Advice needed re fuel Birsville to Oodnadatta

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:26
ThreadID: 58257 Views:2225 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Travelling in a Rodeo twin cab with trayon on the back..how much fuel will be need for this part of the trip! 618 km if I am correct. Also so many different opinions on how much to let your tyres down?
Thanks in adsvance, Nettie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:51

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 14:51
You don't disclose if we are talking petrol/diesel.

Also is the intended route across the Simpson or down around Lake Eyre.

Alan
AnswerID: 307118

Reply By: Nettie - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 15:25

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 15:25
Sorry..diesel. Across the Simpson. Day one... Birdsville to Poeppel Corner. Day two...camp in desert somewhere! Day three...Camp near Dalhousie Springs. Then on to Oodnadatta.
Nettie
AnswerID: 307124

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:36

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:36
Hi have a look in Treks Simson Desert on this site a lot of info on fuel usage, what others have used on thier trips.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 573046

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 20:00

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 20:00
Nettie,
I reckon you're gunna be doing some serious travelling to get across in such a short time. We're doing this trip in about 5 weeks time (it'll be our 2nd crossing). The 1st time we did it a couple of years ago, we only took 4 days (3 nights camped in the Simpson) and that was too rushed.

Have you selected a route to take yet? Our 1st trip was straight across (Birdsville to Poeppel's Corner, then along the French Line to Purni Bore etc). That is the route that includes the fabled 1100 sand dunes and although it is the shortest way to cross, it is (apparently) not the most interesting. Because of this we will be going to Poeppel's Corner, then heading south, then west/northwest across the Rig Road. The Rig Road is a more "formed" road/track as it is the method used years ago to get the drilling rigs into the desert and has a clay base.

According to the Trek Notes (found elsewhere on Exploroz), you will need about 91 litres for a 4 cylinder diesel. I prefer to overdo this sort of thing and take up to double the recommended amount just to be sure.

Please reconsider the amount of time you will take to cross......you will be disappoointed if you rush too much. The average speed you will be able to attain will not be much more than 20klm/hour.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 573772

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:55

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:55
Nettie actual fuel usage will vary for a 4 cylinder between 85 & 120 litres depending on sand conditions, speed travelled & if there has been any local rain gathering in the salt lakes & clay pans. The real distance travelled on 2 of our trips was just under 650km. The additional weight of the Trayon may mean slightly higher consumption. Of course spare fuel in case of unforeseen circumstances must be carried particually if the Eyre creek is running which may require a detour of 70 odd KMs.
Tyre pressures vary depending on the sand, weight carried & tyre size so yes you will get varying opinions but the general consensus is to start around 18 psi & drop to 15 if the going is difficult. Avoid the habit of driving at road pressure then only letting them down only when stuck.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 307169

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:07

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 17:07
My Troopy used 96 lt between Birdsvill and Mt Dare.

AnswerID: 307906

Sponsored Links