Sunday History Photo.....LATE

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2008 at 03:52
ThreadID: 57520 Views:3131 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Had visitors over the weekend so wasn't on the PC much.

This is the old bridge usually submerged in the Millbrook Reservoir , near Chain of Ponds SA. This photo would have been taken in 1955 . The bridge used to have Cobb & Co coaches cross it.Image Could Not Be Found

The construction of the Millbrook Reservoir spanned the years of the First World War from 1914 to 1918. Millbrook was built to control flows in the upper reaches of the River Torrens and provide a reservoir in the Mount Lofty Ranges with sufficient elevation for gravity to supply the eastern suburbs of Adelaide.
The reservoir is named after the small town of Millbrook which was situated above the site of the dam wall. Despite stories claiming many of the old buildings of Millbrook still exist beneath the waters, the abandoned buildings in the storage area such as Miss Adey's Private School and the Millbrook Hotel were all demolished and cleared away before filling.
However, the old bridge over the Torrens was left intact. During a severe drought in 1955 when the level of the reservoir dropped to a record low, the old bridge became visible for the first time in nearly 40 years.
In the 1970s the nearby small town of Chain of Ponds was also demolished to safeguard against any pollution of the water in the Reservoir.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:44

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:44
'Frosty's' Ford had some grunt !!

AnswerID: 303394

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:54

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:54
GGGrrrr have to let the Ford drivers win now and then or they'll sulk.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 569504

Sponsored Links