Eco Kettle/thermette

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 12:42
ThreadID: 57487 Views:6950 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
i'm trying to locate a supplier for the eco kettle or thermette but so far have not had any luck tracking one down. Aust Geographic used to stock them but have now discontinued them.
Anyone know where I might get one from thats handy to the Gold Coast?

Cheers Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 13:43

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 13:43
Hi Dave,
Just googled and came up with
Opposite Lock, don't have a price listing.
or Hillbilly camping gear.$99.

Cheers,
Wayne.
PS They also come up for sale from time to time on E-bay
AnswerID: 303232

Reply By: Member - John & Sally W (NSW) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 13:48

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 13:48
Hi Dave, Have used one of these for about 10 years. It's now a bit battered and black, but still works well. When there are no twigs you can use a tray of metho and boils 1 litre quick as wink. A bit exy to buy initially though.
http://www.bushkettle.com.au/
Cheers John and Sally.
AnswerID: 303233

Reply By: mattie - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:00

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:00
Dave
We have a stainless steel kettle very similar to the bush kettle, except the lid removes which enables it to be filled easily and if you happen to get a frog or mouse etc. in it you lift the lid off and tip it out and rinse but the bush kettle you fill and empty through the same spout the other thing i like about the Australian geographic version is that it is has straight sides no spout to get damaged and the handles fold back flat around the side so it packs well holds nearly 2litres(when new and the the flue was not all sooted up it would boil the nearly 2l in just over 5mins from strike off match) very simple and works the same as the bush kettle, although the bush kettle looks quite smart and also comes in a box, you used to be able to buy a 2 cup version as well but not sure if you can buy them any more.

Mattie
AnswerID: 303319

Reply By: Bros 1 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:48

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:48
itsdave,
Got a stainless one (eco billy) from Aust Geographic years ago. The only thermette i have seen was an enamel one bought in NZ.
I use a repo tin full of rag and kero for a burner. Clean out the flue with a branch. (ouch)
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 303338

Follow Up By: itsdave - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:04

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:04
I rang Aust Geographic but was told that its a deleted item. Will give Oppisite lock a call tomorrow and see if they still sell them

Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 569451

Reply By: mattie - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 21:14

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 21:14
Dave
they were made in the river land near Berri, the chap that made them sold the bbq and the camper trailer part of the business and he kept the kettles etc i think the campers were called eddies campers or something like that, we had a fold out bbq made by this same bloke(the chap that bought the camper part of the business) they are great bbqs i have searched and can not find anything about the campers i have mentioned. I can not remember if our kettle is called an eco kettle or not as we have had it for a long time we have bought 2 others for presents, they came in a cardboard box with green writing by memory i will find out if our friends still have theirs in the box!!!

Mattie
AnswerID: 303824

Follow Up By: itsdave - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 15:12

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 15:12
Hi Mattie

Yes your right they do come in a white box with green printing on it.
I've tried Opposite lock but none have them in stock but can get one in but unfortunatly I don't have time to wait so still looking

Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 570025

Reply By: emem - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:28

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 00:28
Hi Dave,

I found this thread while looking for a thread about mice in vans!

The one that comes in the white box is good.Just have to remember to grab a handful of leaves and twigs to leave under the van overnight, or the first boil-up can be a bit frustrating.

In NZ the road works people all used to have them, but they came with a stand - a collar with holes for draught, and inward-facing flanges to sit the thermette on. This way, the fire, or embers, are left intact when you pour some water. Rather useful in this dry country! I use a short tin, but the collar is better.

I found mine in Kilcoy at the Auto Spares and Camping shop.

Now, back to the mice!

Cheers
emem
AnswerID: 304621

Sponsored Links