Brand New - Want to hit the road

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:06
ThreadID: 57393 Views:2462 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.

We're two 9-5ers and want to get out of the city and spend some time driving around Aus and working as we go. Unfortunately, neither of us have any experience in such a long haul trip and don't really know where to start. Obviously we need to buy a vehicle and either a camper trailer or a caravan and then go from there. I've been doing my research on both options but I'd appreciate any advice that the experienced people can give me.
Ideally, we'd like to be on the road for about 12 months, but staying in various places where we find work for up to 2 or 3 months if the money is good.
We're both in our late 20s so this isn't a retirement plan, but rather an opportunity to see Aus and work our way around.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:15

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:15
Where do you come from.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 302724

Follow Up By: NewbieBrooke - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:30

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:30
Woops, probably should have mentioned that.
We're in Perth. My parents are in Darwin, so my first thought is to drive north and try and take advantage of all the booming mine towns along the way.
FollowupID: 568846

Reply By: Dunaruna - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:48

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:48
If a toilet and shower and a few extra creature comforts are required then I vote for caravan. If that stuff doesn't bother you then a camper would do nicely, as long as you are o/k with the limited room and setup/pull down scenario.
AnswerID: 302731

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:55

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 17:55
For the type of trip you are contemplating a caravan would be more comfortable. If you feel you need the space that you can achieve with a large camper trailer you can add an annex for your longer stops.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568857

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:52

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:52
If you guys are looking to stop in one place for a while and work I would also recommend a caravan. I think living in a camper is more suited to being in any one place for a short time and moving regularly.
Whatever you decide, GO FOR IT and enjoy

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 568914

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 18:03

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 18:03
Whatever rig you decide to get, do a few short trips first, before you set out on your big adventure. That way you will have a better chance of having the gear that you need, knowing how to use it, and having it set up so that it all works together.

Have a great trip, Im sure that you will not regret it.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 302734

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:21

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:21
All Val says, and -

Also see if you can hire a camper trailer, load it up with all you think you'd need for 12 month's living, and try it out over a long weekend (maybe one with a bit of wind and rain while you are setting up?). Hire and try out other rigs before you make the final decision of what to buy.

If i had my life again, I'd do the big tour while young enough to work our way around, and before family tied us down (for ever and ever and ever - 6th Grandchild due soon).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568918

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:07

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:07
With the economy the way it is , now is the time to do it.

When my wife and I first got married, the 'big trip' normally meant overseas, which we did. Worked for four years without holidays and then went overseas for 10 months. But the aussie dollar was stronger then. That trip helped to cement the relationship, but it was a test at times. So you need to be sure it is definitely something you both want to do, and carry through. Then it will happen.

We used to have a recession every 5 to 7 years, so planning to have the time off, and knowing you could find work wasn't as easy as it is now.

As suggested above, we started with short trips and gone from there, having a couple of months to see an area now every year or so.

I had to introduce my better half to camping. I came from a camping family, while my wife did not. She loved it, and we finally got a system sorted out as to what are considered basic acceptable levels for bush camping, and a splurge in a caravan park every now and then. The first few weeks are still holiday, but after that it can become a grind at times. We found we get 'home sick' every couple of months for a couple of weeks, and just have to work our way through it. Every person is different.
AnswerID: 302823

Reply By: Members - Chris/Lindsay (VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 11:32

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 11:32
Back in 1983 we were in our mid twenties and did the same thing. We were working and travelling for a year. We found it worked well to tow a second hand caravan and take a tent for off road trips. We stored our van at places like Derby and tented the Gibb River Rd etc. It was nice to have the comfort of the van to come back to and we could still bring our books and wetsuits etc. Campertrailers can't go everywhere. I would probably choose a medium pop top now and take an oztent on the packrack. Of course we are 4wd fanatics so we did some pretty rough tracks. We picked apples and worked on a cattle station for 3 months. Have a fantastic trip. Christine.
AnswerID: 303023

Sponsored Links