kluger vs rav4

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 10:46
ThreadID: 58130 Views:10966 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Under stand this is not for me, a mate is thinking about buying a soft roader can any one tell me how either a KLUGER OR A RAV4
handle the sand and mud are they reasonably capable or not.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: png62 - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 11:59

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 11:59
Is he after new or used ? They have both fairly recently had new model releases and the age will impact on it's ability. The latest models have more ground clearance and they have a VAST range - "poverty" pack = no electronic assistance for the "all wheel drive" systems BUT the top of the range have every letter of the alphabet covered with acronyms for driver assist technology.
Size is important but they both have reasonable sand performance, mud is fine too - if you know the stuff isn't deep. Don't forget they will both have ROAD oriented tyres. Approach, ramp-over and departure angles should be compared. Visibity over the bonnet, vulnerability of mud flaps, etc, etc.

We have both vehicles in the family but I will always take my HZJ105 if I know we are leaving dirt roads at all.

Feel free to discuss with me at length because it really can take time to work out what is right for individuals.
AnswerID: 306467

Follow Up By: colj - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 15:17

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 15:17
Thank you very much for your input buying a new vehicle is a costly venture , he is still contemplating Prado as he,s unsure as to how seriouse he wants to go off road , I myself drive a GQ patrol and he wants to go where I go a prado is the best option although a soft roader could do it easy but damage is possible
FollowupID: 572473

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 12:52

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 12:52
Colj Hi

Had a new Kluger for a weekend test recently and we own the Rav4.

Both are fun , but the main problem with both is wheel articulation.

We have set them up and tested carefully and got them both bogged trying to cross a gutter on dirt road by driving across at 45 degrees hence streching the wheel travel to the limits.

Bit of a shocker actually as Kluger had traction control , we could forgive the Rav as it did not.

Immediatly drove same gutter in my patrol with open diffs and not slightest suggestion of wheel slip.

So Kluger is better , but neither is much good when you get off flat roads.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306484

Reply By: Outa Bounds - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 13:01

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 13:01
I was reading the 4wd monthly used 4x4 buyers guide. They did include most of the "soft roader" models in there but generally stated why they don't make good 4x4's (like real four wheel driving - not just all wearther roads etc).

Anyway bit of a summary for you on what they said:

KLUGER
Pluses
*Build Quality
*Resale Value
*Running Costs
Minuses
*Off-road ability
*On road Handling
*Third Row Seats

They reckon the Kluger is somewhere between the soft-roader RAV4 and a on-roader Camry which makes it's rightful place anywhere but off road. Traction control doesn't work properly because stability control cancels it out.

RAV4 Series 1 & 2
Pluses
*Build Quality
*Full-Time 4wd
*Variant range
Minuses
*Off-road ability
*Acceleration (2.0 4door wagon)
* Four Speed Automatic

They say it has short travel suspension (don't all soft roaders!), and no low range gearing, no traction aids (center diff lock, lsd etc) and no underbody protection. They reckon it's great for all weather roads but not for off road with too many corrugations and potholes. They did also say about the only thing it had going for it in common with bigger 4x4s is the full time AWD 50:50 and tailgate mounted rear.

As you can tell being a fourby mag they are pretty against the soft roaders - but they have a point, they aren't suitable for what the bigger cars are, just depends what you plan to use it for . As far as I can tell they are refering to 2003 models or older (used cars after all). If I was to go by their review I'd pick the Rav4.

We have recently brought a Subaru Forester (XS model). Just picked it up yesterday. From what I can see some things it has going for it is AWD (50:50), Low Range, center diff with LSD. Seems to be the better pick of the bunch. So far all I can say is that it's much much more enjoyable to drive compared to the old 80 series. Yes no raw power that we had from the 6.5L chev, but handling and control of the car is superb. So far feels very good on the gravel too (our road is gravel as is the driveway etc).

For the Forester:
Pluses
*Buld Quality
*On-Road Performance (I can vouch for that)
*Features
Minuses
*Dak-dak' engine note (like a VW beetle) - lol I haven't noticed, the road noise from the tires is louder!
*Pricey

They reckon it's good as a dirt road tourer. They don't think the low range was that noticeable compared to high range due to reduction gearing ratio. And once again not enough suspension travel for serious off road stuff (I would agree). Of course not sure how many changes since 2003.
AnswerID: 306487

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 15:23

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 15:23
colj,If your looking for a small capable 4x4 try a Suzuki they are a real 4wd and can go nearly any wear a big 4wd can go.
Cheers Dave.. Image Could Not Be Found
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306520

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:38

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:38
G'day Dave,
Nice rig and I agree with your comments.

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 572579

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 17:08

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 17:08
We are onto our seconf Kluger. Great family car but I would put in the same category as the Subaru outback, only larger. AWD 7 seats and a bit of clearance but more car than 4WD,

I'd steer him towards the Pradoa great all round option.

OT
AnswerID: 306551

Sponsored Links