dual batteries

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 23:21
ThreadID: 57617 Views:2350 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
is.it.a.good idea to get dual battey system fitted, will be running engel and caravan off prado. caravan has own battery, or can i get away with the one in the car ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 00:32

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 00:32
Is it a good idea? It is the only idea. ABSOLUTELY!

You can get away with short trips if you remember to unplug the fridge and the caravan as soon as you stop. Even stopping for fuel and lunch with a caravan and Engle running off one battery can see you looking for jumper leads.
AnswerID: 303865

Follow Up By: karlt - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 20:15

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 20:15
cheers guys for the feed back you have helped alot .got car booked in to get batteries done next week cheers again.... karl
FollowupID: 570073

Reply By: howie - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 02:01

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 02:01
it is a very good idea, nevertheless you can get away without one if the budget is temporarily tight.
would put it high on the list of things to install.
it does depend on the type of travelling and the time of year, as to how long the batt will last.
best=moving every day, cold nights (engel off/low)
worst=3/4days stationary with hot nights (engel very busy)
or somewhere in between.
had single batt for many years but now sleep much better knowing there is a fully charged batt waiting for me in the morning.
AnswerID: 303867

Reply By: Ray - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 08:20

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 08:20
The first question is does your caravan battery get charged when your engine is running?
I have a single battery in my car as I do not have room for a second battery under the bonnet.
In the caravan I have two 75amphr batteries, running an Engel and a Dometic three way fridge and various lights.
The vehicle is wired up so as to charge the caravan batteries while the car engine is running and the vehicle is moving.
When the vehicle is not moving and the engine is stopped the caravan electrics are isolated from the car but in addition to this the Dometic fridge is also isolated from the caravan batteries and the only draw on the caravan batteries is the Engel fridge and some lights. All the navigation lights (stop, tail & flashers) are operated direct from the car and are independent from the caravan batteries.
I also have a smart charger connected that enables to the caravan batteries off the mains or a generator.
When parked up and I have no mains power the Dometic fridge is run off gas.
One of the advantages of my system is that I can uncouple the caravan from the car and still have power from the caravan batteries.
I hope that this will help in your decision.
AnswerID: 303875

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 09:13

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 09:13
Yes I reckon it is a good idea to have a second battery , when travelling, and have mine in back of Prado ( A Fullriver 120amp AGM)

Others put theirs under bonnet .

See various fittings on this thread

Mine is on Page 3 of 24/8/07.

Also have a battery in van which is charged by Prado alternator, and runs fridge, while travelling . A stop fridge unit switches off connection to battery when van is not moving and avoids chance of flattening battery.

Pedro
AnswerID: 303885

Follow Up By: Redeye - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 17:50

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 17:50
Peter,

A very good idea to fit the AGM inside the vehicle as it will be a lot cooler that under the bonnet. Ensure the voltage at the terminals do not get above 13.8V and you will have a long life from the battery.

Redeye
FollowupID: 570056

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 09:23

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 09:23
Karl,
How (precisely) do you charge the Caravan battery when not using 240v ??

What type of "battery" is it you are referring to in the car ??

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 303889

Sponsored Links