Non Members

Submitted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:32
ThreadID: 57709 Views:3014 Replies:15 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone

I was just reading through Jimbo's post about the changing face of this forum....post 57860....Anyway i noticed a few comments about non members being made to feel unwelcome , or 2nd class as one person mentioned...(and no im not singleing you out)Now i know that sometimes i have said a few things that may have bleep people off, But what really gets up your goat and maks you feel this way??? if some of my comments have contributed then feel free to tell me ...i mean i think im pretty tuff skinned and i can handle it...lol.....but seriously im curious as to why people feel that way....I personally have been put in my place by a few on here before and the way i see it is just cop it on the chin and move on, or as my 5 yr old grandaughter tells me" BUILD A BRIDGE POPPA"....lol.....so come on all you non members out there that feel this way let us members have it...

Cheers......Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:50

Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 23:50
Hey Borgy

I just went and read that thread, I'm not sure that I saw it as a members vs non-members thing.. I think that most of the 'criticism' was centered towards the sometime offhand way that some here deal with basic questions.

As Mainey said, telling a newbie to 'do a search' rather than offering up even a small pearl of wisdom, or heaven forbid, saying nothing at all. Is really a bit ordinary.

That same newbie, around a campfire, would probably be offered some advice, but many get defensive and want to build a wall around the forum, and prevent it being made 'boring' by people asking the 'same questions'.

I'm not having a go at anyone here, I certainly don't post as much as I once did (I've been around a lot longer than this username has, I'll see your five years and raise you some), can't really say why that is, but that's my problem and decision and I'm happy to live with that.
AnswerID: 304415

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:09

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:09
Hey P7

Dont get me wrong mate , i never actually meant it to sound as though its a member vs non-members thing...like i said a couple did mention about not being made to feel welcome , or words to that affect.....if you think im trying to turn this into a member vs non member thing then i'll ask David to remove it, because that was never my intention

Cheers....Dave
FollowupID: 570490

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:19

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:19
If anyone thinks this post is inappropriate let me know and I will ask David to remove it

Cheers.....Dave
FollowupID: 570492

Follow Up By: Visitor - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:27

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:27
It is inappropriate
FollowupID: 570494

Follow Up By: Visitor - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:29

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:29
Because your last line of your first post is asking for non members and members to have a free for all..
Not very condusive to a good forum...
FollowupID: 570495

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:35

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:35
No problems Visitor , if thats the way you feel i will ask David to remove the post ....but i ask one question of you is this a case of sour grapes over a previous post??
FollowupID: 570496

Follow Up By: P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 01:12

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 01:12
I have no problem with it!

and I'm a Dave too. ;-)
FollowupID: 570499

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 01:19

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 01:19
G'day Dave....seems strange saying that ...lol

Im glad you dont have a prob with it mate , i think Visitor is a little peed off with me over a post from yesterday where i told him i thought he was full of sh1t, mind you i dont think i was the only one that thought that way....But anyway i have dropped a note to Dave and will see what he thinks.
I think my biggest problem is i speak my mind and perhaps i dont choose the right words to say , but hey , thats just me...either take me or leave me , like i said im tuff skinned so i dont really let it bother me....

Cheers.....Dave
FollowupID: 570500

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:15

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:15
Borgy,

I agree with P7 about newbies; if you had never been to a forum before and stumbled across this site whilst looking for info on the web then posted a question and got told 'do a search' etc, it wouldn't inspire you to visit again. Although maybe in the real world it is the same; if someone is asking for directions most people will be happy to help but there is always the few who will say 'buy a map you idiot'.

I don't have a problem with regulars who choose not to be members. I have seen threads deteriorate into members saying ' put up or shut up' to non members. As far as I know, the EO site owners don't deem it necessary to be a member to use the forum and I think those members should get a grip on reality; this site is not their private little club.

regards

Brian
FollowupID: 570507

Follow Up By: Visitor - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:46

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:46
Borgy Said
"If anyone thinks this post is inappropriate let me know and I will ask David to remove it".

