KROOMBIT TOPS

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 16:27
ThreadID: 57774 Views:5242 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, 1st time poster, long time reader.
does anyone know of the track from Ubobo over the top of Kroombit to Biloela. if so could you advise the suitiability of taking a trailer over this track thanks. ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Col_and_Jan - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:50

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:50
We drove from Cania Gorge to Kroombit via the National Trail, which would be covering some of the roads you want to travel. We werent towing, but I dont see a problem, except that the final climb into Kroombit National Park is a steep ascent. The dirt road is wide, with lots of small stones which may make your ascent a little more difficult if towing a heavy trailer.

We also went to see the wreck of the plane Betsy.Well worth the extra drive. On this road to see the wreck, there are some places that you need good clearance to get over the drains/ruts. We had a 100 series cruiser, so had no problem with clearance.

Col
AnswerID: 304724

Follow Up By: Col_and_Jan - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:57

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 17:57
[img]
[/img]

Col
FollowupID: 570783

Reply By: a convict - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:00

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:00
..I'm not sure if we're taking about same track, as there are a couple of variations, but last time I was through there (3 years ago), a couple of sections of the track, ..from up on the actuals 'Tops' proper, ..down into Biloela, were DEFINITELY 'Troupie or better, AND take it REAL easy.

Maybe try the local National Parks guys, or Forestry, they would know current facts.

AnswerID: 304727

Follow Up By: Col_and_Jan - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:15

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:15
Yes, Cant comment on the track from the Forestry Barracks down to Biloela via the Kroombit Dam. From Cania to the Forestry Barracks via the National Trail was OK except for the steep ascent.
[img]
[/img]
Col
FollowupID: 570786

Reply By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:09

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 18:09
Ron,

I use to go up there a fair bit camping when I lived in Gladstone but it's around 8 years since I've been there. I use to go in through Calliope and take the Tablelands Road and based myself in the forest near Kroombit Falls or at the old Forestry Barracks. I towed a normal 6x4 trailer without any problems.

I did exit via Ubobo a couple of times to do further camping in the Builyan Forest.

Unless the road conditions has significantly changed since then then you shouldn't have any problems. One thing you'll need to check on though, there was a locked gate along the track at the Kroombit end and you couldn't get to Biloela. But as I said it's been a while since I've been there.

Pay you to check at the Ubobo/Nagoorin stores or check with Dept of Forestry to ascertain whether that gate is still locked.
AnswerID: 304731

Reply By: RosscoH - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:18

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:18
We were there at Easter, if you are going west from Ubobo when you come to the Y junction where the left fork goes to Cania and the right fork goes up the mountain there is a "No Through Road" sign. We came down the mountain from the other end , there was no sign at the gate at the top of the mountain. You will definatly not pull a trailer up there as it was hairy in some places coming down in a GU Patrol with lift kit.
AnswerID: 304747

Reply By: lostinwauchope - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:10

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:10
thanks for the replies guys.
AnswerID: 304755

Reply By: youngharry52 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 10:48

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 10:48
was up there at easter also. from cania gorge via national trail to kroombit and the betsy then return via "the wall" and monal goldfields. took us about 9 hours or so all up, but took our time and enjoyed the drive. there were a few spots where we had to stop and pick the right track over some rocks etc and a couple of steep bits with bigish whoa-boys. we were in a standard mitsi challenger. had a great day.

regards

chris
AnswerID: 304824

Sponsored Links