P.T.O 8000LBS Winch enquiry

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 21:58
ThreadID: 57614 Views:5166 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Everyone,

I would like to know about Thomas pto winches. Especially if it is adequate to pull my 60 series Landcruiser out of trouble if necessary. I believe it is 8000lb winch which translates to 3600kg. Does it mean i can pull 3600kg truck with it? Does it deliver this pulling power all the time or is this the maximum possible. From what i understand an electric winch rated at say 10000lb will never in real situation actually provide that pulling strength. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 22:30

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 22:30
The ironic thing is an 8000lb pto winch would outpull a 10,000lb electric by 30%+ pulling a fully loaded 60 series without a problem. Where a pto has the ability to pull maximum load in all gears (at different speeds) an electric is unlikely to ever pull up to it's rating as the batteries simply can't supply the required power.
The kg rating of a winch has nothing to do with the weight of the vehicle in fact as there is no common standard or test, 2 different brands of the same size can pull a different amount at different speeds making comparisons almost impossible.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 303846

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 07:08

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 07:08
Pound for pound, the PTO will out pull a electric winch, and do it all day without stopping.

The PTO is not as user friendly as the electric, so great care must be taken if you are on your own. The only safety factor is a shear pin that will break if the winch is over loaded. Make sure you carry spares.

Don't be like me and use a drill bit as a shear pin, to pull out a fully loaded 45 tray back bogged to the axles. It streached the chassis by 1/2 an inch. At least I could fit another 6 roo's on the back.
AnswerID: 303872

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 08:54

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 08:54
Agree with what has been said pto units are great but you need to be cautious when using them.

Along time ago I had one on a lwb Landrover. It was used mainly as a working winch = pulling up bore pumps, standing up fallen fences etc. The ability to power at different speeds using the gearbox really makes the difference here.

If you get one take the time to get used to it. Do not retrieve your vehicle using the winch and having the wheels driving at the same time. Keep the transfer case in neutral otherwise you will have a real tangle and damaged cable in no time. It can be done but wait until you have experience first.

As has been said do not substitute the shear pin - it is there for a reason and you will regret it if you do. I know to my cost.

alastair
AnswerID: 303880

Sponsored Links