Big Red claims another victim

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 07:49
ThreadID: 57754 Views:4019 Replies:5 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
The Flying Doctor came and took away another victim of Big Red on Saturday - came off his motorbike and gave his helmet a big crack - please be careful out there, it may just be sand but when you land on it, there's pain.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:05

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:05
Sage advice Ruth!

BTW, are you back in Birdsville?... I thought you had moved away from there?

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)
AnswerID: 304645

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:33

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:33
Hi Brian - yes we had our sabbatical (not far from you) - half built our house and couldn't wait to get back here. We've always had a house here and the one on the east is our 'beach' house.LOL
Also we felt that when you sell a business you should get away and let the new people get on with it particularly in a small place where everyone minds your business whether you like it or not!
Absolutely great to be home again - the red sand is in my veins (my house, my window frames and my carpet) - hope you enjoyed our dust over the last two days - it blew in from the NT I think.
FollowupID: 570699

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:59

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:59
Hi Ruth,
We are heading out to Birdsville in June for our first taste of the area...... looking forward to it!!!!

A question for you.... is it feasible to plan a one day return trip to Poeppel Corner from Birdsville? I have asked friends who have visited the area and have had mixed reactions from them, some saying it is and others saying it isn't. Looking at the map and the distance involved I realize that it would be a big days drive, but I imagine it would be well worth the effort.

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)
FollowupID: 570702

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:54

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:54
Brian, why would you drive out all day all that way and turn around and come home again. Here's a better plan - if you are not wanting to cross the SD. Drive down the Bdv Track, over the Warburton, up th K1 - make camp in a nice patch of gidgee before Poepples (can be very windy at the corner) - have a lovely camp and fire, next morning into the corner and play golf in all the states, photos etc. then back into Birdsville via the QAA - over Eyre Creek (dry) and over Big Red and into the Pub. Or, go the other way. Or have two nights out there.
FollowupID: 570709

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 10:41

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 10:41
Hey Brian
My wife and I did Birdsville / Poeppel's Corner / Birdsville in mid April
solo vehicle.
We left around 7:30am and got back 8:00pm.
We were told not to do it, it can't be done, it takes two days to enjoy it etc. etc.
We thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Did not need to travel at unsafe speeds. We didn't sit around drinking coffee every half hour though.
It is a fair day's drive, and we had easterly winds all day which made the return trip a bit tricky with the fresh blown sand hanging over the dune tops.
Our day trip included digging ourselves out from the top of a couple of dunes which wasted nearly 90 minutes.
By all means, plan for a one day trip, but be prepared for an overnight stop just in case, and check in with the Ranger to tell him what you plan to do.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 570714

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:10

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:10
Hi Ruth
Where's your secret camping spot near Poeppel's Cnr (coming from the West) ??
Or is that a secret??

FollowupID: 570719

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:42

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:42
Signman, the camp spot I refer to above is actually south of the corner. There are some nice spots to the west though - I especially like round flat claypans without prickles and with gidyea firewood in between sandhills. In one of our camp spots we hadn't visited for two years we picked up our frypan we left on a branch to dry - frypan was dry (!) although upside down on the sand as the branch had broken.
You coming west to east? Pity I could have given you a mud map.
FollowupID: 570743

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 07:16

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 07:16
Ruth,
That idea sounds great! A mate here on the Coast had suggested it a while ago, and we had looked at it on maps etc, but there's nothing like local knowledge in these things!! We're thinking of the two night option, take the trek nice and slowly to get a good look around, one more question (that I probably already know the answer to but I'm going to ask anyway......) is that route OK for towing a camper trailer..... thinking of the Poeppel's Corner via Warburton Track option so we would head back east to Birdsville from Poeppel's Corner. (Our trailer is an off road Cavalier and is pretty tough, but I have heard it's not recommended to tow out there..... ) Of course, if it's not a good idea to tow, we'll leave the trailer in the C/P and head out with the tents.

Many thanks for your help Ruth,

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)

FollowupID: 570850

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:31

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:31
Brian, see reply to Bucky below.
FollowupID: 570945

Reply By: Member -Signman - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:22

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:22
"Another victim"?? How many has Big Red claimed ??

