Caster on new GU with 2inch lift

Submitted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 13:58
ThreadID: 57805 Views:2290 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Second post re the new car, I arranged through Nissan to have OME suspension fitted incl. a caster kit because after reading up on the caster issue I had one fitted with the OME 2 inch suspension stuff to my last GU and it drove very well.

I picked up the new car last night and the steering felt a little "towie" compared to my last car and I note the caster kit has not been fitted, the ARB warranty sheet shows Caster at 2 degrees after the suspension fitting. I Rang ARB and they said "it must not have been needed due to being within tolerances" but the rep did not know what the tolerances were.

So I am wondering:

* is a caster corrector not warranted in this case?
* what are Nissan tolerances for Caster
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: arrano - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 14:39

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 14:39
These are strange, I have fitted a 2" lift springs and shocks (actually lifted up 80mm, and has since settled to 65 mm lift over the originals) to my GU3 and did not need a castor kit. It drove no different.

I think for a 2" lift these are optional, its up to the idividual. Some after market places will do the upsell and try do these at the same time.

AnswerID: 304861

Reply By: ingo57 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:00

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 15:00
Gday Darren

I have a GU4 and had the OME 2" suspension fitted, I was also told I would not need them. After about 5,000kms I noticed Immature wear on the outer edges of the Tyres. I then fitted caster correction plates and a good wheel alignment and problem solved.

Im not sure what the Nissan tolerances are, I was also told it was within specs on its first wheel alignment, but the plates made all the difference on the second alignment to both steering and premature wear.

Cheers
AnswerID: 304866

Follow Up By: wheeler - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 07:53

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 07:53
Immature wear ey....not sure what that is, but anyway castor angle will not affect tyre wear. I would suggest that you have a camber issue, which is quite common on live axle vehicles. There are several ways to correct this icluding camber correction eccentric bearings or shims.
Whats a good wheel alignment????? On a Gu the only adjustment available is toe angle.
FollowupID: 571021

Follow Up By: ingo57 - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:23

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 11:23
G,day Wheeler

The correction plates I'm referring to are tapered and bolt to the top of the hub on either side of the diff and allow that extra couple of degrees needed over the standard ones, as I said no more wear...no eccentric bearings were needed.

What's a good alignment?????? A good result in what I have paid for! If all he can do is toe in then why has it been fitted with correction plates.

What's a bad alignment?????? A vehicle that has been aligned but still wears tyres and pulls to the left or right

If you have to ask that then what's a good diesel mechanic?????

Cheers
FollowupID: 571062

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:28

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 18:28
My ARB agent told me when I got a quote for a 2" OME lift (2003 GU) that he would check the castor AFTER the fitting and THEN decide if a correction kit was necessary...

Turns out it was needed and it's done. Tracks true and tyres wearing evenly.

To be honest I can't see how you could raise 50mm and NOT need one...
AnswerID: 304907

Reply By: wheeler - Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 08:00

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 at 08:00
Castor corrction plates or bushes should be fitted anytime where you have negative castor. This occurs when the axle is rotated due to the fitment of long travel springs in a live axle vehicle.
I doubt Nissan would have a specific tolerance for castor as it is depandant on the condition of springs and vehicle ride height etc. As long as you have "some"postive castor you will be Ok.
I would suggest that anytime a suspension kit that raisses the vehicle by anymore than 30-40 mm a castor kit of some description should be fitted.
I tend to prefer the eccentric castor bushes rather than plates as I don't think castor plares are legal on road vehicles (however this may depend on what state yoor in)
AnswerID: 305005

Reply By: DARREN - Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 16:32

Friday, Jun 13, 2008 at 16:32
Thought I'd post the results of my adventure for other's benefit.

First I was fobbed off by a couple of ARB reps who seemed to think I was imagining things.

Then I had 3 others (who also drive GU's) drive my car and agree it felt bodgy, I also found the light steering was exacerbated by towing my boat.

Finally Spoke to a very helpful lady at ARB head office who was empathetic and after she made some enquiries we agreed to fit the Caster kit. The difference is very significant, the car now feels sure footed and drives like a new car should.

I also found out the specs should be 3.5 degrees give or take 1.5 degrees. Amazingly mine without the caster kit was 2 degrees which was the same as my other patrol with the kit. The new kit has put this to 5 degrees.

AnswerID: 309704

Sponsored Links