Google Earth - Cache memory. How does this work ?

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 16:57
ThreadID: 57457 Views:5428 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy ,

I will be doing some exploration around the headwaters of the Oakover River in June . I have looked over the area on Google Earth and marked a lot of waypoints that I want to visit . This on my laptop ,which I am taking with me as it has OziExplorer on it .

I have heard that it is possible to store parts of the memory of Google Earth regarding these maps , on the cache memory . Can anybody explain to me ,what cache memory is and how I go about doing this .

Thanks a lot ,

Willie .

(Remember when explaining , I am a computer idiot )
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:18

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:18
Hi Mike,

Not sure about cache memory but I think I know what you want.

Check out Mick O's post 57270 from May 4, Greg has given some great advice.

Basically, try downloading GMapMaker from HERE and you can create Oziexplorer maps and map files from selected areas of Google Earth.

Regards
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303076

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:34

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:34
Hi Alan ,

Thanks for that info . Maybe I will go that way if I have too , but as I mentioned , I am a computer idiot and would rather do it more simply if possible .

I want info on the cache memory and how it works and what it does .

Willie .
FollowupID: 569232

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:44

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:44
In my opinion i cannot understand why in the world someone would recommend using cache to store information to...From what i understand you cannot save it to cache like a hard drive...Cache/Ram is a place that temporary stores information before it hits the chip set to do the calculations...L2/cache for example.

Its best to save as suggested maybe GMapMaker then you can save/burn to cd/dvd for backup

just my looksee on the subject

Cheers Will
FollowupID: 569235

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:46

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 17:46
More reading for you

howstuffworks
FollowupID: 569236

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 18:58

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 18:58
Willie,

Are you possibly meaning the "Disk Cache" which is limited to 2GB in Google Earth. This is where recent viewing is stored on your hard-drive etc and is able to be retrieved whilst offline (and makes it much quicker when online).

Tools > Options... Click on the "Cache" tab, and set Disk Cache Size to 2000.

Andrew
AnswerID: 303087

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:06

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:06
Thanks Andrew , that is what I am talking about .

So it stores the most recent things you have looked at . But how do I access it . I have looked at Google Earth and do not see anywhere that points me in this direction .

I have set the cache to the max 2000 previously , but as I said , cannot access it .

Willie .
FollowupID: 569251

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:35

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:35
I don't believe you can "access" it to look at the images as it is stored as 1 file called "dbCache.dat" in C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth (in my case).

The file is only accessible via Google Earth as far as i know.

Two options which i use:

- Stitchmaps automagically joins Google Earth sections, calibrates for OziExplorer, and more interestingly.....accesses Google Earth to do this, which means that those images should be stored in the disk cache area as well. Select the large area that you want "cached", and it should be stored for offline access. It is a little harder to use due to it's German background, however it is handy for Ozi.

-delete the cache before travelling (via the same section mentioned before), then zoom in to an acceptable level, and use the mouse to automatically fly around to capture the area of interest.

Hope that helps

Andrew
FollowupID: 569254

Follow Up By: GlenJ - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:21

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:21
AS pointed out above the cache is for google earth to access when offline, I think it stores its file in a propretry formt which you can not view with any other program.

But to answer your question how do you access it?
WIth google earth of coarse.

Try viewing some area, then disconnect from the internet and then fire up google earth again and you will be able to view all the same palces you have visited providing the cache size is big enough to hold the maps.

To enure you will be able to use google earth with no internet also turn your laptop off, them back on with out any internet and try viewing these areas again, just to make sure your cache has not been cleared after a reboot (which is the case with some other programs).
FollowupID: 569433

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 16:16

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 16:16
Willie,

I downloaded gmapmaker as per my previous post 57270. It works well and easily (I'm somewhat IT challenged myself). The only problem I've had is that it locks me out of the google server for an hour after about three map downloads. This was all explained in the post. Go on, give it a go. The maps load into Ozi well and the resolution is very good. The smaller the map area (ie; 2km eye alt) the quicker they load.

Cheers.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303244

Sponsored Links