And I said yes....

No it was'nt sour grapes....

It was just what i thought....

I dont even want it removed....

FollowupID: 570513

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:50

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:50
Dave,

Too many thin skinned muppets methinks :)))

AnswerID: 304418

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:53

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 00:53
G'day Gramps

I agree mate..lol...

Cheers.....Dave
FollowupID: 570497

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:22

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:22
Dave, you ain't got nothing to apologise for mate...don't change a thing...as they say, "Don't fix what ain't broke." :-))
Your posts are among those that I do take the time to read.

Cheers mate.
Fred.
FollowupID: 570508

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:31

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:31
Hi All

I become a Member last year, from what I can see, there is a lot
of knowledge to be gained in reading the different threads, some
are important to the person who asks the questions, and also you
can pick up good ideas,for things you did-nt even think of before you
read the thread, its also like traveling in the outback with out leaving
your house, I take great joy in looking at the members profiles, and
photos they provide, also Willems adventures and Dougs photos,
Kev & Darkies advice and humour, Footies input, ect ect ect,
gees guys I feel some people come across as though they have been
hear the longest, and us new commers have to serve an apprentiship,
to earn the right to contribute.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 304431

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:33

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 08:33
speling error should be I became a Member, (sorry purists)
FollowupID: 570510

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:24

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:24
Daza and Others
I became a member in 2004 and have enjoyed the information available including the Friday Funnies. My only problem is that the forum costs me lots of money as I read about new things for camping etc and then I get caught at the camping/caravaning store LOL. I am a 4wd instructor, a keen camper and a caravaner who has been round the block 3 times and through every desert but still find places to see and things to do on this forum. So to all of you keep the info and fun up after all life is no rehearsal.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 570517

Reply By: Member - Kiwi B - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:52

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:52
Dave,

I think it's all a matter of "perception"
I'm sure there are times when it wouldn't matter what is typed or how a post is worded, if the reader has a bleak outlook they will find a sad interpretation.

I guess this is some of what keeps Forums going???
AnswerID: 304445

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:52

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:52
We are only up to thread # 57716 as I type, so that explains why I cant find thread # 57860 as indicated above.

Guess I will have to use the search facility to find the relevant tread.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 304446

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:54

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 09:54
Its OK, I found it.

Its thread # 57680

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 570522

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:13

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:13
G'day Cruiser

So did the search facility work??...lol...

Cheers......Dave

FollowupID: 570524

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:22

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:22
Dave,

In a word, yes as always.

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 570525

Reply By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:16

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:16
So far apart from visitor , not one reply from a non member

Cheers......Dave
AnswerID: 304449

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:36

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:36
G'day Borgy, I wouldnt read too much into that, perhaps they sleep in more than members :)). I joined after lurking for a year
because I found the site so rewarding that I felt guilty of harvesting all the good info for nothing. While I havent purchased much through EO I am more than happy to contribute through
membership. One gets to feel certain affinity with others even
though we havent met yet. Although I must admit to enjoying the hospitality of King Willem & Judy. It concerns me sometimes
that personal abuse creeps in, & I try to treat others as I expect
to be treated. I think the member/nonmember thing is a bit of
a myth really & a personal choice....here endeth the sermon....
..cheers...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 570528

Reply By: al - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:17

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:17
i really don't give a rats what people comment on. if non members were not welcome here the ozi explore team would not allow access.
i bet more non members buy a lot more stuff from there store than members there is more of us. and that what keeps this site going.
have a nice day
al
AnswerID: 304450

Reply By: deserter - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:23

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 10:23
I am always amused by the way people can get so emotive over other faceless people behind a keyboard. For heaven's sake - evryone is entitled to an opinion. You might disagree - but why on earth get upset over it. Its a computer!!! I laugh sometimes at the abuse that goes on on the various forums. People need to get out camping a bit more to chill out.

