Expanda service overpriced?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 22:44
ThreadID: 57342 Views:3689 Replies:12 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

We currently have our 18ft Jayco Expanda in for a service and we are quite shocked with the price. My husband had rung a few places to get a price for the service and was told by this place it would be about $200-$250 plus the price of the bearings. Well the price is currently at $1,000!!!

They have changed the bearings because the caravan is about 2.5 years old and as we are about to leave for our trip from Adelaide to Darwin and then down the WA coast we thought it better to be "safe than sorry" (the caravan had previously done a similar trip before we bought it). They told my husband it took them 6.5hrs to change the bearings ($240 for the labour to do this) - is this about right?

They also had to change the connection & gas hose from the gas
bottles to the caravan because whatever was there was apparently illegal. I think this cost about $150-$200.

How much do other people pay to get their tandem axle caravan serviced? Maybe this is about right or maybe we are getting taken for a ride?!

Also the bathroom sealant has broken away between the wall gaps and the back of the toilet and the walls really flex alot. Is this
normal? The service guy has said he hasn't seen the walls flex that
much before. My husband has said he can put some packers in the joins to brace it a bit better before resealing it. Has anyone else had this problem with their bathroom?

The full/empty guage on the toilet has broken. Is it worthwhile
getting this fixed as we have to wait 5 days for the part? With two children we probably should change the toilet most days anyway I think!!

Hope someone can help as we feel a little out of our depth at the
moment!!

Regards
Leanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:38

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:38
6.5 hours to do wheel bearings on a caravan, If I a non trained self taught mechanic, could not do it in under 1 hour I would be extremely embarrassed.

If the gas fitting was there from new and is now illegal, that would be a recall to me.

I would not pay the bill, I would grab this thief by the throat and give him one hell if a wake up.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 302428

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:47

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 00:47
$37.00 / hour they could take as much time as they needed..LOL

6.5 hr charged $240.00 something not right...
FollowupID: 568477

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:01

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 08:01
leeb1973
It's a Jayco!! That's unfortunately your problem. There are so many Jayco dealers around because they have a continuous supply of customers with repair work required! But that aside I think this guy is taking you for a ride. 6.5 hrs for wheel bearings is ridiculous!!! Hard to comment on the gas line issue without more detail. What exactly did he say he replaced and what part of it was "illegal"? As for the sealant, Jayco only warrant their sealant for 12 months!!! AND, it's the owner's responsibility to inspect it at regular intervals and have it replaced as required. I am currently in dispute with them over a 2.5 year old roof which leaked and they are refusing to accept responsibility because I didn't regularly climb on the roof and inspect the sealant. As far as the gauge is concerned, if it is sourced from Jayco I would be very surprised if they supplied it within 5 days and given their reputation for quality it probably won't last long anyway. it is not uncommon to wait 4 or 5 months for a spare part from Jayco. I waited 4 months for a stove cover and then they sent the wrong one. Friends waited 5 months for a new kitchen top on their BRAND NEW camper after the original was found to be cracked on delivery.

tessa
AnswerID: 302438

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:28

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 09:28
did he get approval to fix gas problem?..if not dont pay him for that part of the work...

i'm with the rest...6.5 hrs to do bearings is just a TAD TOO much to accept...say at least 4hrs and then he'd still have time for a siesta
AnswerID: 302448

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:17

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:17
If the gas connection was legal as at the date of manufacture & was functioning correctly, then they had no right to change it.
AnswerID: 302463

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:52

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:52
Why did you change the bearings? Normally you only change them if they're stuffed. Surelly they couldn't all be buggered?

We ran the same bearings for 5 years and just made sure they were regularily cleaned and repacked.

One thing with vans is learn how to do some of the maintenance yourself.

Yeh, whats the story with the gas hose. It must have been compliant at sale or its was not roadworthy for rego. Illegal? How? Was the gas system inspected by a licensed gas fitter or just the caravan service guy's hearsay?

How hard is it to squirt some Sikafelx into a shower gap? Its a highly flexible sealant (polyurethane) available from Bunnings for around $15 a cartridge. You'll find old mate would have used some cheap silicon

AnswerID: 302495

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 16:06

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 16:06
I change the bearings and seals (dual axle boat trailer) at the beginning of every race season. (Coz it gets a lot of dunking into salt water)..
A bit practised now- but I'd reckon 2 hours with a coffee break..

AnswerID: 302508

Reply By: Dunaruna - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 18:30

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 18:30
A tandem service should cost about $230 plus parts, the job takes about 2.5 hrs. I can describe (in detail) exactly what is involved if you wish.

In a service, the bearing need to be cleaned and inspected, if they are faulty it only adds about half an hour per axle to replace them (everything is already pulled apart and cleaned, the only 'extra' is replacing the cones). The only thing that could add 6.5 hrs is if the bearings are absolutely stuffed and seized on the spindle, in which case the axle is probably toast also. It only takes a hour or so to replace the axle so their figure of 6.5 to replace the bearings is outright bullmanure, you have been taken.

Nothing should be replace without the customers consent except for the hub seals, they get changed regardless. All old parts should be offered to you for viewing.

A note on LPG work, it is a legal requirement for repair shops to notify the customer of any faults, it is up to the customer to give the go ahead. All LPG repairs require a certificate of compliance which you should be given.
AnswerID: 302531

Follow Up By: Angler - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:33

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:33
That price seems about right to me also.

Bearing should last for years if they haven't been dunked in the salt or run dry.

Gas certificate is about $50.00 and must be done (in Qld) after any gas work.

6.5 hours for replacing four bearings is ridiculous.

Pooley
FollowupID: 568647

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:38

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:38
I believe the certificate is an Aussie wide regulation, must be performed by a registered plumber.
FollowupID: 568850

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 19:39

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 19:39
Sounds like yet another attempted service industry rip-off ! IF the gas was off-spec, that woud be a Jayco issue - the bearings service can be done at home for about $150 max including parts and grease. Brakes would be extra re parts. With no advice after the initial estimate, you should be able to avoid this scandal.
AnswerID: 302546

Reply By: lancie49 - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:43

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:43
Leanne, I'm with everyone else on this. I'm afraid you found one of the bad eggs in the industry.
They are in all industries, and often we don't know about it till we get bitten.
Sounds like Leanne may need a little advice as to the steps she should take to avoid having to outlay for this 'work'.
Have you already paid the invoice, do you have a written invoice and receipt, were you given a written quote, did you authorise any of the 'extra work', have you kept notes of all conversations with the service people.

What can be done about this chaps ?
How should it be handled ?

Lance

AnswerID: 302560

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 16:55

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 16:55
They must have seen you coming.
Man you were taken for a ride.
Get hold of your Road Service association( NRMA, RAC vic etc) and ask them to check it out.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 302720

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 23:41

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 23:41
I wouldn't argue about the cost of doing the bearings but I would get most grumpy about them not ringing me first to ask if I wanted the gas work done, and advising me that he actually is licensed to do the gas work.
AnswerID: 302808

Reply By: leeb1973 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 18:58

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 18:58
Just a quick note to thank everyone for their replies re this issue. I
agree that we have been overcharged but we are looking at it as a learning experience & next time I will ask on the forum for recommendations!!! :)

I would like to clarify however that the gas work was changed by the previous owner and was not by Jayco and the service guy did ask us if we wanted it changed before he did it.

We are now very busy and looking forward to leaving on our big adventure this Thursday. It's a bit scary and sad but also very exciting.

Thanks again for your input.

Leanne
AnswerID: 303284

Sponsored Links