DIY Respray

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2008 at 01:32
ThreadID: 57408 Views:7763 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, as the old girl is looking a little worse for wear i was thinking of giving her a bit of a freshen up. Wanna hear from people who have ever done there own car before and might have some useful advice. I have done a bit of painting before but not with compressor and spray gun. It will be trying to save as much money as possible without being to cheap and ending up with a bad finish. I know that 90% of a good finish is the amount of preperation you put into it. There are no dents or dings just a tiny bit of surface rust that will sand out so its pretty much just sanding and priming for the prep.

It is only a 1990 Cruiser Trayback so there aint much to paint really. Only the exterior will be getting done not the inside or under boonet as its all still really good.

While i have the tray and bull bar and side steps off i wanna coat as much of the underneath as possible with some sort of rust proof paint, any ideas on a good brand or type? I will also be painting the underneath of the tray while im at it as its starting to get a little surface rust.

Does anyone know which brand of automotive paints are good value or know what (white) colour code the 75 series Cruisers were painted. Any advice or help would be great and much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:01

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:01
The colour code is on a plate usually on the firewall in the engine bay.
AnswerID: 302821

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:22

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:22
Hi tukka, resprayed a hand full of cars in my younger years and each one turned out better than the previous one. So I suppose its a 'practice' thing.
The last one, with a little advice from a bloke from a panel shop, turned out crisp as...
Just a few of his tips :

Use a simple straight forward auto paint [enamel / lacqeur].
Mix 50/50 paint and thinners in your gun.
Test spray on a piece of scrap to make adjustments on the gun.
When sraying, DON"T try and put too much on, several light coats with a light [wet & dry] sand between each coat.
When your happy with the paint build apply a couple of coats of clear.

His best bit of advice.....Prep, Patience, Practice.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers.....Lionel.
AnswerID: 302838

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 10:11

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 10:11
Use a simple straight forward auto paint [enamel / lacqeur].

Enamel should not be rubbed down in between its a once apply application generally-Coating depends on the cover,read the can and wait in between coats,if you don't it will run everywhere later...Everything around the vehicle needs to be watered down as so the dust does not stick to it,When at home spray on a windless day..Stays wet longer than lacquer.50/50 for enamel would be to much in my opinion..Make sure you thin with enamel thinners not lacquer thinners as some do..Just be aware that if you use enamel you cannot repair spray with lacquer down the track as the paint will pickle up...Just be aware enamel (and i'm talking the ol enamel floats in the air and sticks to everything like bleep e to a blanket) So tape off all the gaps in the doors,bonnet etc etc.In my opinion enamel is a skill to apply correctly and have a good finish..

Laquer does not need clear coat on straight colors although some people apply it,only use on metallics.

Two Pak paint is another issue and you'll find your local council would go bananas if someone complained and i believe it should only be applied in Panel Shops or very very small jobs at home if you want to chance it ..
Isocyanates get into your skin and its bad news.
Mate painted truck one day and ended up in hospital for two (bloody idiot,no protection)

If there is not much work to be done (dents etc etc) and youve never painted before i'd suggest you get someone to do it for you in a panel shop..
There are so many around you'll get a good deal somewhere...

Take the Diesel/Petrol cap off if its the same color and get an Automotive paint supplier to match the colour if you decide to do it yourself or as someone stated the silver plate under bonnet will have the number,If you want to put it up on here and i'll get the paint name for you off the brother in law.....

Dont mean to undermine your advice Lionel A

Cheers
FollowupID: 568986

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 10:44

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 10:44
Nah mate, no prob.
I'm going back 30 years or so, probably auto paints have come a long way since then.

Back then lacqeurs were the in thing, and enamel was the household stuff thinned with turps.

I remember an ol' boy back then had a contract to paint some of the aged Dennis fire trucks. He did it the ol' fashioned way by applying the paint by brush then cutting back by hand between each coat. Took him about 6 weeks to complete each truck and you wouldn't beleive the finish, like a mirror. Used household enamel straight from a 4 ltr tin.

Your spot on about 2paks etc. My workshop is next door to a Panel and Spray shop. Sometimes pop over for smoko with the lads and the spray area is like walking into a nuclear installation. Temp controlled, lighting, extraction systems, full body suits and breathing systems.

Cheers.....Lionel.
FollowupID: 568990

Follow Up By: Old Dave - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:10

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:10
Hi
I have sold and used 2 pack ISO-Free Paints and found them better than enamel and acrylic,
Use a primer-isolator first then a solid colour you can then put clear on for more protection,
The brand i sold and used was HiChem Motospray.
Regards
Dave
FollowupID: 568996

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:33

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:33
*I'm going back 30 years or so*

Not far behind ya LMAO,Did my spray painting app so i could get out of home,Then finished a.s.a.p and started my Carpentry one...Loved color matching but the fumes and dust gave me the bleep s..

Brother in law has business painting trucks so hear about paints etc etc on the side..

Cheers Mate

Although the ol Duco would hav been fun lol
FollowupID: 569000

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:26

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:26
My personal view, unless you know what you are doing, i would leave it be. it could look worse after you paint it. It will cost you Up to a grand for consumables and it all could be wasted.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 302853

Follow Up By: tukka - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 13:28

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 13:28
Why would it cost up to a grand? I already have the compressor and can get spray gun for under $100. Have all the sand paper and wax and grease remover. All i need is paint, primer and thinners. Dont need the best of the best paint just needs good preperation and a nice even coat. Its only going to be taken out bush and scratched anyway.
FollowupID: 569021

Follow Up By: autosparky - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 22:51

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 22:51
if you are a novice, runs in the paint around corners and straight panels are acceptable, then go ahead . a marathon may occur
FollowupID: 569115

Follow Up By: tukka - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 00:06

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 00:06
Not exactly a novice mate, done a few hours with a panel beater/ spray painter few years ago, so i know what surface is good enough to paint on and how to get the surface up to scratch. Seen them mix the paints and lay on all different coats. As long as you have a nice smooth, clean surface, follow paint directions and have the spray gun and air flow adjusted right all you need to do then is take it nice and easy. Couple of light coats wont run mate unless you dont follow the directions or you have done something wrong along the way, eg(cold surface, wrong primer/filler etc). Its not really rocket science, i have painted a Tojo with a spray can before mate and the finish was fantastic just not as hard wearing as wanted, but it wasnt my car it was a mates and he was happy. Nothing in life like giving it a go fella's, thats what being an Aussie is all about, getting in and getting the job done, not sitting at home crying ''i cant do that, thats impossible''.
FollowupID: 569131

Reply By: Old Dave - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:28

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:28
Hi tukka

For the chassis and under tray check out POR 15 have found it to great for rust preventive

regards Dave
AnswerID: 302854

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:32

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 11:32
Having stuffed up a car paint job many years ago, I can catagorically state that the advice on the three "P"s , is spot on.

AnswerID: 302855

Reply By: 4wdr - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:12

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:12
Mate you'll find the paint code on the compliance plate,probably 045 and if you use motorspray/hi-chem you'll get a real nice finish that lasts forever
AnswerID: 303137

Sponsored Links