I find the member thing interesting. I would be interested in its origins. Presumably to offset costs initially? Certainly not a problem now with the advertising revenue the site currently would pull in. I have been an active non-member for many many years. I visit the site numerous times per day to keep up with discussions. From the owners perspective, the number of hits per day is extremely important when looking for advertisers. And the non-members visits are probably equally, if not more important than the members due to those numbers.

Its a great site. I have asked for advice on numerous occasions and always got good feedback. Wouldn't know whether that was from members or non-members and I don't care. The site contains a wealth of information. Lots of it put there by non-members.

I have never considered becoming a member - everything I need is there as a non-member. And I must say - I very rarely perceive any member/non-member angst unless a member brings it up. To those who feel membership is a valuable part of the site - good on you. But some seem to carry it like a status symbol. The site is a public site - and for my requirements there is no point in being a member. I expect that is the case most other non-members.

AnswerID: 304451

Follow Up By: spudseamus - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:07

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:07
im a non member --i dont make many posts-- havent had a 4x4 for many many years-- but i just love reading about 4x4 treks and all the stuff!!! I think the 5 year old has the right idea lol
FollowupID: 570532

Follow Up By: Bearded Fish - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:21

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:21
I'm with spud
FollowupID: 570536

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:09

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:09
I've been on here for over 5 years now off and on and I don't feel the need to pay for membership of any forum I frequent.(I'd be broke quick time if I had to) I have seen numerous posts from members telling other non-members to join up with the inference their posts weren't as "valid" as the member posts are.
To me it's "water off a ducks back" if members feel they want/need/should be members then that's their choice. My choice is not be a paying member and there's many more like me who will never pay to join a forum.
As Deserter said, it's a public forum and if the only way you can post or participate is to make it only available to members my bet is the site will die in fairly short order. That's happened to many forums in the past which have tried to go the "user pays" route. My view is as a non-member is if I can't post then I won't look and most people who won't pay for membership of a forum would probably be of similar opinion I think.
Regard Andrew.

FollowupID: 570540

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:18

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 11:18
I agree that we shouldn't give people who ask a question without doing a search a hard time. I also don't think it's necessary for people to preamble their question by saying sorry if the question has been asked before. Many new people may not know about the search function, also this forum attracts countless new readers and users each week, each has a new story, experience or view, so why not let people have their questions? You get a different answer every time and often by different people and often non-regulars.

After all you were all once an 'ignorant' newby or heaven forbid a non-member or visitor.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 304458

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:47

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:47
I think it's more, the way it is said than anything. I've given a short and hopefully helpful reply to people asking questions that've been done and done before - and then pointed out that they can find much more if they use the search facility
FollowupID: 570543

Reply By: Dunaruna - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:22

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:22
I am a long time boater, 4x4er, camper and traveler. I am also a motor mechanic and have worked in the caravan/CT industry for many years. I found this site while searching for answers to a specific question.

I believe that I may (on occasion) have something to contribute but I tend to just sit on the sidelines because I get the impression that the seats around the campfire are reserved for members only.

This site does have a bit of a 'club' feel about it. Not a criticism, just an observation.
AnswerID: 304464

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:59

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 12:59
same here - I think most of us have been camping for decades and I don't know how long I've been a visitor here for, but it feels like at least 5 years. Don't regard myself as a "regular", more like "occasional". I know what you mean about the club feel. There are some that use the site as a social club and I don't even think there's too much wrong with that. It's just one or two, occasionally, like to think they are of higher ranking, either because of membership or merely more frequent visits. There are one or two trolls as well but by and large most seem like great blokes with a wealth of knowledge that they are happy to share and that's what makes this a great site. Hope you can contribute more in the future mate - sounds like you've got plenty worth listening to
FollowupID: 570547

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 15:28

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 15:28
Now that thats all done I'd just like to know why you felt the need to start a war in the first place Dave ..................
bloody good cast though..............
LOL and while your there get a life mate..............
your freindly neighbourhood NON member,
Dave (also)
AnswerID: 304487

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 16:45

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 16:45
"Now that thats all done I'd just like to know why you felt the need to start a war in the first place Dave .................."

