Camping rights on WA pastoral leases ?

Submitted: Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:21
ThreadID: 57909 Views:8124 Replies:11 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,

Where possible I always ask property owners for permission to enter there land , but sometimes on those huge leases , it is just not possible to get to them to ask .

Are you allowed by WA law to camp on leased land and if so what are the stipulations regarding this ?

I think I remember vaguely that you are not allowed to camp near a waterhole if it is going to affect stock watering - is that correct ?

Is there different laws when camping / fossicking with a WA Miners Right ?

I would like to be clear about where I stand before I go .

Thanks a lot ,

Willie .

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:21

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:21
there / their ................bloody spell checkers
AnswerID: 305417

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:30

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:30
Why would't you simply contact the relevant WA goverment department.

Try Googling "WA government" and see what comes up, you'll be surprised how easy and quick it is.
AnswerID: 305418

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:42

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:42
Don't know if this site will have the answers, but....

http://wa.gov.au/

While I have the opportunity, Willie did you get an answer to your question about the Hymen Reese?:

"Can somebody tell me if it is the hole in the female outside fitting or the male insert which starts to elongate?" .

Strangest question I've ever read on any Forum.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 571410

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:52

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:52
Mr Bush ,

Are you a Boger ?

How else would you describe it more clearly ?

Yes , I got an answer - it is the holes in the female section . I am going to have some extra metal welded to the outside of each hole and either find a long bolt and have a hole drilled in it , or have a longer pin made .

Willie .
FollowupID: 571414

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:01

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:01
Wizard1,
I have tried Googling WA Govt and the information is not easy to find .
Thanks for your help,
Willie .
FollowupID: 571415

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:08

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:08
Here you go, try this and then give them a ring. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

WA Lands

All I did was do to the list of government depts, whent to L for land and then went from there, quite easy from what I could see.

At the end of the day you might have to leave the web and ring someone.
FollowupID: 571430

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:52

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:52
Thank you Wizard 1 , but I got the info from the DPI site that Equinox posted .
Willie .
FollowupID: 571443

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 13:05

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 13:05
I'm looking for the same info too Willie - when web crawling I found it elusive too....... in SA, the info is quite clear but I found it on a fourbie club site !
FollowupID: 571462

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:49

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 09:49
When you come to WA you must visit Gnomesville.

Just Google: gnomseville wa

You will feel right at Gnome. There's the Rolling Gnomes, Greg Gnoman and a whole bunch more.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 305421

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:02

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:02
A rolling gnome gathers no moss .
FollowupID: 571417

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:03

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:03
Hi Willie, most of the pastoralsits we have contacted are very obliging, with camping over here at the moment. Just about all the van parks in the hot spot" detetcting areas have a list of their phone numbers and names.
Some have a list of guidlines they want you to follow, but most of it is just common sense. No firemarms, take your rubbish,bury ya poos (its surprising over here how many dont!!!), no camping next to trough or watering points etc etc.
be nice to them, and they are nice to you basically, we met a slightly irate one the other day but we could see why.
A tour operator, had taken 11 vans in to his area without permission. We ask them if they have a uhf channel they monitor as well just in case of a dire emergency, or, they need to contact us for any reason. We also give them a ring as we leave the property, so they no we have departed just in case they wish to send in some vermin shooters. Hope that helps a little.unc
AnswerID: 305423

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:07

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 11:07
We contacted Balfour Downs and asked then for permission . They were very unfriendly . We did not say we were going to fossick , just that we wanted to go up to Gregory Creek . He said they were mustering in "the area " and to keep out .

So much for doing the right thing .

Willie .
FollowupID: 571801

Reply By: equinox - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:09

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 10:09
Try this link Willie: DPI Site

A Miners Right is a last resort measure (Yes I carry mine with me wherever I go) but it's best to try and get along the the Lessor.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305425

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:06

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 16:06
Read this as well - Prospecting, Exploration, Mining On Pastoral Leases

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 571659

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:29

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:29
I don't know about the laws but not camping near a stock watering point is common sense and shouldn't need a law. If you don't interfere with the station owner livelyhood it is unlikely to be a problem.
AnswerID: 305436

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:51

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 11:51
Thank you , it is so nice to know that there are such clever people as yourselves out and about .
FollowupID: 571441

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:07

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:07
Willie

The following relates to SA (not WA). Irrespective of any ACT, it's considered common courtesy to gain permission for entry into any property.

Legislation (The Act)
PASTORAL LAND MANAGEMENT AND CONSERVATION ACT 1989
Right to travel across and camp on pastoral land
48. (1) Subject to this Act, a person may travel (by any means) or camp temporarily on a public access route.
(2) Subject to this Act, a person may, on giving oral or written notice to the lessee, travel across pastoral land
(otherwise than on a public access route) by any means other than a motor vehicle, a horse or a camel and, in the course of so travelling, camp temporarily on the land.
(3) Subject to this Act, a person may, with the consent of the lessee or the Minister, travel across pastoral land (otherwise than on a public access route) by means of a motor vehicle, a horse or a camel and, in the course of so travelling, camp temporarily on the land.
(4) This section does not give a person the right to camp-

