Flojet Water pump - built in 'pulsation eliminator'

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:09
ThreadID: 57755 Views:6835 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Am buying a pump to put in the old caravan i am doing up. Only want pressure for a kitchen sink and a shower. Was going to buy both a pump and accumulator (to reduce the pump duty cycle and reduce surging) but then saw this 'new' flojet triplex pressure pump (see www.pumpwarehouse.com.au) which includes a "built-in pulsation eliminator to reduce frequent pressure surges". While probably not as effective as having a large accumulator i thought it might be worth a try at $184

Anyone tried one of these yet?

I also notice that you can get various models of the same pump with different max pressures for the pressure switch .. do most of you go for 25 or 50 psi for camper/caravan usage?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:02

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:02
Hi Drew.

Have found these pumps on ebay seem to be reasonable priced depending on bidding. I have been looking at the 17lt/min 40psi ones for my camper trailer.
water pump

Hopefully that was a link to item number 200223784627

Probably made in china , but you are not going to use it all day every day.

Glenn.
AnswerID: 304659

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:12

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:12
Hey Glenn that one on ebay looks a dead ringer for the "Flojet Sensor Variable Speed Drive (VSD)" pump which I have been told by www.pumpwarehouse.com.au would be ideal for my use. However they are selling the flojet for $478.50 which is beyond my price range. Have a look at it at Flojet VSD & tell me if you think it is the same. The ebay one doesn't mention the VSD feature which maintains a constant pressure
FollowupID: 570806

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 02:53

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 02:53
Cant believe how similar these are.

This is in the second line of features on the ebay pump "When taps are either opened or closed, it adjusts the flow rate and pressure, keeping these constant."

I can see why heaps of people are bidding on them ,have been trying for a while to get one for < $100 delivered , my own target, and keep getting outbid . I thought these were about $150 in shops .

I am going to get one of these for sure now so dont bid against me LOL

Glenn.
FollowupID: 570843

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:09

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:09
Hi Drew

We recently changed a pump in our caravan as the old one was sounding a bit sick at times (drawing lots of power trying to start) so thought it better to replace at home than when in some remote location, and take the old one for back up (we have two pumps - one for drinking water tank, and other for general water tanks). We replaced it with similar; Flojet 4405-143 M, which is the 'better' of two Flojet models. It includes a filter. I don't know anything about the pressures - it says flow rate of 12.5 litres per minute and is just a standard 12 volt caravan pump. The cheaper Flojet model says 12.1 litres per minute. The best deal we got for the 4405-143 M was from www.northcoach.com.au at $174, plus postage to WA $15. This small 'husband and wife' business were very good to deal with and their prices well below most for this pump, and i will look to them again for spares and parts.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 304680

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 12:28

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 12:28
Drew,

Years since we lived in a van with a shower, but from experience with spray tanks, and domestic pressure pumps, I'd reckon 25 psi would be adequate.

Rate of flow might be more important, don't know if this dependent on pressure too?

The higher pressure pumps might cause some discomfort whilst showering, if people are a bit sensitive around the chest area!! Also the higher pressures might be a bit high for the plumbing in the van too. Nothing like a leak in the van, just when you're short of water, or on the road.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 304691

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:34

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 23:34
The better domestic water saving showers deliver around 9 litres/minute so anything around that rate or larger should do (providing the cook does not decide to do the washing up while you are showering.)

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 571003

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:39

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:39
Hi Drew,
why don't you buy a Shurflo 12volt pressure pump which is available from Whitworths Marine [www.whitworths.com.au]. They are rated at 40 PSI & have an inbuilt pressure cut-off switch which shuts off the pump when you close the tap in use. No pulsation & a constant pressure flow which can be regulated by how much open your tap is. They are cheaper then the pump you are referring to & are practically bullet-proof. Cheers.
AnswerID: 304711

Sponsored Links