Toyota Prado

Submitted: Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 08:22
ThreadID: 57968 Views:2181 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I am currently a Nissan Patrol Driver and am thinking of upgrading well i guess it would be a downgrade in size to the Prado.

I an think of getting it around october but i heard that there is a new shap coming out for 2009. Does any one have any pictures or know the details of what the differences are?

Also i find it strange / annoying that you cant get the VX or Grand in Manual, so i guess i have to have auto? what is the autos like?

Thanks
Brent
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 09:45

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 09:45
Why not ask Toyota. Perhaps you could order one with the specs you want if you get in early.

Try the LCOOL site its definitive about Toyotas
AnswerID: 305710

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:55

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 14:55
Image Could Not Be Found
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 305743

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:16

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:16
And your point is ??? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 571854

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:28

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:28
Steve

A picture says a thousand words.

This is the second Prado I have known to have rolled in the Katherine region in the last 6 months.

I have driven a prado and it is uncomfortable for me as a driver.

I would not consider replacing my Patrol with one.

Tjilpi

FollowupID: 571859

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:56

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 17:56
Fair enough. I must say I havnt seen any on there side before but then havnt travelled the Katherine region before. Could also be driver error and not driving to the conditions. Dont doubt the prado's not being as stable as a patrol due to wider wheel track on the patrol and prado been narrower and possibly higher bit like the old lux's or should I say roll lux as people use to say to me when I had mine but must say that in the end I think driver has a lot to do with what happens. See heaps of people screaming along dirt roads who half the time have had no experience in those conditions and dont allow for ruts,washouts etc and I think the prado been more car like to drive makes the driver not realize the possible dangers. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 571869

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:08

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:08
Its certainly a vehicle I have commented on before as being prone to rollovers , but its good to see the the roof line as held up and hopefully the occupants got out with minimal injuries
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 571912

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:34

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:34
Steve M

Unfortunately 4X4 these days tend to have a lot more power than they did years ago.

People drive them as if they were sports cars. The Toyota Prado and Landcruisers are more prone to rolling over than the Patrol. The bottom line is that they are 4X4s and should not be expected to handle like a sports car. Yes it is driver error that causes them to roll. That is why I would recommend 4WD courses.

Robin

tragically the driver of the vehicle I posted did not survive. I got the photo from an article in the Katherine Times. It is a stark rememinder.

Tjilpi

Trilpi

FollowupID: 571921

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:58

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 21:58
Sorry to hear the driver didnt make it. Looks like it rolled a few times as well. If the family of this person reads this, My thought's go out to you. Sorry to hear of your loss. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 571929

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 16:46

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 16:46
Actually Brent the space inside a Prado isn't that far off a Patrol so doubt you'll have trouble fitting your gear in. Haven't heard of a new body shape but would probably be due for a cosmetic upgrade by next year. The auto is an excellent gearbox, how suitable it is for you will depend on your needs. The 120 series has been a very reliable vehicle so far although if you are considering going offroad I'd choose a lower spec model without the air suspension.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 305758

Reply By: madfisher - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 16:52

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 16:52
We have two d4ds at work which replaced a 3lt Patrol. Its like upgrading from a model t to the latest falcon as far as road driving is concerned.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 305761

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:14

Sunday, May 25, 2008 at 19:14
Brent

I'm on my second Prado which was purchased as a run out model in December 2006. The reason I didn't wait for the new model was because I'd heard they'd dropped the clearance by 15mm.

As previously stated, their very reliable and comfortable. Also quite a bit of room under the bonnet for add on's (petrol engine).

Like any car there's always something to grumble about:

1. Get the wire connecting the reversing alarm cut. The bloody thing hasn't got a clue what it's doing.
2. The GXL tends to wallow a bit in certain driving conditions. If I had the money I'd put an after market suspension kit on it.
3. The back end of the Prado is plastic and totally useless. There's a company in Melbourne offering a steel rear bar to fix the problem.

Be careful about the top end of the range. If something go's wrong, you'll be hit with a bill that'll make your eyes water.

The 180Lt tank is also a bonus.

Regards

Kim

AnswerID: 305802

Reply By: DOBBO60 - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 19:56

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 19:56
Brent,

Check out www.pradopoint.com
There is a wealth of information to be found on every aspect of the Prado.
I've had my 05 GXL V6 for 2 years now and absolutely love it.
A suspension upgrade is a must and where you go from there is dependant on the size of your wallet.
The 5 speed auto is a smooth performer and haven driven one I doubt that you would want the manual anyway.

cheers
Dobbo
AnswerID: 305982

Sponsored Links