Bike Steering stabilizer Test

Submitted: Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:15
ThreadID: 57780 Views:2431 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
About a 1/3rd of our 4wd type bush miles are now conducted on bikes as in practise they approximately double the trails we can explore.

But one thing that has slowed mine down is the difficulty of riding in the sand.
Its not that you can't ride in it but riding in it takes a huge amount of concentration and leaves little time to watch the GPS or take in the surroundings which is really our main reason
for exploring.

With a long distance sand ride coming up I decided to invest in a W.E.R. steering damper.

Its sort of like a little one way shock absorber that you weld to the bikes steering head and prevents the handlebars from moving rapidly off line when your front wheel crosses a wheel rut or digs into the sand.

We have recently completed a lot of tests in slippery muddy conditions now that the wet has set in in Victoria and I have to say that this item does appear to live up to the stability claims made apon it.

At one point on the weekend on a walking width trail the end of my bars hit a tree spinning me sideways , my shoulder hit the tree gazing off it (only 5kmh) but instead of the steering going to full lock the bikes stiffness keep me on line just enough to hold it to-gether and recover from a situation I would have expected to go down in.

We then did trials through several muddy bogholes type sections using 3 seperate bikes which included running with and without the damper.
Each rider agreed than the action of the steering damper improved the line of the bike through the mud.

This backed up with earlier results I have experienced using a borrowed bike in the sand has certainly convinced me of the value of this device, patricularly for those getting a little slower in there reactions (me).
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stu-k - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:57

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 20:57
Yep they are a good thing on dirt bikes and even more so on road bikes.
I like sand riding, its not that hard just stay on the gas and don`t fight the bike. Great fun
AnswerID: 304754

Follow Up By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:44

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:44
Stay loose, dont tense up, go with the flow.
FollowupID: 570822

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 07:57

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 07:57
I note that friends with other bikes have used scott type which put out a constant force.

This unit seems to be more preferred by enduro riders and only reacts for first 25 degrees away from centre and has no dampening going back towards centre.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 570855

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:48

Monday, May 19, 2008 at 21:48
What are you riding? Was it a DRZ? How are you finding it? Toying with idea of getting back into it myself. It's not so much the riding I miss, it's the tinkering!
AnswerID: 304764

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 07:54

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 07:54
Hi AJB

Yes this one's a new DRZ400 I mainly got it because its fully road legal , mind you I have done lots of mods to it.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 570854

Sponsored Links