hzj80r

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:28
ThreadID: 57473 Views:5450 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello people,

I'm in the market for the above mentioned vehicle and researching the market place shows that the vast magority of these vehicles have clocked up between two and three hundred thousand kilometers. My concerns are about the longevity of the major components such as motor and gearbox, running gear and so on.

Is there any one out there who would kindly give me some advice as to how their vehicles are running at similar kilometers?

And is there anything on these vehicles that I should watch out for in particular?

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:04

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:04
Hi Goldsahara,

If you can buy a vehicle with full service history (FSH) it would be a good starting point.
The GXL and Sahara variants have a few creature comforts over the Standard, which has manual locking front hubs, vinyl seating and floor mats, keyed door locks, wind me down windows and barn doors.
Points to watch for,
Constant 4WD models can have excess wear and backlash problems in the driveline and that can also be a cause of excess wear on tyres. Standard models suffer from rust around the (fixed) rear side windows. There can be cracking of the front chassis near the steering box. A badly maintained cooling system, early radiators have plastic tanks, can lead to overheating and result in a cracked head. Early Turbo Diesels (TD) had a problem with a bad batch of bearings, you need to know if these have been replaced. The naturally aspirated 1HZ is considered to be a slug, though reliable when maintained properly. Watch out for CHEAP vehicles that have been run into the ground in mine operations. Check the under body for, corrosion of gearbox/transfer case and rusted chassis rails…….. as a starting point.
Case 1. Number one son bought a neat 96 standard with 180 000 kms on the odometer.
Had to replace the clutch and first gear gear-set within one month of purchase. Otherwise there have been no problems with the vehicle. Purchase price was just over 25K two years ago.
Case 2. 91 standard with 219 000 kms. We busted the rear diff on the first trip out, driving along a flat road, two teeth off the pinion gear. Paid a lot less than Number one son did and we are happy with the vehicle as it is a quantum leap forward from the 60 we had.
Both vehicles were bought with the following criteria in mind………….
Manual, Diesel, Standard, White.
We look forward to our travels in our 80 and hope you do well with your future purchase.

Cheers,
Wayne.

PS. Further info on the 80 series can be found on a number of websites,
http://www.lcool.org/index.html
http://www.offroad80s.com/index.php
http://forum.australia4wd.com/
AnswerID: 303158

Follow Up By: Goldsahara - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:37

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:37
Thanks for that Wayne,

I have owned a 1984 HJ47 troopy and that was really a slug only on the highway and going up some big hills but a great vehicle. I have also owned a 1988 HJ61rg Sahara which I wrote off and no I didn't roll it!

I thought, looking at the performance specs of the 1hz, that it would be a reasonable performer, slotting in the middle of the above mentioned engines.

I really love the 60 series and would buy one of those but they are getting too old now and finding a really good one might take some time. However, the HZJ80r in standard form like you mentioned would be much better than the 60 series in a number of ways I imagine. And there are heaps to choose from.

I've promised myself that I won't buy unless a proven service schedule can be presented and the vehicle has the right kind of ownership if you know what I mean.

So that is what I really am looking for.

Regards,

Jim.
FollowupID: 569319

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:32

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:32
No problems Jim,
Yes, the 80 has a higher output than the 60 and we're happy with it on the road. Others want a vehicle that goes like a rocket and go for the turbo charged engine or transplant a V8 diesel. We prefer to keep it on the simple side, and our vehicle works for us. There was a brief thought of getting a later model 60, but as you mentioned - they are getting old now - and a good vehicle is hard to find.
Keep looking through this forum trader section, the for sale areas on the previously mentioned forums, E-bay, the Quokka or Trading Post, or your local paper and you will find what you are looking for.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 569331

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:50

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:50
bought mine at 204,000 had a hard life ex exploration
needed a new rad and fan re gelled and alot of brake com ponents relaced, master cylinder, all pads rear rotors etc and rear proportioning valve (sure sighns of alot of MUD)
only prob since has been aircon in 45,000. Gearbox is notchy at has got no worse
AnswerID: 303161

Follow Up By: Goldsahara - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:06

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:06
Thanks Davoe.

Regards,

Jim.
FollowupID: 569329

Reply By: Cruiserman1961 (QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 07:18

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 07:18
Hi mate,
just sold mine, a 80 series standard with over 500000 km's. I bought it with 295000 klicks and had only to replace the radiator and some wheel bearings. I am a stickler for good oil, filters and maintenance though. The cruiser is still going strong, uses no oil and was the most reliable vehicle i ever had the pleasure to own. It still has the same motor and running gear and the only thing i have found wrong were some cracks in the radiator support bracket. The price you pay for corrugations i suppose.
The 80 is in my books one of the best cruisers ever.
Cheers, Udo
AnswerID: 303172

Follow Up By: Goldsahara - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:51

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:51
Thanks Udo,

I have to find an owner that has the same principles on servicing and maintaining their vehicles as you.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 569324

Reply By: happytravelers - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 07:56

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 07:56
I love my standard 80 series, owned it for ten years now, still only done 124000km, only really gets used for trips. Mine was one of the very last built, two weeks before production finished in late 97. I know this isn't answering your question but there must be some other low mileage examples like mine out there, so if you can find one it'll be a good vehicle.
Jon
AnswerID: 303178

Follow Up By: Goldsahara - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:48

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:48
Hey Jon, Do you want to sell it? Only joking.

That is what I am intending on doing with mine when I find it.

I will only take it out on weekends and longer trips. It won't be used as a commuter.

In fact there are a few with under 200,000 on them but they are generally more expensive.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 569323

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 12:55

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 12:55
Let me start with this statement....if it is serviced to the book....you will get many more kms from it, a good friends 1991 std cruiser has 380 on std motor/clutch/with a rear diff rebuild at 300 due to oil seal leak and a service on the fuel pump somewhere in there due to leaking diesel.
Early models had problems with chassis crcking at the steering box, my mates was one of them....weld and gusset and all has been good for years....all the 80's have a issue with rust where the inner guard bolts to the floor where feet sit...check there for rus, pull and leave out the rubber plug/fishoil it....if you can afford a 93 or better, they have bigger brakes, and started coming out as dx's, which had tachos and cloth seats 95 and better are the best of the best with all problems taken care of
Andrew
AnswerID: 303222

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:10

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:10
There was somebody on here the other day whom had 1 650 000 km on their 1HZ, original motor.
AnswerID: 303487

Sponsored Links