Upcoming Holiday: but to WHERE???

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:18
ThreadID: 57773 Views:2581 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I would like to put together an itinerary for a trip from Tweed Heads to somewhere (one way-fly home, another couple fly out and bring rig home (couple already organised-just not where to fly home from)). I have a toyota Prado pulling a windsor Rapid 17' off road. We have 4 children ranging from 7 to 14 (2/2). We have 7 weeks off from mid June 08 and want to go one way and fly home. We have already done the Warrago highway to longreach and as far out as Winton and came home on the capricorn. We like getting remote but not too remote/dangerous 4wding. Have generator/extra freezer/180 litre water capacity. I have been a flying doctor out of cairns and wouldn't mind getting back up that way again but thought it might be a chance to see The Rock, the olgas etc as well as do some time in Kakadu and Darwin, flying home from either Kakadu or Central Australia. Can anyone suggest an itinerary with interesting places to stay and see? Many thanks, John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:54

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 15:54
Hi John,

Suggestion - North into Lawn Hill (beautiful) then across the Barkley & down into Alice (or across the Plenty via Boulia - preferred).
From Alice through the West MacDonnel Ranges then around the Mareenee Loop road through Kings Canyon etc & onto The Rock (then back up to Alice via the hwy if you need to).
Been to all the above & highly recommend them.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 304715

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:24

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:24
As Jason suggests, but with 7 weeks you could go north from the western end of the Barkly highway and go up to Kakadu, Darwin, Litchfield NP, then down to Alice and Uluru etc - fly out from Uluru. Bitumen for most of the way. A must see is one or both of the Territory wildlife parks - there is one in Alice and another on the way from Darwin to Litchfield. Allow a day to take each one in and dont miss the raptor feeding display. Night pay to book into van parks in both Darwin and Alice as soon as you can.

Have a great trip.

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 570771

Reply By: sweetcaroline - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 22:58

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 22:58
Many thanks for the advice. I think I will try the Plenty this time.
John
AnswerID: 305687

Sponsored Links