Catalyst, 4Wd and beaches.

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 20:56
ThreadID: 57403 Views:2846 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I imagine that many of us watched Catalyst tonight. There will probably be a number of posts being typed up right now. I'll vote for banning 4Wd's on beaches completely.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:03

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:03
Yeh....I seen that, killing millions eh , Hmmmm I thought about the trillions that will replace the lost millions.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 302773

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:06

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:06
That doesn't mesh with the results the study was finding.
FollowupID: 568899

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 23:00

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 23:00
Mfewster
Are you trying to say in a roundabout way your one the greenie Pi$$ me off mob , If you are don't bother replying ,
P7OFFROAD's post makes a lot of sense ,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 568928

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:05

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:05
You're thread is 57403, check out thread 57402.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 302774

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:08

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:08
I think 57402 and I watched at the same time, and immediately went to the keyboard and posted together.
FollowupID: 568901

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:23

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:23
That makes you an even slower typist than me - took you an extra 16 minutes to post. If you go to thread 57402 there is a link to go and watch the programme.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568905

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:32

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:32
Nomadic, I'm a very slow typist. Did you read my second sentence of the post by the way?
FollowupID: 568909

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:42

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:42
Yes - I refrained from being so controversial.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 568910

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:51

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:51
No, that was the third sentence. The one I meant was the second sentence where I said there were probably a whole bunch of us all on our keyboards at the same time.
FollowupID: 568913

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:50

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:50
Let me think now...I know....you didn't watch the Logies either...silverback
FollowupID: 568925

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:31

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:31
Ah,. I have just realized. Navara lives in NSW. I am in SA. There is a time difference in when the show is aired. The segment had not quite finished here when I reached for the keyboard.
FollowupID: 568962

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:56

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:56
Just be very aware... the same people that are calling for an end to beach driving are also calling for an end to any (including foot) tracks through dunes, now depending on your definition of a 'dune' that would close our beaches completely.

IMHO there aren't many beaches that we can drive on, in the grand scheme of things, and there is an awful lot of 'beach' below the low water mark even on the beaches that we can drive on.

To me, the benefit of being able to 'connect' our children with the environment, out weighs the loss (remember that this is just one, incomplete study) of some mini critters on a very small percentage of our coastline.

If our kids aren't immersed in the environment, they won't defend it in the fuure
AnswerID: 302791

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:04

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:04
Did Harrold Scrubbing brush have anything to do with the study?

Duncs
AnswerID: 302795

Reply By: F4Phantom - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:42

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:42
There is a lot of unknowns in this story and I believe all stories like this are very short sighted to say the very least. I didnt catch how quickly the animals recover, eg if we stop driving on the beach will they all be back in 2 months? if its a short time then bugger it, use the beach. We dont really drive on beaches at all. Look at the %ages, do we use 0.1% of beaches to drive on? (any one know?) Do these guys live in houses, our houses, tips and cities & roads kill a lot more creatures in the soil. I am all for green technology and environment but I say its all about priorities. We currrently build new coal powered power stations by the thousands around the world, pump millions of tonnes of green house gasses every day, we are screwing the earth faster than we know what is happening. Global warming is set to kill thousands of species of animals and a lot of the worlds population will ultimately die. So I say attack the big problems, get oil powered cars off the road, use less coal and all the rest. Compared to all this I dont really care about digging up a dirt track in the bush which will be overgorwn in 6 months, making bog holes which wont exsist in 12 months and a few million tiny sand animals which are uneffected just 3 metres away and after we stop driving will be back in action as if we had never been there. To stop sand driving to me is very much a deck chair straightening excercise on the titanic.
AnswerID: 302801

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 02:20

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 02:20
I have to confess I drove on that Beach Twice this week.

I had an important Mission ..................................................we didn't have any memorable memories of this summer. - We'd been far too busy this year.

My family had been working far too much, Kids have part time jobs, and are in final years of school. My wife works Sundays and Mondays We hadnt been out on a day trip as a whole family for ages best we could do was 2 kids and I on Monday (Labour Day holiday in Qld) escaped up the beach for part of the day.
It was the last of that magic summery weather,
On Wednesday Morning My son jumped on our Bed and said "We have to get mum out of the house or she will go crazy"

"Lets take her where we went on Monday". (Oh and hang school!)

What is a guy to do? It was the last chance to enjoy a day together at the end of autumn. It was a magic day you know you will remember forever.

Do we Let her do the banking and the shopping or...........
Image Could Not Be Found

Off Up the Noosa North Shore to Rainbow Beach
Luckily we Australians have the freedom to go and spend some time and enjoy one of the most beautiful places in the World.

Image Could Not Be Found

But back to the Topic and the Invertibrates we ran over. (Dont want my post deleted for being off topic)
We actually discussed on the day if pippies were hurt by 4wds but we couldnt find any empty shells to suggest they were killed.

But we didnt think about the smaller critters.

We are far more concerned with the lack of wildlife generally, Cane toads Foxes and Feral Cats have wiped out most of the wild life in Cooloola.

