Lookin at a BJ73, any clues?

Submitted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 18:24
ThreadID: 58146 Views:3624 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Gang

First let me say a warm hello to all, terrific site and forum.

I'm havin a look at an 85 MWB BJ73 3B Diesel with 300K on the clock to buy with the intention of doin a bit of weekend campin and stuff, you know take the boys and their atv bikes out somewhere safe and where we can't disturb abyone.

I've done a little research on this vehicle type and it would certainly fit the bill, but I'm a little worried by the amount of kays travelled on this little 3.4 diesel. Apparently the heads explode at 150k, but the guy whose sellin reckons he's had it since 200k and it hasnt missed a beat and is in real good nick. Is this something I should be wary of? Is there any little tests one can do while viewing? Anything else to look out for?

Any ideas how long such motors last if maintained well?

Noy actually seen it yet, the owner says the only thing wrong with it is a decent rust hole at bottom of windscreeen. Don't see this as a biggie, got a panelbeater who owes me a few favours. At 4.5k the price seems reasonable compared to others of similiar vintage

Many thanks gang, really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

cheers

The Snowgoose
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 18:46

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 18:46
If it's got a turbo make sure it is the turbo motor as the 3.4 turbo had different internals a std motor with a turbo on this 3.4 is bad news. My mates has 400K on the clock and it's never been opened however it does blow a little smoke now. They aren't a real power beast but pretty torquey
AnswerID: 306571

Reply By: snowgoose - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 18:52

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 18:52
Thanks Howsey, no its not a turbo engine, cheers
AnswerID: 306573

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:18

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:18
Hi Snowgoose

We had one one of early ones (purchased second hand). Good dual purpose vehicle (ie family car plus 4wd ability). It was manual (I don't know if they came with auto). We also had the problem with it rusting out under the windscreen - quite expensive to replace, but we had it done when at panel beaters for other work, as he really didn't want to put it back together in such bad condition. It had caught on fire (most likely a wire coming loose in the after market radio), and was heading for doom when passers-by sacrificed their beer to save our car.

I don't recall what kms - but well short of the 300k, it started overheating (the radiator had been repaired and/or replaced a few times). Usual thermostat removal and replacement didn't completely solve the problem. It was loosing a just a bit of water, but no sign of where and pressure test was fine. Mechanic thought it may be a hairline fracture in the head, and added a couple of bottles of that cold-weld stuff and it was fine after that. We eventually traded it in on a new Cruiser ute, which has now done much more than 300 kms in the 12 years since then.

The only real drawback was it was too short to set up for sleeping, so we had to take a tent. The single side doors were a bit of a disadvantage with a family - the kids used to go in and out the window. It would have been awkward to strap a baby in a baby seat.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 306578

Reply By: snowgoose - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:49

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 19:49
Hey Motherhen

Cheers for the advice, most appreciated.

Man it sounds like you had nothin but grief hey? Sorry to hear bout the fire, thats a worry.

Yeah agree that two doors are a pain, but given that its not gonna be a daily runner, it prolly wont be too much of a hassle...I hope. Damn shame about not being able to sleep in back, I had visions of me in the car and the boys in their tents...mmm, may have to conside a troopie.

More worried now about this hole in the windscreen frame, any ideas on cost to repair?

I guess the thing thats attracted me to it is the fuel economy, bulletproof construction and the price. After forkin out cash for a new xr6 for the mrs, my wallet is gettin a bit thin :-(.

I spose for an extra 2k I could get a later model bravo/courier on lpg, but just dont have the extra at the minute, so it may as well be 50k away lol

cheers guys, any other thoughts?
AnswerID: 306584

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:22

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:22
No grief - apart from the fire which wasn't a Toyota fault - that was from the wiring, probably the after market adding of radio where something came loose. It was a darn good vehicle, but when my husband left work in the city (commuting weekly) we needed a ute more than a wagon. It gave us a good run. No idea of cost - but it was expensive at the time to get the whole panel under windscreen replaced - but it was well in excess of 12 years ago. Toyotas do rust badly. Buying a vehicle at more than 300k could be a risk - but it sounds cheap enough so probably worth the risk.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 572577

Reply By: snowgoose - Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:32

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 22:32
Cheers Motherhen, I'm gonna go and hava look tomorrow and report back, thanks or the info.

I see you are in Wickham, how is it? I'm guessing temps are mild up that way at the minute, better than being stuck here in chilly Perth :-(
AnswerID: 306638

Sponsored Links