new rodeo 4x4 lt crew cab 3.0l t/d

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 09:56
ThreadID: 58210 Views:2543 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
was wondering if past & / or previous owners can tell me / give me the pro's & cons of this vehicle. i am considering purchasing one.

i need to tow a 1 tonne trailer with up to five dirt bikes off road with it( max 2tonne of weight). my current t/d patrol is starting to get a bit long in the legs & i need more room (such a tray of vehicle) to store more gear!

any help feedback would be appreciated.

regards
smithy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 12:25

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 12:25
Holden cannot make cars to save themselves,Before Holden lovers arch up,Ive only ever owned Holden's since i started to drive twenty years ago..I'm converted to the Jap way,Now they know how to build cars...
Holden's are only good for up to five years and then the bits fall apart (plastics,interior etc etc)..Engines leak just terrible...Sure Ive said i have borrowed my brother in laws Rodeo and it went well for what was asked of it which was basically dirt roads..He bought it new and has had it for about 3 years now..The central locking is playing up still and a few other issues...

He wanted a Hilux but would not pay there premium price..

Just my opinion

Cheers
AnswerID: 306929

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:10

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:10
Its a bloody Isuzu not a Holden which Holden have now lost them and will be sold in Aus as a Isuzu D-Max and another thing all the 4X4 utes are now built in Thailand including the Hilux
FollowupID: 572800

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:38

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:38
Just going to try a link about the new Isuzu D-Max, no it wont do it so here is what its about fuel efficiency milestone running their new 2.5 CRD and the 3.0 CRD both cover 1501 kilometres from Bankok to KL using less than a tank full of diesel 76 litres. That amount to 5.06 LP100 or 19.75 KPL see it on you tube.

Cheers Bruce

FollowupID: 572807

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:00

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:00
Going to try this link again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bl5UhVXBo0&feature=related

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 572832

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:28

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:28
all the 4X4 utes are now built in Thailand including the Hilux

Yeah thats why mine is one of the last Jap Built ones !
FollowupID: 572848

Reply By: pauls - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 14:31

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 14:31
Smiffy

For what its worth, I have owned one from new for just over 3 years and done about 50K kilometres (about 15% off road). I have had no trouble as yet and am pleased with it.

Reasonable off road performance and much better in sand than the 2.8 llitre which I had previously. The sound insulation is also much better.

I find the seats a little uncomfortable but others find them perfectly OK.

I don't know about pulling 2 tonne as I am very rarely much over about 1 tonne with my trailer, but I suspect that 2 tonne may be hard work for it, but others may have more experience with heavier loads.
AnswerID: 306950

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:10

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:10
My cousin has just bought his this year in March, top of the range turbo diesel dual cab. This is his second one the one before being the 2.8 which he still has. I have driven the new one twice now and to me seems a great vehicle to drive. Plenty of go, heaps quiter then the 2.8, cruise,power windows etc all the gear. No issues on stockton beach, he has pulled a 2.3tonne trailer twice now with it and says it does it no problems. Told him when he sells it in three years time and hasnt been hit/smashed I want him to offer it to me first. Yes it lacks a bit of ground clearance compared to prado but in the end would take me where I want to go and a heap cheaper to run, in my case anyway. I went with him on a trip about 1 month ago, cruising at what ever the speed limit was, 60,80,100 what ever we got fuel figures of 8.2L per 100. and we had a fair load in the back. I wouldnt hesitate in owning one. The engine is a pearler. OK he has only had it a couple of months but so far so good and if its reliability is anything like his 2.8 then he will be happy as and so will I cause I will know where my next 4wd will be coming from LOL. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 306955

Reply By: Member - John D (VIC) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:40

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 15:40
Smifffy, I have had my TD Rodeo from new (3 years), last year took it on a trip from Melbourne to central Aust. across to WA then up through the Pilbara & Kimberley & back home, went well with no problems at all.
2 weeks ago I brought home some redgum firewood from Barham to Melbourne, 1/2 ton in the trailer & 1/2 ton in the tray, very happy with it's overall pulling power.

Regards, John
AnswerID: 306960

Reply By: Member - Peter (1) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:32

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 17:32
G'day Smiffy,

I have had a 2.8 TD Spacecab Rodeo for 15 years now and have been all over Australia, both black top and rough dirt, towing a 16 foot offroad caravan, and guess what? I have been so happy with it, I have just ordered a new 3L TD Dual cab Rodeo.

