PDA with inbuilt GPS

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 16:14
ThreadID: 57455 Views:3113 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Man am I lost with the info on pda's and gps.

I'm after a pda for notes/memos, storage (music, photos) that can play mp3, etc and with an inbuilt gps and voice. Starting to look at the HP iPAQ 300 and Asus A696. So, normal pda functionality with a decent gps for on and off road.

So far have no idea. Can they be used for on and off road? How to you put in maps or are all basic on and off road maps in the software?

Not sure of any pros and cons as never used before.

Any suggestions or things to look out for?

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Austravel - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 16:51

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 16:51
Just worked out the HP 300 doesn't have PDA functionality.
AnswerID: 303069

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:26

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:26
Hi I have an ASUS A 639 pda with built in gps.
With Destinator loaded on it for turn by turn directions.
And ozi explorer ce for off road mapping with hema maps.
all works very well on and off road.
Ozi explorer ce is very easy to load and get running they have just released a new version.
The one draw back with pda's they are not made for extreme outdoor use dust water etc.
Search this forum key word Asus or pda there is a heap of info on here.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303078

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:33

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:33
I run an Asus 639N which has been superseded by the A696. I use GPSGate which allows me to run both CoPilot street directory and [url=http://www.oziexplorer.com/]Oziexplorer[/url . Find it very easy to use. Had it for 2 years now with no problems at all. Oh and the GPS in the ASus if much much much better than the one in my Garmin - never lose satellites now!
AnswerID: 303079

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:39

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:39
Oziexplorer
FollowupID: 569234

Reply By: Blaze - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:29

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:29
Cant beat the HP IPAQ

I use a RX 5765.. This comes with inbuilt GPS, TomTom and I then run Oziexplorer as well.

So it is the best of both worlds

You can also get th RX 5965,this unit is also wireless...

Hope this helps..
AnswerID: 303160

Reply By: Blaze - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:52

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:52
Cant beat the HP IPAQ

I use a RX 5765.. This comes with inbuilt GPS, TomTom and I then run Oziexplorer as well.

So it is the best of both worlds

You can also get th RX 5965,this unit is also wireless...

Hope this helps..
AnswerID: 303162

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:29

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:29
G'day,
I use a HP Ipaq HX4700 PDA with a Blue Tooth GPS set up.
Software wise I run OziExplorer CE and Tom Tom. This model PDA is superseded but the whole set up works very well. It is important to have a good mount for the PDA otherwise the constant shaking of the PDA can get quite annoying. After earlier disappointments with the bendable shaft type mounts (Mine was a Haicom with in built speaker) I finally bought a RAM mount to hold the PDA. I now use an FM transmitter to transmit the voice from the PDA to my car radio.

My preference is to keep the PDA and the GPS as separate entities rather than have them combined. This gives me some flexibility as to where I position the GPS in the vehicle, although if you have an mmcx socket on you PDA/GPS you can attach a GPS Antenna which serves the same purpose.

As an Example of current PDA's, I notice that you can buy a HP IPAQ 212 PDA for $599 from Harris Technologies which has a good size screen and two memory card slots -an SD slot and a CF Slot which means you have greater flexibility with how you store your data and run your Navigation systems. Obviously t you can shop around for a better prices on ebay etc. A Bluetooth GPS will cost about $130 ( from GPSOZ online store)

I don't presume to have the ideal or best set-up. It is just what I have and I'm sure others have differing views and set-ups that work as well or better.

Toolman
AnswerID: 303190

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:24

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:24
Hi Toolman,

The 4700 is awesome primarily because of it's screen.

I bought it for that and the dual CF/SD slots as you describe, but these days with the sizes of cards that are available I don't think this is as important.

A 4gig SD card will hold all your maps for Ozi, run TomTom and still have room for 40 cds ripped to MP3.

$400 will buy you a lot of PDA these days.

Just my thoughts.

Dave
FollowupID: 569361

Follow Up By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:11

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:11
Dave,
I know what you mean. My reasons for buying the HX4700 were the same.

I mentioned the Ipaq 212 because the screen size and configuration is close to that of the HX4700. I know there are other PDA's out there which would be just as good and a new buyer should research before buying.

I have been running the NATMAP Raster Premium but find it better to load the data in zones(ie loading the zones I will need for any impending trip) rather than trying to load the whole of Australia because of the drop off in performance in Ozi when using moving map with the whole of the Raster Premium.

Toolman
FollowupID: 569494

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 18:19

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 18:19
I have been using HP2210 with a HOLUX CF GPS card plus maps on a SD card. It was all OK until I bought a new computer with Vista. I have managed to patch up a sync arrangement thanks to someone on the forum, but the PDA is six years old and I am looking for a replacement. I do like mucking about with OziExplorer too.

At this stage I am keen on the HP 312 travel companion. It has inbuilt GPS, Turn by Turn Street Nav (HPsupplied mapping) and I believe it would run Ozi CE OK. There is no normal PDA functionality except for Contacts. But it gets a good review.

My old Garmin GPS 2+ is still going well but definitely pales against the modern Garmin range.

I would be interested in other opinions on current gear. I have been thinking about putting up a post on the necessity or otherwise for this sort of gear. After all when we go to really remote locations it is always in convoy and someone has the latest gear. A good paper map and an alert navigator still works. Steet Navigation is a bit of a gimmick. I reckon I would use it whenever I need to look at a street directory, which isn't often in my hometown.

Kingo
AnswerID: 303275

Reply By: Austravel - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 18:49

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 18:49
Thanks a lot for all the replies.

I'm starting to get my head around it.

I think I need (correct me if I'm wrong):

PDA with inbuilt GPS- what's the best up to around $5-600??
Street navigation software- Desstinator or Tom Tom etc.
Oziexplorer CE
Maps from Hema, etc.
All the accessories like charger etc.

Is this right?
AnswerID: 303282

Sponsored Links