Tray Liners - spray on or drop in?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 17:40
ThreadID: 5744 Views:11891 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
What's peoples' experience with Tray Liners for a Hilux Dual Cab SR5 Diesel? I have seen the spray on Rhino type, and the Aero drop in type, and can't decide on which way is better to go. If I have a couple of dogs in the back and some diesel cans, are there any things to look out for?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andy - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 19:45

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 19:45
Hi Paddy, I have a 99 sr5 dual cab and have one fitted. Bought from ARB and is ARB drop in brand I think. They protect everything really well including the tailgate. They even have little protectors on each of the screws. My screw protectors are coming loose after being knocked on stuff that goes in and out. The only problem that I have had was that the surface is really slippery and I mean REALLY SLIPPERY. It is like a hard plastic. I have remedied this by getting a non slip rubber insert for the floor that has a lot of grip. My dog and all of my toolboxes and jerry cans slid everywhere and got damaged without this mat. Make sure you get one for the dogs sake. They are good and they protect the tub well. Andy
AnswerID: 23882

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:20

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:20
Not sure of the brand but I saw a plastice liner in a Navara that was moulded so you could slide a board in across the tub in different positions to stop things sliding around.

Leroy
FollowupID: 16044

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 19:51

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 19:51
The plastic one you can remove if it looks crap and you want to sell the car,
downside is as other bloke said, slippery, and ya dogs arent going to like it.
AnswerID: 23883

Reply By: bluehealer - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 20:12

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 20:12
have just bought a tray liner for my sr5 twincab ,you should check the price difference between arb and tuff tonneau in molan street in ringwood its quite a lot maybe 200 dollars
AnswerID: 23885

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 20:20

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 20:20
Paddy,
I had a spray on one in the back of my Trusty Triton dual cab a few years back, it looked good and was very durable. The only problem was when I was getting the mulch out of the back on one occasion I scraped / damaged the coating, from there I got corrosion and if I hadn't repaired it I'm sure the metal would of corroded through after not to long a time, once it was marked as you can imagine everthing caught on this scrape, even when the damage had been repaired there was still a laminated finish and it never looked as good as it did orginally, in hindsight a liner in my opinion would of been the better option. I did consider removing the coating at one point but that was as far as I got, considering it, one of those jobs from hell. You can always remove the liner but the coating will look very rough when you come to sell the ute if the coating has a hard life. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 23886

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 23:49

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 23:49
Spoke to a guy selling that spray on stuff at a car show once...

Getting rid of it if you ever decide you don't want it anymore is hardly even worth considering...we're talking about grinding it all off!

If it gets raty and looks bad after a while pretty much the only reasonable option is to get another fresh application put straight over the top of it.

Cheers,

Luke.
FollowupID: 16136

Reply By: bluehealer - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:01

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:01
my dogs would not be put in to ride on the ute liner ,there is only one place and thats on the back seat ,as family
AnswerID: 23889

Follow Up By: Paddy - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:43

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:43
Yeah thanks Bluehealer; you sound just like my wife. Only I'm tired of cleaning the dog hair out, cleaning the dribble off the windows and with Golden Retreivers the little darlings are always in the water.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 16049

Reply By: jonny knowalittlebit - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:27

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:27
what you also have to watch is some plastic ones also cover your tiedown points and can trap moisture undernieth it.
another option is a paint called fleck deck i think a mate has got it not real durable but has got rubber bits in it for grip and it looks good and only cost $50/litre and he only used 1 ltr in his HZ ute. recommend you use gravity fed 2mm gun and dont forget to prime it. just another option.
AnswerID: 23948

Reply By: bluehealer - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:52
to paddy we bought we bought colour coded sheep skin covers for the seats can be easily washed in the machine ,or cheaper still ,put mum in the back ,dog in front and only 1 seat cover happy travels
AnswerID: 24044

Sponsored Links