Rant: EPA and “Report litter” program

Submitted: Friday, May 30, 2008 at 15:03
ThreadID: 58180 Views:2113 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I hate when people rubbish our environment. It is completely disgusting drive along nice roads and see curbs rubbished with cans, bottles and plastic. Returning home on Monday I personally seen how empty bottle flied from car and almost hit pedestrian. I been in car alone, yet managed to record numberplate (tell me about what is more dangerous – fetch pen and paper to record number while driving or say to SWMBO “I will be late” on mobile!).
Later that day I have called to them to report. Not that easy! They do not take reports over phone – one suppose fill it on Internet or they can mail form to fill. Ok, will use Internet. Not that simple also! For security reason my computer has very restrictive Internet access and neither active-x, java, flash players and other rubbish supported. And their website stuffed with those “essentially” cr@p extensively. Ok, I decided to download form, fill it and fax it. Still not that simple! Among mandatory information (form will not be processed without filling it) was for example “Nearest cross street”. How hell I know it if it happens in moving traffic? Only one way for me to find it is going to the place and find damn bottle! Besides they require to sign declaration that I willing to go to court if necessarily (actually not near the truth to kill another day).
So I have called them with complain that it getting way too complicated. Lady was not interested to talk to me at all and insisted that their system “working well”. It is very hard to believe considering how much rubbish we have around. BTW penalty for littering is mere $110 or $220 in case of *LIT* butt (that has to be hard proven).
So if you ever going to report to them, do not forget to note down apart of registration also:
Who did it (driver, front passenger, rear left or rear right one)
Sex of offender
State of registration
Car make and model
Body type
Colour
Date
Day
Time
Street
Suburb
Nearest cross street
Malway ref
Direction of travel
Nearest landmark
And do not forget to complete this exercise in 7 days after offence.
Rant is over
Thanks for reading

Serg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 15:34

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 15:34
Good on you Serge for at lest trying to do the right thing. No matter where you pull over to the side of the road there will be litter.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 306761

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Friday, May 30, 2008 at 19:42

Friday, May 30, 2008 at 19:42
Hey Serge, i rang the Police to tell them i think that a certain 4by looks like my body on a different chassis, the copper rang back and asked if i was certain, i don't think he wanted to get out of the station to go about 30 kays max to check it out! Yet all he had to do was ring the police station 30 metres away and ask if one of there officers could walk there to check out said vehicle.

Question: How many police offers does it take to check a reported stolen car?

None to busy doing other things!

Don't get me wrong they have a tough job and its is down right tough, but the poor bastaaard will get a shock when he has a senior sargent asking some very tough question's!!!!!
AnswerID: 306814

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 00:55

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 00:55
Hiya Serg

I never had your issues mate found it quite simple...

Remember one thing mate too is if they contest it you could be hurled into court at some stage..

I hate these people that fling out cigatette butts and there usually still alight...Hopefully by being reported they think about it before the summer comes around...

Cheers
AnswerID: 306872

Sponsored Links