'must visit' place for me.

We approached via Snowtown, driving almost into Blyth (where I'm sure we gave way to a pest control vehicle), heading south the east across the Skilly Hills on a steep and winding dirt track, coming into the valley near Leasingham.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568935

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:57

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:57
Hi Motherhen
How long did your grandfather live in Penwortham, by the sounds of it quite some time. It is a very pretty spot and you can see why he must have loved it so much.
With my shot at Steve (Pesty), there is always that small town rivalry, we call those plains people West Clare people, but they call us valley people East Blyth people.
If you are over this way again, time it around autumn, as the colours are pretty.

All the Best

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 568969

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 10:51

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 10:51
Hi Stephen

It was a very long time ago. His Father was 'Inspector of Schools' and it seems he travelled all over SA, leaving Mum at home in Penwortham with the babies. He was only a young child when they left to come to the good side of Oz

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568994

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:25

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:25
Apart from the listed tourist sites in the brochures there are a few dirt drives that you could consider. All will be pretty straight foward with one exception - RAIN - which will make the going quite testing especially if you find yourself in the black soil country north of Blyth.
You could drive north through Clare past the racecourse at Stanley Flat, past the Spalding turn-off, keep left where the Main Nth Rd deviates right and head off onto Lookout Rd. This will take you down through Benbournie heading west then some km's down head south and you'll finish up at Blyth. You could then head south from Blyth down through the tracks to Bowillia then s/east to Kybunga and make your wake up the 'escarpment' through to Spring Gully Conversation Park. Thereafter head east and you'll finish up back at the Caravan Park.
Another 'jaunt' head south back to Sevenhill, through town to Mintaro turn-off, follow road detour through Polish Hill River, follow back tracks past Mt Rufus to Mintaro, check out Martindale Hall then head north back through Mintaro to Farrell Flat, onto Burra and World's End Gorge then make your way back to Clare. Mostly dirt road driving, a few creek crossings, perhaps a bit of soft going (mud) some claypan "tracks' and the inevitable bitumen.

Either of these 'outings' are clearly indicated on maps and you shouldn't get lost. Give you a great opportunity to see a diverse range of country and not at all hard on your vehicle.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 302447

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:53

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:53
Hi DIO
You have mentioned a few roads that only locals would know. You have been let down by one word only? It was changed a few years back, but the back road to Blyth was always the Bumburnie Road.
Then there is the Old Stanley Copper Mine, that was in place before the other mines, the only problem, not enough copper.

The forcast for the next few days should be good.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 568496

Sponsored Links