Interesting Technology Combining HUF CB and the Internet

Submitted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 00:53
ThreadID: 57936 Views:2425 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On a caravan Forum there is discussion about some interference to UHF CB in Perth happening, at the moment, on Channel 18.

Apparently there is some technology available that allows people to speak over their UHFs, it is picked up by some sort of receiver connected to a PC and the transmission is then directed anywhere in the world over the internet and retransmitted over another UHF. Allowing you to talk over your UHF CB to other people anywhere in the world on their CB as if they were just down the road.

This site: http://palmbeach.dynalias.com/gateway.htm explains how it works.

It's all new to me but sounds absolutely fascinating provided it is not abused and not allowed to adversely affect other people.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 00:54

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 00:54
Sorry, the title should have said UHF.... not HUF
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 305548

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 05:59

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 05:59
Gone Bush
Your forgiven for the error.....we all know your always in a HUF

I used to do that with Truckies , I had one talking to another from the CB and the hands free phone speaker, a bit tricky , just press the Mike button when the other party on the phone spoke, hands free would pick up the CB reply,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 571586

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 08:51

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 08:51
Ham radio ops have been doing similar things for years. In fact there are many variations.
AnswerID: 305570

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:02

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:02
The VKS radio network uses a similar thing over the telephone system using interconnects, They can receive and make calls on HF from there phones and change receiver and transmitter locations.

The radio and transmitter may be hundreds of kilometers away from where the operator is.

The person who answers your call may be at a friends place or the local fish and chip shop getting tea and you would not know.

When i was doing some work at Steve Johnstons "OAM" place he gave me a tour......

Signalman may be able to spread some light on it.
AnswerID: 305571

Reply By: Tony MD - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:42

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 09:42
Hi Gone Bush
Do a Google search on Echolink & IRLP
Cheers, Tony.
AnswerID: 305575

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 10:00

Saturday, May 24, 2008 at 10:00
Some good technology. The WA Emergency Services are currently working on a project that uses similar technology- referred to as ROIP- Radio Over Internet Protocol. Great for long distance communications as it negates the need for high powered transmitters, repeaters, and can link small, remote and country centre into the main network using UHF rather than HF, which can tie up alot more resources.

found this link
AnswerID: 305578

Sponsored Links