Gunbarrel Highway Feedback

Road was very rough and very slow going. We came in on the Heather Hwy from the Great Centeral Hwy, like a goat track. Good camping stop in Gibson Desert. 2 days max speed 35kmp/h, until you get to Wiluna shire then nice graded road about 300km, be aware of the cattle! Very interesting though at lot of thought went into the design looking forward to doing the Canning now
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 07:53

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 07:53
Hi Karen and Ryan
Thanks for that. We are up there in two weeks time. We will be doing the Abandoned Section of the Gunbarrel from Giles, coming out on the Heather Highway. Back to Warburton and Giles and then the Sandy Blight Junction Road.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 306063

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:04

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 20:04
Stephen,

you said the magic words 'SBJT'. I love that track. If you have time its worth turning west at the Sir Fredrick Range sign post. An interesting drive to the top and if you look really hard you can see the coast to the east, west, south and north west (well nearly). There is a cairn on top with a tin containing visitor notes.

Did the GBH ten years ago. The SBJT is far more interesting.

Bob
FollowupID: 572169

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 21:27

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 at 21:27
Hi Bob
Thanks for that. We were out that way years ago and the SBJT was closed and permits were not being issued. We are looking forward to the trip.

Best Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572196

Follow Up By: farmer112 - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 03:14

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 03:14
Hi Stephen,

could you send me an email after doing the Sandy Blight Junction Road, concerning the condition of the road? What do you think how long it will take you to do the Sandy Blight Junction Road? Unfortunately, there is no trek information on this one on exploroz.com.

Thanks in advance for your help,

greetings from bloody boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen
FollowupID: 573287

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:51
Hi Juergen
If you send me a members message or send me a private email with your email address,I will gladly send you the track details for the Sandy Blight Junction Road.
I will be doing a few trek details for the trip that we are doing, and the SBJR will be one of the new trek files. We are allowing 3 days from Giles in WA through to Kintore in the NT.
Only 4 days now before we sent off, so it should be great out there again, as it has been 10 years since last out to Giles.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573299

Sponsored Links