240Volt/12volt charging system camper trailer

Anybody got any ideas or recommendations for a charging system to fit onto a camper trailer.

Unfortuinately i lost my three stage charger on the return trip from warra,my white bucket that had all my shower stuff and charger in it fell out of the boat but thast another story.

Anyway what i want to do is fit a 240 inlet to the camper which incorporates the charging system for the deep cycle battery and also have some internal 240v outlets inside the camper area.

Anybody with ideas or systems that could help me out that would be great.

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GerryP - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 23:57

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 23:57
Hi Matt,

My camper has a 240 volt inlet, which is connected directly to a battery charger, which in turn feeds the battery. The battery and the charger are mounted in the front box on the drawbar. The battery also charges from the car through an anderson plug. I don't have any 240 volt outlets inside the camper, but there is an outlet adjacent to the inlet - they are just looped at the back, inside the box. Both the inlet and outlet are the same as you would find on a caravan. Pretty simple setup and if I want power inside the tent, then it's basically a short extension lead inside.
A word of caution though, it is illegal to do it yourself if you don't have an electrical licence - remember that a simple mistake can be fatal.
Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 303153

Follow Up By: yowie - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 08:29

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 08:29
Be very careful with this set-up as you are relying on the Caravan Parks ( usually very dodgey ) 15amp circuit protection with no earth leakage. You should always have your own Double Pole Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker between you inlet and any supplies ( GPO's ).
Regards
Phil
FollowupID: 569313

Follow Up By: Member - Matthew C - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:14

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:14
Guys

Thanks for your ideas, i WILL not be doing any of it myself but just wondered if anybody knew of a box etc that comes complete with the all weather inlet that i could bolt on or is it all make up as required.

I will fit an RCD in the curcuit definately.

Matt

FollowupID: 569428

Follow Up By: GerryP - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:13

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:13
Matt, if you have a large storage box mounted on your drawbar, you can use the type they use on caravans and mount it on the side of the box with the wiring inside it. The rear of the socket is covered so no chance of exposed connections. I'm sure an electrical wholesaler could supply a small mounting box to take an RCD (safety switch) which could also be mounted inside the storage box close to the back of the sockets. Just need to make sure you protect the electrical stuff from other gear you're carrying with a divider or similar.

I agree with Yowie, an RCD would be a good move. Alternatively, you can get portable ones which you simply plug into the lead - they're also a good idea for when you use power tools in the shed at home.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 569438

Sponsored Links