Fraser Island

Submitted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:12
ThreadID: 58236 Views:2743 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
What are the must sees, what are the best camp spots and is 6 days enough? Also, best fishing spot for total amateurs? Are the dingoes really an issue (taking 8 year-old)?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: motor_head - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:50

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:50
Hi Dojo, lake Mckenzie is a must, my favourite camp is central station but like most (or all ) desinated camps is useless if you have a camper trailer, as for fishing try indian head or waddy point or any gutter on any beach.
AnswerID: 307022

Follow Up By: motor_head - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:52

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 21:52
and yes.....the dingo's are an issue but not as many there these day's.
FollowupID: 572879

Reply By: chisel - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:02

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:02
Lake Mackenzie, Champagne Pools, Lake Wabby, Indian head, Eli creek, Central Station - must sees.
Best camp spots - any beach camping area usually holds some great spots - that assumes you are self-sufficient and want to camp away from the designated grounds. Take your time to find a nice spot.
Best fishing - any gutter on the eastern beach. Just watch for a few people fishing.
AnswerID: 307024

Follow Up By: chisel - Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:03

Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 22:03
And yes I would say 6 days is enough. Dingoes shouldn't be a problem - just treat them with caution.
FollowupID: 572880

Reply By: zha zha cruiser - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:39

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 08:39
Best Camp Spots....Depends if you wanna be close by shops, water, rubbish dumps and ice etc. I prefer a spot thats about 2 klm nth of Eli Creek, for the above reasons. Its about 2 klm sth of the maheno wreck. Takes about 10 mins drive to happy Valley, where you can fuel up, grab some icecreams for the kids and get ice for the drinks or esky.

Dingo's are around, and when I have camped down Eurong way, they seemed to be in bigger numbers. The rangers will talk to your 8 year old, and you will need to make sure you dont leave your rubbish lying around as that attracts them, especially at night, and early in the mornings.

My son was scared of the dingoes, at eight, which was good in a way, as he never ran out of eye sight.

I think 6 days is long enough. I prefer around 4 nights, thats about the limit without a hot shower. But, you can wash at Eli Creek.

best fishing is available up past the store at Orchard beach, and Lake Mackenzie is a lovely must see area to visit. Give yourself a break from the sand and camp cooking by a drive over to Kingfisher bay resort.Champagne pools, Waddy Point, a climb up Indian Head, and the cathederals.

AnswerID: 307055

Reply By: Brian - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:17

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:17
Don't forget the other lakes....
Boomanjin, Birrabeen, Garrawongera, Allom, Ocean Lake etc etc.... they're all beautiful. Wathumba Creek is a long drive but well worth the visit!
As far as the dingoes are concerned, read the kit that comes with your permit, listen to the rangers and take their advice! We have always done what the info kits/rangers say and have never been bothered by dingos.

Cheers

Brian (Gold Coast)
AnswerID: 307060

Reply By: Louie the fly - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 12:03

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 12:03
For me - Poyungan Valley is the most spectacular because of it varying landsscapes. Lake McKenzie is great for the kids to swim and you will see some of the hottest backpacker chicks in the world there.Lake Birrabeen is great also.
AnswerID: 307085

Follow Up By: zha zha cruiser - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:24

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 13:24
I saw 4 backpackers at Lake mackenzie completly strip off their clothes to put their togs on one time....in front of everyone. The beach was packed with families picknicking. I managed to sneak in a couple of quick photos of the blokes ...
FollowupID: 572958

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:42

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:42
just got back from a 4 day trip there last weekend, and will be back for a 2 week stay later this year.
as said lake makensie is very nice but does get really crowded in school holidays (ie: flat out even getting a carpark there). lake birrabean is just as nice in my opinion and chances are you'll have the place to yourself or only sharing it with a just a few others. lake allom is a must for young kids with all of it's turtles, trust me you'll love it. elie creek is nice, but not what it used to 5 years ago when it flowed north up the beach for almost a kilometer. central station is a definate and so is the climb up indian head, should be starting to spot whales up there real soon. the sand blow up at sandy cape is one of the nicest areas but with another low just hitting might make a trip to lighthouse doubtful. wathumba is also worth a trip over to, takes about 45 mins. to get there from orchid beach, good safe swimming for a youngster.
we go every year for 2 weeks and camp on the beach with young kids, ours since 6 months old and this year we'll have an 8 month old and 5 year old. dingos have never been a problem because our friends and ourselves do this radical thing called supervising our kids. don't let your kid out of your site and you won't have a problem, dingos are wild dogs so treat them like that.
as for fishing beware that up around indian head there is an area closed to fishing for a certain period of the year, someone on here is sure to know the time off of the top of their head. other then that just look for a decent guuter anywhere along the beach.
camp spots depends on if you want showers and toilets or just anywhere along the beach. if it's showers and toilets you want then dundaburra would make for a fairly central place to locate yourself, as for beach, we usually stay somewhere roughly around where the cathedral shops are.

6 DAYS WON'T BE LONG ENOUGH!!!

we found that you basically loose 2 days setting up and pulling down camp (allowing for tides and including travel) so if you can get somemore time to spend there then do so, you won't run out of things to do there. realistically you need about 2 weeks to see the island and allow alittle bit of relaxation time, but if 6 days is all you have then it will wet your appetite for another visit.
AnswerID: 307117

Follow Up By: chisel - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:37

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 12:37
1st of August to 30th September the area from just south of Indian Head to just north of Waddy Point is closed to all fishing.
Plenty of other places to fish.
FollowupID: 573188

Reply By: rumpig - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:43

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:43
here's a couple of pics from lake allom, all those dark dots in the water are what's in the second picture.

AnswerID: 307300

Reply By: gvn - Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 14:08

Thursday, Jun 12, 2008 at 14:08
Imagine you're going to London, is 6 days long enough? You'll spend 20 hours getting there/setting up. But unlike London I guess you can go back every year if you decide to, and it's not as expensive. (? or is it? lol) I've been to fraser in winter for a short trip, it's always magical, even if you can't swim.
It can be a 2+ hour drive if you're heading up to orchid beach or beyond. We always camped near Eurong, think about what day trips you plan on doing. If you are too far north the lakes will be a looong day.
Re: dingoes, be alert and remember they aren't dogs as we know it. Stay away from them, don't feed or try to befriend them. Same for goannas. The last thing you want is a goanna in your tent!
I don't think Kingfisher is worth the trip over. unless you want to see mangroves and get eaten by sandflies.
Fishing is good everywhere. Winter is tailor season? isn't there some huge comp each winter up near Orchid beach?
AnswerID: 309486

Sponsored Links