The only reason for updating is because after 15 years of faithfull service it is now a bit long in the tooth and I want something that will last me at least another 10 years when the Rodeo, the van and myself will be too old to continue doing what I love, travelling around this great country of ours, bush camping, fishing, gold prospecting and generally having a good time.

If you order one now you will get a really good deal as GMH are offering 60th. Anniversary deals on all their range. My Rodeo, the latest TD dual cab LX pickup c/w air cond., auto, cruise control, towing kit, weather shields, bonnet protector, sidesteps and extra spare wheel is costing me just over $40,000 and that includes all on road costs, taxes and 12 months rego. I'm very happy about that.

I will be selling my old one privately, already have a buyer, and use the money from that to trick up the new one with canopy, snorkel, long range fuel tank, rear draw system and overhead console. That should set me up nicely.

Anyway Smiffy, you go ahead and buy what ever you have your heart set on and have a lot of fun.

Regards,

Peter (1)
It doesn't get any better than this!!!
Peter (1)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 306979

Reply By: Best Off Road - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:27

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:27
Smiffy,

Why not have a look at the V6 Petrol. Put it on LPG and it will have heaps more grunt than the oiler and be cheaper to run.

Cheaper to buy as well.

Jim.

AnswerID: 307017

Follow Up By: Pnut (cns) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:12

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:12
Heaps more grunt?
3.6L petrol 313nm torque (2800rpm)
3.0L diesel 360nm torque (1800 rpm)
that's grunt, as opposed to power.
hmmm know what I'd tow with, looking at those facts! (unless u like driving on the V6 powerband above 4000rpm)

Also the guarantee that the next service station on a big trip will have the fuel u want.
FollowupID: 572882

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:30

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:30
Grunt is a combination pf power and torque that propels the vehicle.

The petrol will outperform the diesel. It will rev harder to do it, that is its design.

On LPG (for 90% of the poipulation) it will also be cheaper to run.

FollowupID: 572924

Follow Up By: Pnut (cns) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:17

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:17
Then all the trucks we see should be powered by big petrol motors on gas. They would have more grunt, and be cheaper to run!! You're onto something there LOL!

I never mentioned anything about cost in my post, because it was also not mentioned by the original poster, (who probably wants the low down grunt for towing 2t) but , hey, keep floggin it, just like the other day.....
FollowupID: 573070

Reply By: oz doc - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:36

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:36
Hi Smiffy, we have just bought one- due be delivered next week. However what a palaver it has been getting it. Even though Holden is still advertising the "run out" deal - they can't actually supply the vehicle. We signed up in March this year, for a May build car and June delivery. After 10 weeks and numerous phone calls Holden could not tell us when the car would be delivered and eventually said they could not guarantee we would get a Rodeo- could end up being a Colorado. When we enquired what the difference is between the two- Holden couldn't tell us as it's all restricted info until the release date. Ok - so when is the release date for the new Colorado- Holden couldn't tell us that either! In the end our dealer cancelled the contract and refunded the deposit. We did some phoning around and sourced one in Perth. The Turbo diesel crew cab 4X4 combo seems to be harder to come by than other combinations. If you sign up for one- specify a delivery date so that they can't muck you about.
AnswerID: 307065

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:39

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:39
Or wait for the release of the Isuzu D-Max, which is the same vehicle, which may have a lot more options and better deals than the Colorado, which again is a Isuzu (It may even be sold thru Mitsubishi as they now have staked in Isuzu). I believe it will be next year that Holden source a 4WD vehicle from the States and it will still be called a Colorado. Going to be interesting times I think.
Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 572927

Reply By: Huffy - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:03

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:03
I have just clocked up 13k in my RA07 CRD LX dual cab and could not be happier. Its comfy to ride in, has enough power on tap and is economical ( consistently getting sub 9l/100 on the black stuff). Heaps more comfortable to drive than my previous R51 Pathfinder. They are also very reasonably priced if you get the right dealer
AnswerID: 307209

Reply By: smifffy - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 13:43

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 13:43
gday guys,

thought i'd fallen off the edge of the planet?

i thought so! puter died the other day & had to go buy a new 1. what a drama that was! anyway.....

i really need to thank you all for all your imput!

i have made a decision slightly persuaded by the minister! she has told me to wait for the new truck (Isuzu D-Max). we only know a little about them at this stage but what we do know is music to HER ears!

again guys thanks for all the help, very much appreciated!

cheers,
smithy
AnswerID: 307713

Sponsored Links