Roof Lining "Rattling"

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2008 at 07:59
ThreadID: 58167 Views:2506 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
For ages we have had a vibration noise in our 03 GU. It was found to be the interior roof lining and when pushing on it whilst driving it stopped the noise. Has anyone had this out? I suspect it may have had adhesive used which may have let go. As it is moulded and held in place with various screws and plugs I am after information from anyone who has had the same experience? Nissan were not very forthcoming more than likely due to a lack of experience in this particlular area.

any help certainly appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark G (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:09

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:09
madcow,nissan have got your money,why would they be helpful now?been there done that,cheers.
AnswerID: 306686

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:21

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 08:21
I have had pretty good experiences with Nissan ( i own a 4.2 tdi). It may be worth a trip to a wreckers next time i'm in Melbourne just to have a look for myself at how it is held in place.
FollowupID: 572617

Reply By: Cupie - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:22

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:22
G'day ... I have the same problem with my 05 Patrol. The noise (It's a really loud clunk when I go over even a small bump), stopped when I put a Kyak on the roof racks. My temporary fix was to put a piece of foam lagging on the roof rack to just touch the roof.
I like you suspect the glue has let go but short of having the lining removed to fix, I have no solution.
I would love to hear of any do it your self solution.

regards .. Cupie
AnswerID: 306706

Follow Up By: Cupie - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:23

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 09:23
Oops ... that was a 95 Patrol ... sorry Cupie
FollowupID: 572624

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:25

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:25
A mate of mine has a 03 GU and he had the same problem - rattle come knocking noise when going over the slightest bump. It annoyed the c**p out of him for ages as he could not work out where it was coming from. I happened to push on the lining pretty much in the centre of the roof (along with every other panel in the vehicle) whilst we were driving and voila the noise disappeared.

It was fixed under warranty. Unfortunately it was a sizeable job. Nissan had the car for a couple of days. All the roof lining and trim had to be removed to get at it and fix. Exactly what they did to fix it, I am not sure. All is good now though.

Cheers,

Dave
AnswerID: 306734

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:45

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 11:45
I had the same problem on my 03 GU and it disappeared when I removed the middle interior light and fitted a DVD screen. The dvd screen bracket was approximately 10" square and had the effect of supporting the roof lining.

I just sold my patrol and when I removed the DVD screen and the noise returned, I had forgotten all about it until then.

Your kids would love you if the answer to the noise issue was a dvd screen/player for them :)

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 306735

Reply By: madcow - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 12:12

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 12:12
I am fortunate to have access to a optic fibre camera and will remove the interior light and have a look around. I suppose making a "gasket" to go under the interior light might be a simple and effective fix without the rest of the hassles involved. I'll let you know what if anything I find is the issue. Removing the liner looks and probably is a big job.
AnswerID: 306741

Follow Up By: Member QLD Steve & Lorraine Mc - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:16

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:16
Gday Madcow
I had the same problem a while back in our wagon, it was one of the strengthing struts across the roof under the roof lining it looked like the spot weld or that sticky sound deadning crap had let go. I undid a few screws pulled the roof lining down a bit & pushed a small piece of high density foam rubber into the area with a long bladed screwdriver & the problem was solved, I did have few battle scars on the forearms though. Hope this helps!!

Cheers Steve.

FollowupID: 572672

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:35

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 16:35
I ran the camera around the inside of the lining and could not see any definite causes but after removing the interior light and tapping the roof it is certainly where the noise is coming from. I have put some high desnity foam off a roll into the gap you suggest and we will keep an ear out to see if that worked. There was a 5mm gap between the crossbar and roof itself and I would suggest they probably would have put some form of "deadening" material between the 2. We have travelled rome very corrugated roads in the past that may have contributed to it. It was never a major problem but it certainly gave us the sh#&'s sometimes.

Thanks for everyones help
FollowupID: 572676

Reply By: BD - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:34

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:34
Had the same problem from new with a 2006 Patrol, eventually identified the problem to be the roof stiffener just behind the drivers head, had endless trips to Dealer trying to get fixed, kept coming back unresolved even though I actually had shown them a temporary repair that I had done by accessing area through dome light aperture and pushing in hi density foam as per previous post.
Took it back to Dealer for last attempt to rectify properly as we were going up the Canning and I was not confoident that my fix would stay in place.
On arrival was told by Dealer that they had now been advised by Nissan that the problem was exactly what i told them it was and had it rectified, hood lining was dropped and stiffening bow sikaflexed back in place Dealer could then claim on Nissan think that may have been reason for no fix to then. Suspect that my original fix would have sufficed so suggest that you try that.
BMD
AnswerID: 306799

Reply By: BD - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:36

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 18:36
Sorry previous post should have read 04 Patrol.
BMD
AnswerID: 306800

Reply By: Happy GU Owner - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 21:31

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 21:31
Hey Madcow,

I used to have an 03 GU, and they did have a batch that came from the factory minus the correct amount of sikaflex or similar sealer between the roof ribs and the outer roof skin - mine was evident from the first day I drove it out of the showroom. The noise drove me nuts, and I knew it wasn't normal as it wasn't my first Patrol.

Nissan took the car for a day or two, removed the roof lining, and put the sikaflex in - never made a noise since.

You may have one just like mine, although I would have thought that this would have been picked up earlier.

Mic
AnswerID: 306841

Follow Up By: madcow - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:12

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:12
It is now a lot quiter than before but I'll take it to our dealer for assesment. I would rather have a "permanent fix and it is only 7 months out of warranty. (10/03 build). At the very least i now know it is not a one off problem.

cheers
FollowupID: 573156

Sponsored Links