Recipes

Submitted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:18
ThreadID: 58091 Views:3983 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking for nice, filling and easy to prepare meal ideas
We are going away for 3 weeks in a campertrailer with a icebox and Fridge freezer. We also have a 2 burner gas stove, gas BBQ and 2 camp ovens and 2 saucepans. We will be bush camping and staying in a few Caravan parks
Thanks Julie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:27

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 14:27
We found a great side serve to a plate is the Ainsley Harriott Cous Cous, which are packaged well for use while camping. That is if you like couscous. They come in a variety of flavours. Simple and quick to prepare.
AnswerID: 306312

Reply By: Member - Damien F (QLD) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:53

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 15:53
I always keep a few pre-cooked meals in the freezer at home. When the time comes I just transfer them to the camping freezer and reheat in a frying pan. It's easy to prepare and makes it easier to go away for the weekend with little notice.
AnswerID: 306324

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:23

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 16:23
Here's a few to get you started:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beef in Red Wine

From The Hillbilly Cookbook

750gm cheap steak
440gm tin chopped tomatoes
440gm tin mushrooms in butter sauce
1 packet of French Onion Soup
3/4cup of red wine
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon of oil
1 carrot and/or other vegetables as available
2 cloves garlic

Cut the steak into cubes
Fry the garlic in oil
Add the steak and cook in the oil/garlic for a minute or two until browned.
Mix the French Onion Soup and the wine.
Transfer all the ingredients to the camp oven and cook for 1½ hours on a low fire or 180 deg. C in the oven

Serve with mashed potatoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken with saffron and peas

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
Serves 4

2 tabsp oil
900g-1.5kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces and skinned if desired
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 teasp paprika
1 clove garlic, crushed
Can of chopped tomatoes, 440gm
300g rice (uncooked)
700 ml pints boiling water
1/4 teasp ground saffron
180g frozen peas, thawed
2 tabsp chopped parsley
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a large frying pan.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place it in the hot oil, skin side down first.Cook over moderate heat, turning the chicken frequently to brown it lightly. Set the chicken aside.

Add the onions to the oil and cook slowly until softened but not colored.

Add the paprika and cook about 2 minutes, stirring frequently until the paprika loses some of its red color.

Add the garlic and the tomatoes.

Cook the mixture over high heat for about 5 minutes to evaporate the liquid from the tomatoes. The mixture should be of dropping consistency when done.

Add the rice, water, and saffron and stir together.

Return the chicken to the casserole and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce to simmering, cover tightly, and cook for about 15 minutes.

Remove chicken and add the peas and parsley.

Cook, covered, for a further 5 to 10 minutes, or until rice is tender.

Combine with the chicken to serve.

Chilli Con Carne

Serves 4. - Good Housekeeping - 04/08/97 - Modded. by me

700g minced beef
440gm tin red kidney beans, drained
800gm can tomatoes
70gm tomato puree (2 big tablespoons)
15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
2 medium onions skinned and chopped
2 garlic clove skinned and crushed
5ml (1 level teaspoon) hot chilli powder and/or 30-45ml chilli seasoning
(Use 1 35gm pack of Old El Paso Chilli Seasoning Mix)
Decent sprinkle of chilli powder
15ml flour

Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry until
softened, then add the mince and cook until brown.

Add the garlic, El Paso and chilli powder.

Sprinkle in the flour and stir well

Add the tomato puree and tomatoes with their juice.

Bring to the boil and add drained beans.

Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Corn Chowder

1 onion
2 rashers bacon
30 g butter
750 g potatoes (4 medium), peeled and cut into small cubes
2 cups chicken stock
440g can creamed corn
1+1/2 cups milk

Chop onion and bacon

Melt butter in large pan, add onion and bacon. Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly golden.

Add potato and stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

Stir in creamed corn and milk.

Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking for 10 minutes or until potato is tender and chowder has thickened.

Serves 4

Creamy ham and mushroom pasta sauce

30g butter
185g mushrooms sliced
15g butter extra
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 chicken stock cube crumbled
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 clove garlic
3 spring onions
200g ham chopped – or 3 rashers of bacon chopped
1 medium red pepper thinly sliced

Melt butter in frying pan, add mushrooms, stir constantly over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Remove mushrooms from pan.

