overdrive

Submitted: Monday, May 26, 2008 at 19:35
ThreadID: 58016 Views:1531 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Have just completed Perth to Darwin section of trip around paddock with 2001 Prado diesel auto towing 16' van. Disappointed with fuel consumption of just over 16 l per 100 k but have not gone into overdrive so far. Thinking of using overdrive from now on in appropriate places ( downhill or level with tail or no wind). Are we likely to damage transmission.

Any advice much appreciated.

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 20:19

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 20:19
I have a manual, but my rule of thumb has always been once I have to use more than half trottle I drop back to 4th and I have never had to overhaul a gearbox(touch wood). Certainly downhill would not be a problem. How heavy is the van?
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 305992

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 21:47

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 21:47
Friends of ours live in Batesman Bay and they have a 2002 T/D Prado and tows a Coromal 18 footer and averages around the 13/14 and always uses overdrive. I was talking to him about it not so long ago after reading things on here just to see what he had to say about it and said so far no issues doesnt even have an extra tranny cooler on it and now has just on 150k on the clock and uses the prado purely for towing the van they have another car for around town so most/virtually all of the klms on the prado have been with the van hooked on. He reckons the transmission is very responsive and will kick down when ever it needs to or will kick out the lock up torque converter first then click back out of O/D if need be. In fact has never even had the transmission serviced and to my surprise is still nice and pink ?? Must admit if mine and was doing all that towing I would have definately had it done but he said is not in service book at all so has never bothered. Luck ?? maybe but so far not one issue but must say he only uses it on road, the van is also not for off road. He also uses cruise control most of the time. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 306015

Follow Up By: madfisher - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 22:32

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 22:32
Interesting Steve that your mate uses cruise control, to get good economy I have to use cruise, but never when towing. I believe it is potentially dangerous . Seen a bad accident near Yetholme recently involving a prado and large van that was put down to using cruise.
I have been meaning to do a test while towing using only 4th than retest using 5th where that is advantagous.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 572063

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, May 26, 2008 at 22:49

Monday, May 26, 2008 at 22:49
Hi Pete, should also add that he doesnt use cruise in hilly, bendy roads mainly where the roads are long and straight with your average bends in the road but not too twisty. He did say on the hills he finds the cruise a bit slow responding and will drop speed then the vehicle goes oops climbing hill then he said the next thing it will go from o/d to 2nd rev its nut out then once over the hill will go over the set speed and settle its self down.He will usually over ride the cruise and excelerate himself to keep it on the boil then when over the hill will ease his foot of the throttle till he feels the pedal starting to pull away from under his foot knowing cruise control is taken over again. He usually cruises around the 90k mark but did say he will sit on 100 on the very open roads. He also said that the vehicle really does struggle to maintain 90 on hill anyway, depending obviously on the gradient of the hill. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 572070

Follow Up By: madfisher - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 07:19

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 07:19
Yes I think the problem is the overspeeding as you come over the crest. Falcons are shockers for this. If you have electric brakes it takes some of the worry out of the situation.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 572091

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 09:10

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 09:10
Have you checked the Owners Handbook for direction on the subject? Have you checked with Toyota for 'their opinion'? Why not call into your 'local' Auto Trans. Service Centre and ask them, they should be able to give you 'the good oil' on which transmissions in your class of vehicle are in the group that they constantly have to re-build because of 'failures'. Worth a try.
AnswerID: 306073

Sponsored Links