The Sunshine Coast has a very poor environmental record to date. A far more relevant issue is the visible loss of habitat and wildlife because of over development in the region. The researchers would be far more productive in looking for all the possums, echidnas, platypuses wallabies, qualls, bandicoots, frogs spiders, snakes and native birds, that have gone missing in the last 30 years.
As they say, "there are billions of sand critters on the beach" they are not endangered.
Image Could Not Be Found

I was also shocked to see on Monday Telstra ripping a swathe through the Cooloola National Park (Beside the Cooloola Way) to lay a cable to Rainbow Beach. Shocking mess.

So we need to keep these things in perspective.Image Could Not Be Found

And Yes if we take our kids to these places Like I did on Monday and Wednesday they will become far more proactive in protecting what little natural environment THEY have left - instead of hanging around shopping centres and computers.

Image Could Not Be Found

Ok Im off my soapbox and heres some pictures of what 19 million Aussie Kids and Adults Missed out on, Looking at Rainbow Beach on Wednesday 7th May 2008 A day I will never forget - this is what dreams are made of.

Lets not lose the freedom to do it when we need to.

Kerry W

Oh Cripes ..and If Michelle and David read this (I was supposed to be working on ExplorOz stuff all Day Wed....you see) at least I did some hands on road conditions reports and... I took the GPS to start putting together some trek notes Ive been promising to do.. ah what the heck . ...:-) Perth is miles away...

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 302811

Follow Up By: 3.0turbob - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:46

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:46
Great pics and story Kerry, glad you enjoyed the day, and may there be many more.

Rob
FollowupID: 568966

Reply By: Willem - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 04:28

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 04:28
Yes, emotive stuff.

One can get carried away by the implications

BUT......Did you know?

THAT....each human body harbours around 30,000 little life forms (mites) which crawl in and around the particles of our skin(these are the the creatures that make your skin itch). Every time you scratch yourself or wash yourself you are killing a few thousand of these mites. Inherently they are good creatures that keep your skin healthy by eating the dead flaky bits

SHOULD we stop Scratching or better still stop Washing?

There, I have made myself itch!!!!! LOL

There are millions of ants getting killed every day by our actions here on this planet. Should we stop moving around alltogether?

I do sincerely wish that these programs(and perpetuated by others) desist from calling creatures 'critters'.

Cheers
AnswerID: 302813

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:37

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:37
Sorry Willem, as you know I have a certain responsibility when I post not to say anything that could offend anyone in any way.

So having proofread my post several times I was sure nobody could "get me" for saying any thing out of place. But you got me fair and square,. So I do apologize for using the inappropriate, Americanized word "Critters".

It was that wonderful naturalist and herbal healer of the 60s "Granny Clampett" who made sure we will never see the end of that word in our language.

hope this apology is enough.

Kerry W
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 568965

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:56

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:56
HI Kerry

No need to apologise. You didn't upset me. I was merely drawing attention to the fact that so many words in our language are being Americanised and perpetuated mainly by TV Programs and some users here on this forum.

We have had our say about spelling, grammar and vocablulary on the forum from time to time with the FOR and AGAINST factions in full swing. And then there is the Americanisation of words. Maybe it is [art of globalisation but I am not in favour of it :-)

Some good pics of the Noosa Beach there. I have been for a walk on that beach once upon a time when I used live in the sunny state closeby.

Cheers
FollowupID: 568968

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 13:16

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 13:16
Tongue was firmly implanted in cheek!
Kerry W (Qld)
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 569020

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:01

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:01
I'll try just one reply.
Thank you Kerry for that superb post. All the things that we all really love about bush and beaches and the things we want our kids and their kids to have as well.
The real problem is that there are just too may of us (humans that is, not 4WDers.) We are throwing the system out of wack. Anyone want to suggest that we can all just continue having more and more cars ripping up and down beaches and bush tracks and we can keep building more and more roads and all the other infrastructure we keep putting in and nothing will ever change? Would anyone like to nominate a figure on how many vehicles can run up and down beaches and how often they can do this before the beaches and life systems suffer real damage. One reply noted how quickly bush tracks etc can recover. True. But we keep increasing the traffic and the recovery times get shorter and shorter. Somewhere, we have to cap all sorts of human activities if we want to keep all those bush/beach things we love.
The catalyst program admitted it was a preliminary study and needed more work and confirmation, but what they had was pretty alarming, I'd suggest, if you really like those beaches and want them to stay that way.
My much loved 4WD is what I use to get to the places I want to be, the places are not an excuse to run around in my favourite toy. So if the data starts to show that my 4WD is damaging the places, I will modify my use of the toy.

PS, As I saw the segment, it wasn't the little critters that were the problem, it was the impact on the rest of the foodchain that eat them.
AnswerID: 302833

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:36

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:36
I think the Professor has a credibility problem. He's using "4wds" purely to create publicity to raise his own profile. Bit like our friend Howard Scrubby.

He made reference to beaches not being "marine deserts". This suggests that he knows nothing about desert ecosystems.

He said the two beaches were identical, but if they sampled from the two beaches in the footage, they had vastly different profiles.

He fails to exclude the human factor. Perhaps he could use a swimming beach (lots of humans and no 4wds) as one of his controls.

And to put it in perspective, what percentage of Australian coastline beaches experience heavy 4wd traffic?

AnswerID: 302842

Sponsored Links