Hilux towing

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:55
ThreadID: 5775 Views:5252 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering using a 1997 Hilux cab Chassis 2.8 Diesel to tow a Jayco Eagle or Coromal Magnum 340 outback models. Does anyone use a hilux to tow this size camper trailer and how does it perform? Would the hilux comfortably tow the trailers to say Cape York.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shane - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 15:39

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 15:39
I have a 2.8L hilux, and in the vehicles standard form, it wouldn't pull a sailor off your sister, so to speak. I wouldn't advise you to buy a hilux if you are planning on towing a van, as they are considerably under powered. Mine has an after market turbo system fitted and under extreme loads, such as towing the engine gets very hot, which causes an inherent problem in hilux's of cracking the cylinder heads. If you buy a hilux and fit a turbo, they do perform better as a reasonably capable 4 X 4, however towing isn' their favorite task. Get yourself something like a 6 cylinder diesel, and haul some ar%#!!!!. I am saving for my new Nissan turbo diesel right now!

Cheers mate.
AnswerID: 24041

Follow Up By: howesy - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 18:03

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 18:03
Sorry to hear about your turbo problems Shane but I also have a 2.8 with a DTS turbo on it and once I got the pump done for the turbo by a professional Mine runs like a dream don't get hot (touch wood at the moment) And has great torque. I pull up Mt Victoria pass overtaking other diesels with a fully laiden tray four people and a 7x5 trailer with a motorbike and a heap of other camping gear, although I haven't tried to pull a sailor off yet. I have to ask maybe you should be looking at the condition of your engine or as to whether it was set up right in the first place because 99% of the turbo guys out there simply increse the fuel delivery and this will eventually cause you problems.
FollowupID: 16230

Follow Up By: Shane - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 18:35

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 18:35
Gday Howesy,
Yes I agree with you on the setting up correctly, after we had emailed each other I am going down the same road as you have for a more problem free experience.
My engine only has 140 kms on it, so it is still low for a diesel.
My Hilux is fine, however I wouldnt recommend one for someone towing due to the time and effort in setting up, for not a lot of increase in power.
FollowupID: 16232

Follow Up By: howesy - Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 21:39

Friday, Jul 04, 2003 at 21:39
Fair enough big boy. Quite right it is a huge muck around if you have to set the thing up yourself. Whoever buys mine when I trade won't realise what went into it. All their headaches will have been sorted. When I did mine I did it because in their std form as you know they are a slug. Because I had to work with what you got I did the sucker up, it was cheaper than trading in. After the experience though i would say I will buy one that someone else has done all the ironing out of bugs on or if i had my pick at the moment it would probably be Navara dual cab turbo diesel. I drove the new hilux and the Navara and its much of a muchness. Two good vehicles but i really like the 3000kg braked tow capacity of the navara compared to 1800kg on the Hilux. Not that i would use all that capacity but i guess its a little of that mines bigger than yours type syndrome and if its there its there even if you never use it.
FollowupID: 16307

Follow Up By: Bob - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:22

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:22
Thanks for the input it looks as though the Hilux is out it could have been an expensive lesson. I'll have to go looking for that endangered species the friendly bank Manager.
regards Bob
FollowupID: 16324

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:12

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:12
gdaybob.
friend of ours has 3ltr hilux goes great untill you whack a load on it.
if you do intend on towing a bit i would be looking at something a little biggerlooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 24086

Reply By: mrdesmo - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:36

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:36
Hi Bob,
It would tow it, but I hope you got plenty of time. I used my '95 2.8D twin cab Hilux to tow an offroad trailer (400kgs) to Adelaide each Christmas and it was sloooow going, lucky to get over 100km/h, 90 with a headwind and the air con turned off (middle of summer!). Very underpowered. I now own an 80 series 4.2 turbo Cruiser, and can't wait for Chrissy this year....oh what a feeling!!
Cheers
AnswerID: 24090

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:38

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:38
Oh yeah, I forgot to menton....the fuel economy sucked, my mates GQ Patrol 4.2 diesel comparitively used less, more power etc etc
FollowupID: 16194

Reply By: Robert Calley - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 16:16

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 16:16
I had a 2.8 Hilux and tried towing my new Kanga offroad camper. We went on one short trip came home and sold the Hilux bought a new Mitsy Triton 2.8L turbo after trying the neighbours. Next door neighbour has always had fleet of Tritons and has not any problems. They flog them hard for work and play so that was good enough for me. He bought a new turbo Triton when they came out. I took it for a run and the thing drives like a petrol with heaps of grunt. Hooked up my Kanga camper and looked in the mirror twice to make sure it was still on the back. I pick up the Triton tomorrow afternoon. Triton with the works on road few bucks under $29k
AnswerID: 24111

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:15

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:15
My brother in law had a 2.8 Hilux- He said it was great for towing "an empty box trailer- any thing else- forget it!"
His words, not mine...
AnswerID: 24250

Sponsored Links