Track from Finke to oodnadatta

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 09:37
ThreadID: 58209 Views:6104 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi We are planning on going to the Finke desert race next week, and are considering travelling on from Finke down to Oodnadatta. Looking at the maps there doesnt seem to be any main route just a series of tracks atht need to be traversed we will be travelling in one vehicle with a track offroad camper, we will have full receovery gear hand wich etc etc but was wondering if anyone has trevelled this route and what their feedback is. is it easy or hard offroad is there lots of sand how easy it the route to navigate etc.
If it looks to difficult we will go out to Kulgera and down to Marla but I would much rather take the route direct to Oodnadatta all help much appreciated.
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 09:46

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 09:46
You seem to be talking about Charlotte Waters , Eringa, Abminga etc - that's the best way to go IMV from Oodna to Finke - quite a lot of interesting spots with some interpretive signage (Eringa for eg) - bit stony in places, but quite straight forward with no reall access issues - just a bit slower overall than the alternative.
AnswerID: 306897

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 09:53

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 09:53
Finke down to oodnadatta os usually pretty rough going. We camped 40km or so east of Kulgera and out next stop was Dalhousie. Road is either corrigated or sandy, bulldust. From memory Mt Dare to the oodnadatta track intersectionwas very slow going...managed 20kph most of the time...

People travel down there all the time so you should be right...

(remember spare fuel and water...)

We had a great time down that track a couple of yrs ago....im jealous Im not going!!
AnswerID: 306900

Reply By: DesF - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:21

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:21
Hi, We do that most years when we go to Finke, coming down , we head out to New Crown, then turn off to Abminga, at Charlotte Waters, no need to go to My Dare, then you come out just before Eringa Waterhole on the Mt Dare road, ( magic camp), then down to Hamilton Stn then on to Oodna, if it has been wet ,it will pay to go around Fogarty's Lagoon , it is only a few K's further but I would hate to be stuck out in the Middle.
The road would be OK for the camper , there are a couple of small creeks that are a bit stony and rough but should be no worries.
If you need any more details you can PM me and I could send you some mileages etc.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 306956

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:09

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:09
We went that exact way three years ago, the day before the Finke race started.We had a few showers on the way out of Alice and there had been heaps of rain out the back of oodnadatta.
The roughest part of the track we came across was from Alice to Finke along the old ghan track.Rough and bull dusty.
Well worth the trip.From Abminga onwards the road was near one huge river.Hard base though(no we never damaged the road)
FollowupID: 572834

Reply By: balko - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:25

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:25
No probs . I have been working at hamilton station so seen most of that area (even seen a 25 year old falcon 2wd with a washing machine on the roof rack last week out there with 6 finke locals driving)the pedrika trail is bumpy if you go via dalhousie springs but with care no probs just dont forget to close the gate. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 306976

Reply By: land_y - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:45

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:45
Many thanks for all the answers and information sounds like we should be fine, but really appreciate all the info, you all stay safe.
Cheers
AnswerID: 306993

Sponsored Links