AnswerID: 304662

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:49

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:49
Plenty - both human and vehicular. Doesn't need to be if you drive it safely and surely but for some reason, it brings out the 'gung-ho' in a lot of people, as do the rest of the sandhills.
Personally I value my life and my vehicle too much - and yes, accidents do happen, but in a lot of cases can be avoided.
FollowupID: 570707

Follow Up By: peterll - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 10:52

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 10:52
Always have wondered why folks want to go over..perfectly good track around. :)

Hope the RFDS is better funded in SA than it is in WA

Peterll
FollowupID: 570718

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:43

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 13:43
Peter, Peter - I will remind you that Birdsville is in Queensland, not South Australia. You must be confused - comes from being an International traveller, ha ha.
FollowupID: 570746

Follow Up By: peterll - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:30

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:30
dear princess :)

duh me..ok ok so QLD..same as SA..sort of.. LOL same sand different place.

That reminds me..I need to come up and steal some dirt and visit young Dusty for a couple of those loooooong fingerbun thiniges. Ah the Bakery.

Peterll
FollowupID: 570780

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 14:08

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 14:08
Bikes and Birdsville....hmmm...not always a great combo.
AnswerID: 304701

Reply By: mechpete - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:08

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:08
we did it in 2000 ,didn,t get going till about 9.30am had a couple of minor mechanical stops .got to poepells cnr 6.30pm had a quick tea and headed back crossed big red at middnight ,got to camp 1.30am very tired , but have to say driving out there at night is absolutely briliant .stay well apart from other vehicles , had the driving lights on and it was one of the best experiences , clear stary night .
mechpete .
AnswerID: 304730

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 09:13

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 09:13
Ruth

How do educate people ?

Doing it safely, or stupidly !

I choose ( luckily ) SAFETY

When I decided to buy a 4B, and head out into the deserts............
I meet this bloke that showed me some video of him backing up the dune before Big Red,, winding up his 60 series Cruiser across the flat towards Big Red,,
He must have been doing well over 120kmph as a run up..
The video showed how his fully loaded Cruiser became airborn, at the first hump, by at least 600mm, and hit the sand at all funny angles, bouncing and digging in, only to " LUCKILY ", grind to a halt 10-15 mts from the top.. Failure !

To top it off,, he had another crack at it , only to achieve more speed..

Failed both times !

Imagine me sitting at the botton of Big Red some 5 - 6 years later, pooping my pants, with this video still entrenched in my tiny mind,,

WOW ! ,, ,I thought how am I gunna get up Big Red, from a standing start, no 1 km run up ???

Fortunately we had bumped into Roachie and the " Crew " from the Yorke Peninsular 4X4 club,, listened to their instructions....and slipped up Big Red, ( on the second attempt ) with ease..

Low tyre pressures,and just a bit of momentum.

Have done it in the wet,, and the very dry in both trips to Birdsville, and loved it,,

Have not ever caught up with that bloke again,, if I do I will tell him how to do it ..Safely

Cheers

Bucky

AnswerID: 304814

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 11:24

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 11:24
Interesting read Bucky..... what range/gear were you in as a matter if curiosity?? I agree about the safety issues....

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 570880

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 19:29
Bucky how nice to hear from you - and what a great report. Imagine running into Roachie, what a laugh/tragedy/experience!
Your report is one of the BEST I've read in a long time. Thank goodness you listened to Roachie and not he bloke with the video - now you may understand my reference to 'gung ho'!
Brian, suggest you use H2 or H4 if you have to. Low range is for mud. You should be able to cross the dunes with no digging or bogging - always provided you have your tyre pressure low enough. I also suggest you take the tents and thoroughly enjoy the two nights - I can make some other suggestions for the two night trip. Why not email me. The weather is stunning at the moment.
FollowupID: 570943

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:08

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 20:08
Cheers Ruth,
I'll send an email right away!!

Many thanks for your help Ruth, we're SO looking forward to going out there!!!!

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)

FollowupID: 570951

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 03:38

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 03:38
Brian

We chose 2nd or 3rd in low range, on all the dunes, just waddling along fairly easy. but I must admit, when it's really dry out there, you do need a little more momentum.

Was using 1 & 2 in high range, but the "Navra" just couldn't do it at the right speed, too much bounce, or would die in the ass.
Pity I didn't find out about those engine management "chips" till later, I recon they would have made a difference.

Sorry I didn't answer your questions earlier,,,,Night Shift !,, first night off and I wake up 3:00 am,,, sort of a sleep in

Cheers
Bucky
FollowupID: 571376

Follow Up By: Brian - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:44

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:44
No worries Bucky, thanks for replying mate.

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)
FollowupID: 571497

Sponsored Links