New 4X4, maybe! Undecided.

Submitted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 13:02
ThreadID: 57883 Views:1954 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am starting to look at apdating the forby. I have had a 2000 auto 3.0 patrol for 5 years and appart from a few little gremlins it has done a good job.

I do like the TD 100 series but I can't get my head around that indipendant front end. After having a dual cab Navara I swore I would never have an IFS 4X4 agian. There is a GXV TD 100 series in a car yard with twin factory diff locks, this could be the answer!

So, I have been looking at another 3.0 patrol with the common rail injection but all that plastic and those 17 inch rims and tyres is putting me off.

Anyone out there with good or bad stories?

I'm not interested in stories about the old ZD30 problems, I have heard them all and I have no doubt all is fixed now.

I want an auto trans and a wagon, so it's just these few issues that have me stumped.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muzzgit [WA] - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 13:11

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 13:11
MMMM. not sure what happenned here. I tried to do a spell check and it went up anyway!

OOPS

SEE NEXT THREAD
AnswerID: 305272

Reply By: westozal - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 13:49

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 13:49
Hi Muzz,
More or less went throught the same thought process as you a couple of months ago.
Sold my 1996 80 series 4.5 auto to a mate and then spent the next month wondering what the hell I had done as nothing I could afford to replace it really appealed to me. I had not got past what he offered for the 80.
Anyway to cut a long story short and after lots of test drives brought a 2004 st 3.0ltr man Patrol. I was not to keen on one given some of the stories however value for money it was too good to pass up.
I dont like IFS front ends either, and you pay a high premium for the cruiser to boot.
Just as a comparo my mate brought a 2004 td 100 about a month befor I got mine.
2004 TD 100 Auto 84kms paid 56k
2004 TD Patrol ST man 83km paid 31k (last of older shape).
As you can see lots of change left over for me, not as much power but i'll still get where he does.
Only had it a short while but so far i'm quite happy generally,runs 285/75 16 Cooper AT tyres.
Got 10km per ltr just quiet running around town on ave so far.
I supppose what im saying to you is that there is not much to compare the patrol with on a like for like basis and if the first one did a good job,why not another.
Regards Alan.
AnswerID: 305276

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 14:55

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 14:55
Should be a good car Muzz , not enough power means I'd go for the petrol but really wheels and a few plastic trims wouldn't put me off such a vehicle
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 305286

Reply By: chisel - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 15:35

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 15:35
If you want new-ish, auto, large, wagon, no ifs ... can only be a Patrol.
Jeep might be an alternative, but is not as large. I can't think of any other non-ifs wagons that have auto option.
I'd suggest you reconsider ifs if you want more choice. Is it really that bad?
AnswerID: 305292

Follow Up By: Muzzgit [WA] - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 16:10

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 16:10
Is it really that bad? Good question!

Having spoken to many many people, the ones who don't do any serious off road stuff love the IFS landcruiser. For the highway and general touring they are spot on. Others who get into the more serious stuff tell stories of blown front diffs, having to be snatched where others get through OK, or having to take the chicken track cos they can't get through.

My memories of the Navara with IFS are still pretty strong, even after 14 years!

Off road it would almost make me sea sick. The amount of bounce in the front end was annoying. I also remember going really hard to get through in places where my travelling buddy would walk his 60 series cruiser through without any trouble what so ever!

My main concern with the Patrol is the 17 inch rims - less tyre to bag out when deflated for sand driving - and the plastic wheel arches, which I know from experience are very expensive to replace when you break them.
FollowupID: 571295

Follow Up By: chisel - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 22:44

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 22:44
I think an IFS cruiser might be a bit different to the older Navara but I don't know if it will suit your purposes. Depends on how much truly difficult stuff you are going to tackle. I suspect an ifs cruiser with lockers would go almost anywhere most people would want to go.

Anyhow, I'm sure the Patrol is fine as well although I'm with you on the 17" rims - I would've preferred 16" rims on my 100 series but the 17" alloys certainly look nice.
FollowupID: 571362

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 22:56

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 22:56
Bagging out isn't what gains you surface area contact in sand. Tread length extension is where you gain.

A bigger issue would be once you gain the tread length extension at low psi's your expensive alloy rims are an half an inch closer to the ground than a truck running 16" rims.

Dave
FollowupID: 571363

Follow Up By: Muzzgit [WA] - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:58

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:58
Dave, I am aware that the footprint of the tyre gets longer when deflated, but I'm thinking there is less tyre to to get longer because of the lower profile.

I also think there is more chance of sidewall damage, but it seems that is the last of my worries!

The way diesel prices are going I think I need to find a good donkey and start stockpiling hay!
FollowupID: 571425

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 20:37

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 20:37
Hi Muzz,

I can see it now. Staun will have to invent the hoof deflator...

Then 4HD Action (4 Hoof Donkey Action) can give away a free set with a subscription....

Dave
FollowupID: 571900

Reply By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 20:37

Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 20:37
Muzzgit [WA]
You could put a Chev 6.5 V8 diesel in your car, at around $18000-$20000 you would have a formidable beast that is so much more powerful than your existing 3ltr and a lot more usable, as well as retaining your auto transmission and getting rid of all that electronic wizardry. That motor would be bullet-proof and a lot of fun to drive, as well as std diesel technology that is repairable by any diesel mechanic. I am looking at that option myself right now.
The 6.5V8 non turbo diesel gives you 375nm torque & 180 old horsepower (not sure what that is in Kw) That puts a whole new life back into your bus.
Colin.
AnswerID: 305351

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:24

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:24
Muzz I don't think you can seriously compare the IFS of a Navara to a 100 series as that was arguably the worst front end put on a 4by ever, in fact they drove up steep hills better in reverse than forward :-))
The main issue with the wheel travel on the Cruiser would be climbing steep rock ledges & negotiating metre deep ruts & lets be honest, will the car be doing that anyway? As 99% of the time is spent on Tar & loose dirt the handling of the IFS is an improvement over solid axle.
Unless you don't intend to modify the vehicle at all you need to forget what the vehicles do standard & see what they are capable of kitted out. The TD Cruiser has far more power, is much more refined, has an excellent 5 speed gearbox & more than capable of going anywhere but the most serious of rock crawling. Really it comes down to are you prepared to pay the premium for a Toyota as the high resale for the TD makes them pretty expensive in comparison, but then that's because they are the better car ;-)
Coming from the old school of solid axles, split rims, cross ply tyres & manual gearbox I have done a complete turn around after seeing what modern vehicles are capable of. Go for a drive in one offroad with an open mind before discounting any vehicle.
Cheers Craig.....................

AnswerID: 305428

Sponsored Links