Slightly O/T - Variation in Supermarket Prices.....

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2008 at 16:58
ThreadID: 57425 Views:2277 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

We're getting ready for a weekend 'swag trip' (no camper trailers) with friends so we decided to swoop on a few specials as seen in the local dogalogs this week.

We headed over to the big smoke, population 15,000, and three supermarkets. Went into IGA and part of the shopping consisted of mini chocky bars - $3.49.

Later in the day SWMBO went to the other neighbouring town, population 4,000 with one supermarket (IGA). Now both IGA's are the 'Supa' variety. Price for the same mini chocky bars - $3.99.

This irked SWMBO enough that she checked other items already purchased - some items varied by up to a $1 (25%) between the two stores. The stores are the same type - the difference being one has competition and the other no competition. The distance between the two is about 22km!

Maybe they're relying on fuel prices to keep everyone at a dearer store!

Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 17:07

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 17:07
Noticed the same here.
local Woolworths 8k from the middle of Brisbane, but 3k from any other supermarket is higher on quite a few things than the woolies up at my sisters place on the north coast. That shopping centre has a wollies & a coles in the one centre.
Asked my local woolies manager about it. Said it is up to me. If I want to drive 3 to 5k to a cheaper place, it is up to me to spend the fuel.

Meanwhile he gets a few extra points with the state management for a good profit.
AnswerID: 302912

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 17:11

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 17:11
The situation with Coles and Woollies is already well documented. Stores are divided up into any one of 10 or more price groups. It's been that way for a verrrrry long time.

IGA is like a co-op. Stores are privately owned whether singly or in groups. They have some standard prices ( like specials in Woollies and Coles ) but the rest of their lines are priced as per the Store owners wishes.

AnswerID: 302914

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 17:30

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 17:30
Hi All

My cook buys from Campbells Bulk Stores they supply small Super
Markets on the Gold Coast, you only have to present an ABN Number,
you can buy a couple of things or a truck load, they beat all the big
Super Markets.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 302915

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 18:28

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 18:28
Gidday Tim, until recently the missus worked for a major supermarket and has had some pretty amazing stories to tell of their little tricks and ploys, some of which people would be aware.

Things like:
Working on percentages, ie if its on special, gets put through the till at full price, apparently only 10% of shoppers pick it up, therefore 90% dont.

An item heavily discounted, but the shelf is empty even at 8.30 am, 60% of shoppers will then purchase another brand at full price.

Items that men would normaly purchase are targeted because reasearch has shown that males are less likely to argue about over pricing and very rarely return an item even if its their right.

Generic products 80% of which are sourced from China, you have to look very hard to find the 'Made in China' which is either printed in a very obscure place or hidden behind the fold in the packaging. Found this out the other day with a jar of peanut butter, couldnt taste any peanuts, just brown slop.
[a Chinese made drill is one thing and lead based paints on toys another, so only God knows what they do with foodstuffs before we get it].

Sorry if Im digressing from your original comments but Ive just done a quick run down on an upcoming weekend away for me and the missus. Our chosen campsite about 140 kms from home.

Petrol...............................................................$180
Tucker ............................................................$ 75
9kg gas bottle...................................................$ 31
Carton of fags...................................................$ 70
Our favourite liquids...........................................$ 120

Not far off $500 for 2 days. The same trip 3 years ago $290.

I really feel for those who take longer or extended trips away.

Cheers mate.......my friday rave.

Lionel.
AnswerID: 302928

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 20:55

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 20:55
Tut tut, $190 worth of drugs...LOL...silverback
FollowupID: 569093

Follow Up By: Member - Happy Gutz (QLD) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:47

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:47
Must have drugs, luckily mine only cost me bout $15/litre. Even better, haven't smoked for about 10years.
FollowupID: 569144

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 12:50

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 12:50
Oh yes...
I remember the days when you could go and spend $120 on grog for your camping trip..............( without haveing to go to the bottlo 4 frigin times over 4 frigin days!!!!!!!!!)

LOL
FollowupID: 569176

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 13:30

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 13:30
Yerr mate, and most of that cost is the recent 70% increase in premixed drinks which 10% of the population abuse but the rest pay for.
Now the teenagers have figured out that for a few $s more they can buy the 700ml bottle of spirit and a 2ltr coke and get twice the bang for their buck.

The powers that be will eventualy figure that one out and nail the extra tax on all spirits, then wine, and finally beer. Then watch for the explosion of illicit drugs and backyard stills.

Why not drasticaly increase the penalties for underage drunkiness and enforce them thereby targeting the culprits rather than the happy camper.

Too obvious and not enough $s in it I suppose.

Cheers....Lionel.
FollowupID: 569184

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 12:19

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 12:19
I don't want to defend the supermarkets because they are mongrels but is it a fair comparison. One town has a population of 15000 and is presumably able to support three super markets. The smaller town would appear to have a smaller customer base and less turnover, this inevitably leads to higher prices in my experience.
AnswerID: 303033

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 13:02

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 13:02
Gday,
I just did a quick calculation, and I reckon it would it would take me about 20hrs and cost about $800 to shoot up to the next woolies to compare prices.

Think Ill just pay the price.

Cheers
AnswerID: 303040

Follow Up By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:14

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:14
Why don't you try for home delivery?????????

ho ho ho
FollowupID: 569253

Sponsored Links