(a) within a radius of one kilometre of any house, shed or other outbuilding on the land; or
(b) within a radius of 500 metres of a dam or any other constructed stock watering point on the land.
(5) A person who proposes to travel across or camp on pastoral land in the manner referred to in subsection (3) must first seek the lessee's consent to the proposal and the lessee may refuse that consent if of the opinion that it is necessary to do so for the purposes of the safety of the public, the management of stock or the carrying out of rehabilitative work on the land or for any other good and sufficient reason.
(6) If the lessee refuses to consent to a proposal under subsection (5), the person may seek the Minister's consent to the proposal.
(7) The Minister may, without consulting the lessee, consent to the proposal but, if the Minister consents to the proposal without consulting the lessee, the proposal cannot be carried out until the Minister has notified the lessee that consent has been given.
(8) The Minister incurs no liability by virtue of giving consent to a proposal to travel across or camp on pastoral land.
(9) For the purposes of this section, camping is temporary if it is for a period not exceeding two weeks or, if some other greater or lesser period is prescribed in respect of a particular area, that period in relation to camping in that area.
What Intending travellers should do
1. Obtain an RAA Outback map (free if you are an RAA member). If your intended journey will remain entirely on the roads shown, you will be travelling within the Public Road network and therefore will not need to obtain consent to traverse any pastoral leases. You may however need to purchase an appropriate Parks Pass if your journey includes any National Parks and Wildlife SA reserves or an appropriate permit if you intend to traverse any Aboriginal Lands.
2. If you intend venturing off the above Public Road network, refer to the map below for a broad indication of whether your intended journey will include a pastoral lease. If so, follow the procedure below to apply for the necessary consent:
I. Establish the name(s) of the lease(s) for which consent will be required by purchasing a full size version of the map below from the following outlets:
? Mapland
? The Map Shop
II. Obtain a Pastoral Leases List from Outback SA, Level 6, 101 Grenfell St., ADELAIDE SA 5000 or telephone 1 800 678 477 and select the contact details for those pastoral leases for which consent will be required. Club Members note that your Trips Coordinator will probably have this list available.
III. Contact the relevant pastoral lessee(s) by telephone or letter well in advance of your proposed trip. Be prepared to give clear details of your intended route, the date(s) involved and whether camping is also intended. If consent is granted take careful note of any instructions or conditions attached to that consent and make sure you abide by them. Be aware however that consent may not be granted because of pastoral management issues or other local conditions at that time.
You may need to reschedule your trip for another more appropriate period.

Hope this helps

Regards

Kim

AnswerID: 305481

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:46

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 17:46
Thanks Kim ,

I have printed that out and put it in my SA file .

Now I wish someone could give me the same thing for WA .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 571498

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Friday, May 23, 2008 at 18:25

Friday, May 23, 2008 at 18:25
Willie

You also might try:

1. Pastoralists and Graziers Association who are the reprentative body for station owners in WA.

2. Kimberley Development Commission.

3. Derby Shire Council.

It's been a few years since I've much to do with these organisations, so my contacts would outdated now.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 305497

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:11

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:11
This link [ http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/pastoral/1602.asp ] mentioned above seems as close as one might get on WA - the general thrust of that advice seems quite 'casual' to me.
AnswerID: 305572

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:19

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:19
Is this it ? [ http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/pastoral_outbacktravel.pdf ]
FollowupID: 571604

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 21:54

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 21:54
Willie,

Think Uncle has summed up the issue pretty well, though it doesn't mean that's okay in WA.

Being the custodian of a pastoral lease in western Qld, I've got no dramas with people camping along the gazetted road, as long as they leave nothing but footprints.........etc.

We have one of the station UHF channels displayed on the grids entering the lease, so if they need to advise us, or require assistance, then we can help them. As I understand it, whether we like it or not, we have a duty of care for anyone, as well as our staff, that is on the property, even if they are only travelling through.

The length of stay of the travellers, might determine how warm a welcome they get!!!

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 305675

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:29

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:29
Thanks Bob ,

Unfortunately , we have contacted Balfour Downs and got a grumpy reception . We asked if we could take the track from Christie Crossing up to Gregory Creek as we are trying to locate the Pool so raved about by Frank Hann in his diary .

We got the standard "keep out of the area because we are mustering " answer . It is a huge area , and after being involved in mustering before , I know there would not have been a problem .

Oh well , we tried to do the right thing .

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 571834

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:45

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:45
Willie,

You can't do much more than that, eh.

Often the case of "who you know, not what you know" will get you through many gates. Maybe you ring again later when you are in the area, and present yourself for "inspection".

Yeah, the mustering clause is a good one! Have used it a number of times myself, if only to stall the inquirer for a few more days. With helicopters and quiet cattle, most times it shouldn't be a drama. S'pose it's their perogative.

Willie, its so dry here, we don't have many cattle left, so I can't use that one at the moment!!!

Hooroo,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 571836

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:14

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:14
Hi Willie - we don't go fossicking, but have on occasions pulled off the side of the road for the night in station country. Most times we don't have a clue what station we are on or how to contact them. Signage on some is better these days, with a name of the station on the gate, and on rare occasions a UHF #. Of course we don't stop near stock watering points, or leave any trace, other that adding our tyre tracks to places where on most occasions, someone has been before us.

We are at Wickham at our son's place, where we will be based for a couple of weeks before heading further north. The topic of camping on station land was discussed in a thread on the Kimberley a week or two ago - 57684. Are you on schedule?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 305770

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:36

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:36
Hi Mrs Hen ,

I read that post - interesting , thanks . I think Anne has retired now at Drysdale

Have a great trip ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 571863

Sponsored Links