How do you come to the conclusion that this was about starting a war???

Whats with the get a life mate??

If anyone thinks this was about starting a war , then i seriously think you need to read my post again, all it was ever meant to be was a post asking non members what makes them think they are being treated as 2nd class or unwelcome....i never thought for one moment people would become upset with this post and i did infact send a message to David asking him to remove the post if he felt it was inappropriate..

As for the members, non - members crap i have never treated anyone as 2nd rate because they are a non member, to me it makes no difference , i dont think i am any better than anyone else nor should anyone think theyre any better than me....

FollowupID: 570566

Follow Up By: Dave Thomson - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:35

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:35
Then I say AGAIN mate WHY go there ??? if thats how you really feel why do feel the need to ask such a negative question ???
sorry mate I just dont get the point of going there at all !!! Honest theres MORE to life.............
FollowupID: 570788

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 23:20

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 23:20
You say why do i feel the need to ask such a negative question...Does that mean that everyone that has replied are negative as well?? If so why bother replying ?? why did you reply??...Perhaps you need to justify the fact that you yourself indeed live a very boring life??.....Believe me , my life is by no means boring , i live a very full life and a very happy one , not that i need to let you know!!

As for why did I ask.....its simple , even you should be able to understand this.....BECAUSE I CAN!!....If it was so wrong to ask this question, why hasn't David removed it?? I even sent him a message asking him to remove it if he thought it was inappropriate.

So if that is the best that you can come up with , might i suggest you just piss off and worry about your own boring life and not mine!!

Member or not you would have recieved the same response from me.

And that is the end!! I wont be commenting any further because everything that has to be said has been said.... END OF STORY!!
FollowupID: 570837

Follow Up By: Dave Thomson - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:25

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 22:25
Ah now I get it , youv'e got the last word so all I've got to do is p##s off and go back to my boring life , yes I think every body gets it now...............
so sorry for questioning yoursincere thread and no I'm not holding a grudge in spite of all the rudenesss,
regards,
Dave
FollowupID: 570989

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:17

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:17
Oh yes such a rude post !!!

Quickly ...HIT THE ALERT MODERATOR BUTTON....

Can you see anywhere else in this post that someone has told me i started a war???....

FollowupID: 571000

Follow Up By: Dave Thomson - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 18:13

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 18:13
Just tell mke one thing , are we still friends or not ? if yes then a kiss and cuddle is only if youv'e shaved,
regards,
Dave
FollowupID: 571123

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:42

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 20:42
Dave

PMSL mate..

As far as im concerned mate what happens on here stays on here, dont know about the kiss and cuddle though...lol...and no i havent shaved for years....Hopefully we'll get to share a beer one day and have a good laugh about this...

Cheers ......Borgy
FollowupID: 571157

Follow Up By: Dave Thomson - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 21:24

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 21:24
Onya mate look forward to it
Davo (xxx)
FollowupID: 571165

Reply By: udm - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 18:05

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 18:05
i myself have been discriminated for not being a paying member, but you know what, i just dont care, because i find everything elsewhere and for FREE :-)
AnswerID: 304519

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 20:26

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 20:26
Dave when picking a few lines out of another thread to make a new post one needs to be mindful that what is being said isn't taken out of context or overstated. Posing the question "what really gets up your goat and makes you feel this way???" & "let us members have it" is fairly provocative as the replies in the other post (57680) were simply giving possible reasons for the high turn over of different people posting.
You yourself said above "i have said a few things that may have bleep people off" (many have) which is exactly what I was referring to. Sure they could "build a bridge" but I suppose many 1st timers when challenged are just as likely not to return or at least feel hesitant to post or reply again.
Each time the member issue is raised for what ever reason the old guilt treatment sticks it's head up with "need to support this site financially" or "getting the good info for nothing". Membership is obviously optional so why this handful of people keep dredging it up I don't know.
Possibly if those bagging responses they don't agree with or telling newbies to search simply didn't post maybe a few more may stay here longer than they currently do?
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 304568

