warm babies

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 22:04
ThreadID: 57340 Views:2358 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have twin boys who have just turned one. Over Easter we ventured out on our first cold/wintery camping trip with the boys and at night they woke several times which is quite unusual for them. We think that they were probably cold. Does anyone who has littlies have any advice or suggestions on how to keep little ones warm in their portacots during cold nights? Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Littleborgy (SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 22:51

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 22:51
Hi pafc,

We bought our 2 girls some thermal underwear to put under their pyjamas... Worked a treat.

Got them from Ray's Outdoors & from memory they weren't too expensive (about $10 per item).

Otherwise, the only thing i can think of is to pack extra blankets.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Brad
AnswerID: 302420

Reply By: WA 1968 - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 23:15

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 23:15
We used to pack extra blankets. One other thing we did was put a blanket underneath the matress to prevent cooler air from coming up through the matress. This seemed to work a treat.

AnswerID: 302421

Follow Up By: ddr - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:39

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:39
We do the same. & found its just as important to have GOOD bedding/blankets underneath than ontop of the kids.

Old Sheep skin is great for keeping the cold out from the bottom, but we still usually put a good wool blanket ontop of it also.
FollowupID: 568488

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:04

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:04
pafc,

When our young bloke was 6 months, we had him camping and the cold was a concern. We were looking around Katmandu (the shop, not town;)) and came across a polar fleece sleeping suit. it has no individual legs, like a sleeping bag, a hood and arms. at the end of the arms are some fold over cuffs, so they can have their arms free, or closed in at night for extra warmth. Worked a treat and become a very beneficial tool for use at home aswell.

It would pay to have a look around at some of the different outdoor and adventure shops such as Ranger, Paddy Palin Kathmandu, Mountain designs
AnswerID: 302427

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 01:12

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 01:12
Those fleece sleping suit/bags are great, we used one with our first child.

What are the kids sleeping on?? most cold discomfort comes from what you are lying on!

If they are on some sort of air mat, then get rid of it, these are the worst bedding in cold weather, only marginally better is any form of bare stretcher.

A closed cell foam mat is probably the best bet (you could cut up a cheap one to fit in the portacot, little ones don't need/want much 'softness' in the bed, alternatively a self inflator is great...

If you have all this covered already, I'd have a look at the sleep suit/bags...

Our kids both refused to use portacots, we just had them in with us, made tempurature regulation really simple...
AnswerID: 302430

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:25

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:25
We use warm blankets to sleep on (and under) and the kathmandu suits.

but only buy things there when they have their 1/2 price sales which might still be on.
AnswerID: 302445

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:37

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:37
And your planning to go camping at Clare?
I suggest if you are concerned that you get a powered site and take a small fan heater and leave it on all night.
This is the coldest part of the year in Clare and the caravan park is amoungst the coldest.

Cheers Pesty
AnswerID: 302452

Reply By: andoland - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:44

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:44
We used to have the same problem. One thing we would do in addition to what has been mentioned already is to put a blanket(s) over the top of the cot to keep some warm air inside the cot.

Ando
AnswerID: 302470

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:28

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:28
We have the same thing happen alot so I make them wear 2 pairs of pj's and when Amy was 1 on our desert trip I had those bonds sleeping bags with the arms and they did the trick...it stopped her from walking in her cot.......but she was warm!
there has been lots of acvice....hope something helps!

Laura
AnswerID: 302476

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:40

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:40
pafc

thermals under the pj's and a good sleeping bag and they will be toasty. Our boy was 1 1/2 camping last winter in Margies, SW WA, and it gets pretty cold down this way and he was fine. Hardest part was finding thermals small enough but ya just roll the arms/legs up.He would kick off a blanket so a little mini sleeping bag was a better option as he couldn't wriggle out as easy.

Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 302477

Reply By: kym111 - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 00:28

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 00:28
Hi Pafc
I agree with the sleeping/gro bags. My 20mth can't keep blankets on, and I worry about her getting cold.
I've just been given a pattern for a sleeping bag with & without arms & cuffs, so if you're a bit of a sewing expert (this isn't a hard pattern), I can scan & forward it to you. It goes up to about a size 1-2.
email me on kym111@bigpond.net.au if you'd like a copy.
AnswerID: 302605

Sponsored Links