BF Goodrich All Terrain vs Mud Terrain

I'm in the market for a new set of shoes for my Nissan Patrol, and am going for the BF Goodrich.

Can anyone tell me the difference and therefore serviceability of the All Terrain & Mud Terrain? Will the MT go ok for those tracks that have rocks, shale, stakes etc?

Regards
Kym111
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 10:52

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 10:52
I used to switch between the BFG AT's and the MT's based on my driving needs at the time.

Soon got sick of doing the switch so now only use the MT's.
They are a far better all round tyre for off road work being a obviously much courser tread pattern and are a much firmer rubber compound than say the Coopers all this means that in my view they tend to stand up much better on the rock, shale and gibber type tracks.
The AT's do not like rocky tracks and I found they lost lugs and wore the block edges down fairly quickly on these tracks.
I have used my MT's in quite a number of outback desert areas such as the Simpson etc and found them to be excellent in the sand also.

The AT's are terrible in the mud they clog up and turn to slicks real quick, too fine a tread pattern and don't clear themselves.
The MT's also hold quite well on the black top even in the rain.

All in all a very good tyre and will be replacing them with the same when that time comes.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306279

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:01

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:01
Hi John
I agree with your comment on the AT in rocky tracks. I almost destroyed a near new set of ATs after 5 days in the Vic. High Country. Lugs off- edge blocks chopped off etc.
Very disappointed. I sent details with pics. to BFG. Their response was as good as "tuff".

FollowupID: 572283

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:45

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:45
Yep seen and experienced that effect also.
The High Country can be very hard on tyres, in my 4wd club I would suggest the predominance of vehicles are fitted with BFG Muddies as we obviously do a lot of HC trips and they handle the conditions very well.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 572287

Reply By: Member - Michael Y (VIC) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:17

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:17
John I can understand the muddies being the best all round but how do they handle and feel on the highways. To look at they look like they'd be a rought ride on the highway. I've only used the A/T's !!.Look forward to your comments.
AnswerID: 306283

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:52

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:52
Michael I have found them to be very good on the highways given that they are fitted to a Troopy which weighs about 3 tonnes and does not handle like a sports car :-)

They will become somewhat noisier as they wear down but nothing to dramatic.
Hold well in the wet and all round I have found them to be a very good tyre and somewhat underrated in the great tyre debate that appears on here from time to time.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 572289

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:53

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 11:53
How many usable kilometers to people normally get out of a set of BFG Mud Terrains ?.

By usable I mean is enough tread left for usable off road grip rather than basic roadworthy tread depth ?
AnswerID: 306292

Follow Up By: Marn - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:51

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:51
I have approx 40,000 on my m/t bfg's and they appear about half worn. I did make the mistake of not keeping them in balance which caused some uneven wear. I live in Broken Hill and often go to a friends station out of white cliffs and they seem to stand up to the sharp rocks rather well and i do not adjust tyre pressure as some reccommend to avoid tyre damage in rocks. They are also fairly quiet on the highway. Not one puncture yet and i will definitely get them again. Hope this helps. Cheers Marn
FollowupID: 572353

Reply By: Boobook2 - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 13:08

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 13:08
Depending on what size you are looking for, it might pay to wait for about 6 weeks. BFG are bringing out the new M/T KM2's as released in the US. They are getting good reviews for being tougher in the rocks etc, better sidewalls, similar pattern to the Baja's. BFG reckon they are 30% stronger than the current KM's.

Check out the US BFG site for sizes etc, as phase 1 of the release has restricted and mostly bigger sizes.
AnswerID: 306302

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:26

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:26
I Have BFG A/T's on the prado and also had them on the hilux. Did the High Country,had done heaps of off road, shale,rocks,sand etc never had an issue. Yes might have had a slice here (minor and in the tread pattern not the sides) and there but so will anything else on shale, trick is to try and not accelerate so as to try and not spin the wheels mainly on shale as we all know will cut like a knife. Did 60k on the hilux with them on before selling it and would have got another 40k easy. There was a time when they tried making the BF's in another country instead of USA and had some big issues with chunks/lugs what ever you want to call them being ripped off the tyres. They started to get a bad name so went back to being made in the USA again. I was going to go the muddies and have two sets of rims but like above couldnt be bothered to change wheels over all the time even for having weekend fun. Totally agree with the A/T's blocking up quickly in mud,clay etc but they do have a fairly good side lugs for grabbing at the edge of some thing but obviously not if burying down in it requires the muddies and a bit of grunt to spin the mud clear. But decided not to get the muddies due to where I live. Not a straight road in the place and was advised against it as I would have chewed the outer lugs off the tread in no time at all the reason why I went the A/T's. The only other issue I have with A/T's is they like to hold stones in the tread pattern which can be annoying once back on the black top get that clicking sound if you have the window down. Next time but I will give the muddies a go. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 306311

Reply By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:32

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:32
G'day there,

The only thing I might add is that they dig down in the sand. Caused beach work to be a bit harder until I got the turbo.

I only have one set of wheels, so use them all the time. I will probably get 55,000 km's out of them (with usable tread left). I'm happy with that considering the grip they offer, durability (didn't chip too badly on our last 10,000+km Simpson round trip) and how well they drive on the road.

Tyres are a pretty personal choice, and there are plenty of choices... BFgoodrich tyres have served me well for the last 5 sets (last 4 sets were AT's) so haven't felt the need to try something else.

Hope this helps,

Ross.
AnswerID: 306315

Sponsored Links