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 21:06

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 21:06
Craig

If you think i was having a personal dig at you mate , your wrong, wasn't having a go at anyone , just merely asking a question....one thing for sure though , what you say is definetly true, things do get taken out of context,,,perhaps one shouldnt bother posting at all , that way you keep everyone happy, members and non - members

Cheers......Dave
FollowupID: 570639

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 21:10

Sunday, May 18, 2008 at 21:10
oh and as for the "let us members have it" perhaps i could have chosen my words better , but fact is i didnt , and now theres bugger all i can do about it , so as they say sh1t happens

FollowupID: 570641

Reply By: OzTroopy - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 02:28

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 02:28
Post from Borgy:

I was just reading through Jimbo's post about the changing face of this forum....post 57860....Anyway i noticed a few comments about non members being made to feel unwelcome , or 2nd class as one person mentioned................

I'm only a visitor and havent felt unwelcome. I understand there is probably a bit of the old boy network on the forum but thats a fact of life in any group - online or not. Anybody who doesn't know that, doesn't get out enough and needs to get a life, in my view.

Now i know that sometimes i have said a few things that may have bleep people off, But what really gets up your goat and maks you feel this way??? if some of my comments have contributed then feel free to tell me ...i mean i think im pretty tuff skinned and i can handle it...lol.....but seriously im curious as to why people feel that way.................

Probably unknowingly, people take offence to what is written because there is no inflection to the words. Its just words and they are read, depending on the readers state of mind. Saw an absolute S*#^ fight on another forum which ended up with the one going off, admitting he had not been in the best state of mind at the time of posting and apologising. Now, all forgiven and plenty of banter happening again.

I personally have been put in my place by a few on here before and the way i see it is just cop it on the chin and move on, or as my 5 yr old grandaughter tells me" BUILD A BRIDGE POPPA"....lol...........................

Like all of us - you probably deserve it occasionally...LOLOL

so come on all you non members out there that feel this way let us members have it...............................

Why should this start a war ??.......you're just asking for "our " thoughts.

The only difficulty I have on this forum is the lack of emoticons to punctuate the words........guess I need to be a member to do that.......hehehehe

What does irk me ( as it does on other sites ) is the self righteousnous of some individuals - longterm members or new - who place their opinions well above anybody else. Its fine to have a point of view ( and I have plenty I am sure I am dead right about.. lol ) but it doesn't always relate to everybody elses situation. e,g, diesel vs petrol, gas lanterns vs candles etc. Things like this IMO, should be informative rather than instructive, unless the asker desires instruction.

My pet hate on any forum............wading through dozens of the same questions because people are too lazy to search a topic or too lazy to find a similiar thread and ask their question on it. Also, damn computers that don't search the way my mind works.

Perhaps, what might be useful on this forum too, is a monthly thread which can be used for drivel and banter. Have seen it work well elsewhere.

Pheewww............rant over.......I think.

AnswerID: 304631

Follow Up By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 07:17

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 07:17
OzTroopy

I agree with the 'no inflection in the words'. Some folk tend to (I think) communicate as if we can see their face and mannerisms. If being sarcastic or funny etc they don't show it by using things like this - ;-) or lol etc. Lo and behold the banter turns to a slanging match.

Either these folk don't get that 'the way' they write their words matters, or they don't care if people misunderstand. If they don't care if they are misunderstood, what's the point in trying to communicate with others? I mean, you know it would be pointless talking to someone who didn't understand the language you were using, unless you just like the sound of your own voice....

regards

Brian
FollowupID: 570692

Reply By: deserter - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:05

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:05
To be honest - I never look to see if its a member or non-member who has posted. Whats posted is what I want to see.
AnswerID: 304708

Sponsored Links