Coromal Seka....more dramas.

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2008 at 15:04
ThreadID: 58011 Views:15420 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks to those that replied to thread 57994.

This morning I helped my neighbour to set up his van and car combo. On hooking up the van I noticed the weight at the draw bar seemed excessive. Once connected the back end of the Pathfinder was way too low. I dont believe the sales people allowed him to tow it away like this.

We disconnected the van and measured the draw bar weight which reached the maximum scale reading of 120 kg with more weight yet to come off the jockey wheel. [my guess about another 60 kg]. Apart from the 9kg gas bottle, spare wheel and a fairly heavy annex all stored in the front storage compartment, the van is empty.

I removed the bottle, wheel and annex and still had more weight to come off the jockey wheel.

I've discounted crook vehicle springs because I weigh in at a lythe 155 kg and all the jumping around in the rear of the car didnt make much of an impression.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences with either this model van or drawbar weight issues.

Cheers.....Lionel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ircon - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 15:11

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 15:11
What model Seka? 505 Single Axle? 535 Tandem?

I had a 505 Pioneer XC. Two gas 9 kg bottles, 100 Ah battery in the front boot and a front kitchen. Very very heavy ball weight.

I think it's a Coromal thing.

Rosscoe
AnswerID: 305946

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 15:50

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 15:50
Thanks Rosscoe, its a single axle poptop, roughly pace out about 14-15 ft.

Spotted a small tag on it Tare 1000 kg.

Just seems a bit front heavy for a small van.

Lionel.
FollowupID: 571997

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 15:46

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 15:46
Lionel
Given the amount of confusion that exists about anti sway bars and weight distribution hitches I think you can assume that what the salesman was talking about was, in fact, a weight distribution hitch. That would explain your disbelief at your mate being allowed to drive away with the van in tow. It still doesn't overcome the problem of an excessive ball weight, but does go some way to reducing it.

tessa
AnswerID: 305950

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 16:02

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 16:02
Thanks Tessa, Im inclined to biuld him a rear bracket for the wheel, load his gear more towards the rear of the van, then see if we can get a ball weight closer to 80 kg ish and fit the WDH.

See if that'll do the job.
I think the van is a 1992 build, is smaller than my BIL's 2002 Jayco Freedom but a lot heavier.

As Russcoe suggests, it may be a Coromal thing.

Cheers.....Lionel.
FollowupID: 571999

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 16:28

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 16:28
Howdy Lionel, I am no expert but would be wary about moving to much weight towards the rear.
As a general rule of thumb, the weight on the ball should be about 10% of the trailer weight. If you lighten the ball weight to much, I am led to believe that it will cause instability of the van when being towed. There needs to be a certain amount of weight on the ball in order for you to be able to have control.

If it were me I would first establish accurately what the ball weight is & make sure it is within the rated capacity of the vehicle. (this can usually be found in vehicle the manual)
Weight Distribution Hitches do not lessen the weight on the ball, they simply distribute some of the weight to the front axle, provided they are set up correctly, thereby re establishing vehicle steering & braking capacity. Cheers
AnswerID: 305956

Follow Up By: Member - eerfree(QLD) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 20:11

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 20:11
Lionel
I am with barry F on this but I would go further and establish Exactly what the GTM is Loaded, get him to do trip to the local dump, they will have a weighbridge.
If you are going to shift the load, distribute it evenly across the length of the van not just front and rear.
Collyn Rivers has some good stuff on the web about Weight Distribution.

Bob
FollowupID: 572030

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:11

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:11
Dont go to the dump as most of those bridges only weigh in large increments.
For under $20 you can go to a certified weigh bridge and do this.

Pull up with only the van on the bridge, connect jockey wheel, disconnect from car and weigh the whole thing. That is the ATM

Back it off and only have jockey wheel on bridge. Even better is jack exactly under the towball. Weigh that. Thats the ball weight.
The difference between the two is the GTM
To do it correctly you should load it up as you would when you are departing on holiday.
Take the other half and after you have done the above hook up and weigh the whole rig with YOU AND WIFE IN IT. That is the GCVM You may be surprised at the result.

The towball weight should be AT LEAST 10% but may be higher but shouldnt be lower than that to ensure stability.
MY van's ATM is now 2.8tonne and has a towbal weight of 315kg and tows like a dream
AnswerID: 306089

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:17

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 11:17
Forgot to say that a WDH does NOT alter ball weight at all. All it does is level up the vehicles by pivoting the car on the rear axle and distributing some of the weight on that axle further forward. Likewise with the van. The ball weight remains constant. How it is applied to the vehicles changes.
FollowupID: 572110

Sponsored Links