Lap Top Computer

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 10:07
ThreadID: 58212 Views:1775 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering purchasing a lap top to keep in touch on our travels .However have no idea what to get or how you pick up reception etc.. Wouldnt want to spend to much.What do you suggest?

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: johnnymc - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 10:14

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 10:14
gmac, if you don't want to spend too much, ( by the time you buy one then get an internet connection..wireless you are looking up around the 2k mark) unless you are using it in conjunction with a gps maybe consider the internet cafe option would be heaps cheaper....just a thought
AnswerID: 306903

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:04

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:04
Depending on what you want, the smaller sizes are perhaps more suited to travellers. You then can also use it for navigation whereas a 15 or 17 in one is too big to mount in the car. However in laptops smaller is dearer.
As for internet nothing is really cheap. I have a USB BIGPOND modem and a $34 a month 10 hour subscription.

Dont even think about a TELSTRA plan
Some are on sale for under $900 but be careful what you buy. Best get someone you know and trust about computers to advise you.
Personally I would only buy an ASUS. COMPAQ or perhaps a Toshiba and none of these are cheap.
Now I will get flamed as I wouldnt buy ACER DELL or HP.
I know there are thousands of happy owners of these out here but thats just my opinion after 10 years of fixing the things.
If you arent really into computers I would go with previous poster and say use internet cafes and use the money for your holiday.
Cheers
AnswerID: 306910

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:41

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:41
I bought a DELL because of their quality components and back-up service, when I get a hassle I simply phone their freecall number and get them to look at the problem "on-line" in real time via the internet, the software problem is then fixed "on-line" or a part is replaced via a technician with-in days, yes, maybe other companies may have this service, I'm not sure.

I would get another DELL with-out any hesitation.

Had a Toshiba 2800 and it was too slow and warranty work was hopeless, with the DELL they come to the camp-site to do any repairs or replacements (yes, they have done it) with a 2 year warranty.

Dell computers can be custom built to your own specifications, so you can use the highest clarity screen with a slow CPU and low memory if that suits you purpose or go for very fast CPU and huge memory cache with average screen clarity, its your money to be spent as you desire.

I believe DELL is the largest manufacturer of computers world wide!

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 572776

Follow Up By: Blaze - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 13:14

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 13:14
Graham you are spot on, with your comment regarding Acer, Dell or HP. Being a Computer retailer I have seen them all and have to admit Acer were one of the best abt 3 years ago, Del were also a good purchase. Unfortunately they all driven by each in a pricing war to make them cheaper.

Mainey rites above that Dell service is good, I cant argue with that but its needed often.

I dont like to say what is best, but its hard to go past Toshiba and Asus. Both who have been amongst the major players over a very long period.

By the way I use HP PDA and have sold quite a few of them with no problems..

Now Ill also duck for cover....
FollowupID: 572786

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:04

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 11:04
gmac,
If it's only to "keep in touch on your travels"... and you "wouldn't want to spend to much" (money) then do as suggested above and use Internet Cafés, as the chance of connection in the 'bush' is about nil, even with the best options available from Telstra and using the fastest 'youbeaut' computer from the best available manufacturers.

However if you want it for "other" reasons ....
like graphics or picture storage etc...., then get a wide screen with the highest resolution available, well at least 1680 x 1050 as MINIUM, but be prepared to pay for the quality of these screens as they are the clearest available, just to dabble on the net they are not required.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 306911

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 12:16

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 12:16
Hiya Gray

It may come as a surprised to you but Compaq is HP they merged awhile back...

HP only paid about 25 Billion for Compaq-A steal don't you reckon !

Still both useless as one another when it comes to Warranty..

Cheers
AnswerID: 306927

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 16:10

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 16:10
I know that but Compaq are a bit better than the HP in that they dont use as many custom built parts. HP are terrible for that as are Dell. Their boards and bits and pieces are only suitable for the particular model.
I can remember having to fix a series of HP desktops a few years ago that had dodgy power supplies.
A generic power supply was $80 A HP specific to fit the model was $329. Go figure.
I actually have a Compaq laptop and unlike Dell owners I have never had to ring for support or parts LOL.

At one time Compaq was the biggest seller of computers in the world. One of the reasons was that you couldnt upgrade the things so you had to buy a new one.
I only bought mine cos my faithful old desktop had died and I needed a lappy and got a very good price on this one or I would have bought an ASUS.
My daughter works for a company selling to schools and corporate buyers and gave me the info based on user complaints and returns over a 3 year period. Knowing her as I do I would take what she said as fairly accurate.
Everyone to their own this is just my personal experience and opinion
FollowupID: 572813

Reply By: HGMonaro - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 16:41

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 16:41
Big W have Lenovo's on sale for $598 fairly often. You could get a Acer for about the same. I took a Lenovo on our trip and it was/has been 100% reliable. I run Photoshop on it and athlough it's no rocketship, it does the job so it will handle internet browsing, email, spreadsheets and wordprocessing easily.

For reception, you can use your phone or one of the wireless dongles, both can be expensive ($30-$40/month). Both need reception to actually connect.

Alternatively, you can use van park ISPs when available (anywhere from free to a few dollars/hr) and internet hotspots (where available). We relied on this method and did have some troubles getting online at times. I was doing my trip website offline and them uploading when possible.

Nige.
AnswerID: 306969

Reply By: gmac - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:30

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:30
People,

Thank you for your information.It looks like the Cafes are the way to go and perhaps spend the money on fuel and go a bit further.

Regards
AnswerID: 306987

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:31

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 18:31
Blaze, no need to duck too far, as you don't sell Dell.

I've had my Dell notebook looked at by a technician 3 times, first cause I did not like the look of the 'silvery haze effect' on the top left corner on the desktop in MCE, the Dell techie showed me ALL MCE's have it as an 'effect' and it's not a fault, another time one techie replaced the keyboard because I complained about the 'feel' as they are different to the old Toshiba I was used to, I thought it may be a fault, it was the same as most I later checked at a comp store in town, and third they picked it up and fully reformatted the hard drive on it for me and reloaded ALL the programs again.

Then last week I rang them about a hassle I had with loading some programs from the 'desktop icon' they changed some software settings via the internet and then it worked perfect again.

I believe the major advantage in buying Dell is the ability to order the RAM, CPU, Hard drive size and screen clarity etc.... as the customer wants, for the purpose needed, when you order Dell, unlike an average notebook where you have to accept the notebook as it is on the shelf, unless the retailer is actually prepared to change the notebook screens etc.. which will never happen!

I have never had a breakdown, it's 14 months old now with another 10 months of warranty left.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 306988

Reply By: Rossco td105 - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 02:56

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 02:56
G'day gmac,

I am by no ways or means a computer literate person.

We faced the same issue as you over a year ago, and found a cheap Compaq F500 from a big retailer. Couldn't get some of the GPS software to work, was a hassle to configure at some internet caffee's, so changed operating system back to XP from (problematic)Vista.

Has been the family daily laptop since... I am using on the home network at the moment, seems reliable and took abuse over extended Simpson trip, and played our DVD movies as well!

Regards,

Ross.
AnswerID: 307043

Reply By: PajeroTD - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:48

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:48
I love my Macbook Pro!
AnswerID: 307343

Sponsored Links