Where to connect prodigy brake wire on LC100TD

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 09:13
ThreadID: 57756 Views:8609 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me where the best location is to connect the Prodigy red wire pick up from the brake light wire on a 100 series landcruiser. I have read in a previous thread that the connection should be made down the line after all computers, cruise controls etc. Obviously I could pick up a brake light wire at the back, but maybe the wire is easily identifiable in one of the wiring looms closer to the front.

Thanks

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:08

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:08
John, as you also need to get the wire back to the trailer plug, why not take a two core there. I have mine into the trailer plug and back again going up into the cab through one of the two bungs under the rear passenger entries. It is very easy to get to the trailer plug wiring and put the other one there when you do it.
AnswerID: 304678

Follow Up By: jdbb - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:30

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:30
Thanks for that John. Unfortunately I've got the cart in front of the horse again and have already run the wire back to the plug and put the car back together again. I have storage drawers in the back and getting them out is a bit of a pain. Thats why I was hoping to be able to get a connection point a bit further foward.

regards
John
FollowupID: 570724

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:33

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 11:33
John, the trailer plug is outside, and with mine the lead to the front is outside too, as far as mid point for the rear doors. Use a convoluted conduit to shroud it from attacking stones and keep it on top of the chassis rails with cable ties. I can still keep the internal floor clear of drawers and the cable goes under the carpet to the front.
FollowupID: 570726

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 12:43

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 12:43
Splice into the GREEN wire with WHITE trace at the brake light switch by the brake pedal.

The brake light switch is awkward to get to, you can pick up the GREEN wire with WHITE trace at the (ECM) engine control module behind the glove box.

Non of the brake light circuit goes through the ECM however the ECM does receive a signal from the brake light switch.

If in doubt take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 570736

Follow Up By: TD100 - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:00

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:00
i have done it at the switch,an absolute pig to get at but it works,have had no issues with any of the mentioned items.i also have the prodigy.cheers Paul
FollowupID: 570802

Reply By: Dunaruna - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:38

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:38
Highly recommended to take the blue and red directly to the trailer base, twin core (figure 8) makes the job very easy and you will never have issues with cruise control/abs/stability control interfering with the brake controller signal.

On a 100 series it is very easy to take a twin core down to the rear inside the drivers side chassis.

In the not so distant future their will be a brake controller plug pre-wired under the dash of most vehicles.
AnswerID: 304752

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:31

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 22:31
If you have a wire coming from the brake pedal switch, which then runs to the back of the 4x4, then it doesn't matter which part of that wire you take a feed from..

Only time it may upset cruise control etc would be if you picked the wrong wire....... ie; a 12V feed off the switch that wasn't the brake wire..
FollowupID: 570829

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:52

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 17:52
A wire (blue- service brakes) already needs to go back to the base, it does not add any extra agro to run a twin and be done with it.

The output wire from the brake light switch does not run directly back to the base.

It is near impossible to get a good solder onto a wire join while crammed into the footwell upsidedown while trying to juggle a soldering iron. It is equally near impossible to insulate that join properly.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do a job. Often the wrong way will still work but that does not make it right, it makes it a job that will need redoing in the future.
FollowupID: 570929

Sponsored Links