Add extra butter to the same pan, stir in flour and stock cube, stir constantly over medium heat for about 1 minute or until mixture is bubbly. Stir in milk, cream and wine, stir constantly over high heat until sauce mixture boils and thickens.

Stir in ham, mushrooms and pepper, cook for about 3 minutes to heat through.

Serve over hot pasta.

Feeds 2

Enjoy :)

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 306329

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 17:28

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 17:28
Howdy Mike, go easy!! You are setting the benchmark pretty high there, if my wife were to see that delicious lot I would have to hone up my cooking skills by quite a lot.
None the less I will try cooking one of those dishes on our next outing, think I will start with the one you mentioned in your first line, the red wine & beef, but being on the cautious side I will leave the beef out just in case it spoils the red. Cheers
FollowupID: 572329

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 17:40

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 17:40
I always knew deep down you were a Queensland supporter Barry ha ha

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 572335

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 18:06

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 18:06
Julie I apologise as I am about to interrupt your thread & I am not able to help you ( I just take my wife with me & she sorts out what I eat, when I eat it & dictates to me when "happy hour" is over, so she also dictates the time I eat. Such are wives!!

Now for the interruption to you thread. Young Kev, You lost. Admit it. There is no shame in being second best. Get used to it. There is a repeat dose coming up. And a third one after that. I badly need a prodigy brake controller??
Now, this "Sir" bit?? I thought the title on this Forum belonged to Footloose, he posted a thread some time back that suggested he had designs on becoming the GG. What have you done to dethrone him? LOL & cheers
FollowupID: 572336

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 18:32

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 18:32
Barry,

Have a look here for the details on my Knighthood :)

Cheers Sir Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 572337

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 18:56

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 18:56
My understanding of being Knighted, is that the reigning King or Queen takes a sword in hand, places it upon the shoulder of the person being Knighted, & says something like "I dub you Sir etc....
This honour is usually bestowed upon a person of Dignity & one who has contributed much to society. A bit like Sir Footy.

Now let us examine your case. You live in Qld. So what? Your idea of a family BBQ is Cane Toads on a spit. So what?
You support the Maroons. So what? You drive a Toyota. So what?
You lean on your council shovel all day. So what? You are a source of annoyance to us New South Walers. So what?

The only difference is that our leader, KEV 07, should have used a sharp sword when swearing you in ( & at you) LOL & cheers
FollowupID: 572342

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:37

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:37
Any chance of coming back to Planet Earth with this thread?
FollowupID: 572349

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:12

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:12
Gooday,
There is a Recipe book out called 4Ingredients, compiled by two Ladies.
Have look on the Web, www.4ingredients.com.au
worth a look My Brother recently bought one.
No connection just answering the question.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 306356

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:38

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 19:38
Gee Mike if you ever went missing in the High Country the Search & Rescue sniffer dogs will hunt you down no probs ! lol

Cheers

Oh am going to get the missus to do Beef in Red Wine next time !
AnswerID: 306360

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:39

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 20:39
One that we did and found easy is spagetti bolanaise. Cooked the mince, sauce,pasta at home,mix together freeze it then throw in the freezer of car.Pull out the morning your going to have it for tea. All you have to do then is put into saucepan heat on low heat so it doesnt burn keep stirring ready in 10.(I add a touch of water so it doesnt dry out) One saucepan an a few dishes and forks to wash up. Can make enough the first time at home split into two containers so you have have different nights. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 306370

Reply By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 23:09

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 23:09
Hi Julie,
We find the Continental side dishes so easy to take away. They come in rices, pasta and cous cous. Once made up, you can vary them by adding your own ingredients.ie: a can of vegs, Chopped cooked snags or any meat and away you go.

Another good idea is all the pasta sauces that come in plastic packis now so easy to cart. We tried one tonight Bertoli Roma cabornara.( Was giving it a test run for our next trip). Using meals like this now and then saves on fridge space and they are light to carry.
Cheers
AnswerID: 306408

Reply By: Macleod - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:50

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:50
Hi Julie,

I'm with the response above - we use a lot of those Continental and other brands meal flavourings (like casseroles etc) as well as the pasta & rice packets. A good & easy way to enjoy something different on the road - & some go really well in a camp oven.
AnswerID: 306461

Sponsored Links