Driving Light Adjustment

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 16:11
ThreadID: 58263 Views:7633 Replies:9 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, is there any special way people line up there driving lights or just take out onto dark road and set and lock tight. Is there any legal requirments ?? I thought of measuring from the ground up to middle of driving lights and then doing the same on the back of garage door and do it that way ?? Same with distance apart ?? The old lux with the ipf's I did the dark road set up, but with the lightforce as both are spott they seem to very direct,(slightest movement and there up in the tree's LOL). I have ordered a set of spread beam covers as well. Presuming once they are set while as a spotlight should be ok with the spred beam covers on.Regards Steve Ma
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:17

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:17
I just take a few towels or windcheaters to a dark road and cover the headlights and set the drivers up one by one, works every time and u can see exactly where they point, key is to only work one at a time.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 307149

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:20

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:20
Bonz....you beat me by THAT much..... hahaha
FollowupID: 572991

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:25

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:25
ahh cest la vie Roachie, trust you made it home in one piece unlike myself

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 572995

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:10

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:10
Thanks Bonz, Roachie, Never thought of covering all the lights and doing one at a time with out the normal headlights/highbeam making it harder to see exactly where the spotties are lighting up. Bonz, what happened ?? No breakdowns I hope.??Thankyou gentleman, have a great night. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 573019

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 22:35

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 22:35
Hmm Stephen the back wheel fell off the car I was driving never found the wheel......

One at a time is the go mate

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573118

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:19

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 17:19
The garage door idea will get you reasonably close, but you only have to be out by a p00fteenth and the beam could be meters out by the time it gets 500 meters down the road.

What I do is find a stretch of lonely, straight dirt track (luckily I live in a country town and there are hundreds of such tracks around the place). I take a few bits of old towel or blanket and cover up all bar the one light I'm about to adjust. Get that one just how you want it and then do the other/next one.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 307150

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:30
Once you get them set up, go back home and mark the lights position/beam on the garage door.Then you can check your lights easily in future.
AnswerID: 307178

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:09

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:09
Brilliant idea Nick, will do that. Thankyou. regards Steve M
FollowupID: 573062

Reply By: Scrubcat - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:31

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 18:31
G`day Steve,
Yep, as all others have said but will add,,, try and pick a night with a little bit of fog and you can see the actual beam of the light.
ALSO be aware that it is possible to have a fire????
This particular ex Fireman (ME) did all of the above suggestions using an old pair of overalls to cover one of the spotties , all done just dandy , on the way home a strong smell of burning rag filled the cab, sh#t, stuff on the back parcel rack in the ute including the overalls was just getting going.
Regards.
Scrubcat.
AnswerID: 307179

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:10

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:10
Thanks scrubcat, will remember that good point. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 573063

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:41

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 19:41
Hi Stephan M, did you know that you can take the 4by to the RAA or your road mob and get them to do it for a small fee if you are a member.
AnswerID: 307199

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:12

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 20:12
Hi Shane, no I didnt know that. I am a member, but will try the rags trick first and if still not happy with adjustment then will go down that track. thankyou. Regards steve M
FollowupID: 573065

Reply By: Rognet - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 21:27

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 21:27
Hello Steve

Well many years ago someone explained to me that driving lights should be set-up with a slight crossover at the extent of the beam. This was to minimise shadowing. I have always set up my driving lights to cross paths and focus the right light just of to the left and the left light just of the the right on the edges of the road as far forward as you can giving the best illumination possible. This depends on the beam width and illumination. Clear as mud?
(This crossover can also assists illumination through corners!)

Rog & Net
AnswerID: 307239

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 21:42

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 21:42
Hi Rog, yes I have heard of this before, but would that have some thing to do with the spread beam now availlable where as years ago (no offence meant) most spotties were exactly that, spotties so were more for seeing virtually straight ahead with out any side spread to light up the side of the road ??? I have the lightforce which has interchangable covers with can go from either both to spead or individualy. I have ordered a set of spread covers but think I will apply one to passengers side only leaving the drivers side as a straight spot. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 573109

Follow Up By: Rognet - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 08:11

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 08:11
Steve

I use two spot beams to get the best distance. I cross them over to cover each side of the road as far ahead as possible. The main reason for this is that I usually drive flat out to get to where we are going from about 4am in the mornings to mid afternoon when traveling to NT or FNQ each year. I tow a large boat and need all the stopping time I can get. I have found this setup gives the best results.

Rog
FollowupID: 573682

Reply By: blown4by - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 23:45

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 23:45
Just be aware that if you leave the Lightforce lamps covered for too long (which is not long) you will melt the Lexane lenses. I know I have done it:-( When you have them covered the heat cannot escape. Also when you set them up one at a time gradually raise the beam until it just leaves the road surface then just go back down slightly. The vehicle will raise slightly at the front when travelling so you need to allow for that. Also the pencil beam is so wide you can have the left one just illuminating a bit of the verge and the right one the same and with both on together you can see all the way up the road and any road kill that may be on a suicide mission. When you set them up drive up the road and hit the brakes. When the nose dives if you can see further then you have them adjusted too high. I dont believe you need a spread as the two pencils gives enough spread unless you are driving in windy roads all the time. There are no legal requirements other than you dip your lights when another vehicle is approaching. I always dip mine when I can see the glow of oncoming lights so you dont dazzle the other guy. You need to be respopnsible and alert with powerful lights and a good idea is to get someone to drive you car up the road about a K and get them to turn around and come back toward you standing at the roadside with all lamps on hi beam and you will see one wopping great mass of light. That is what the other guys sees when he comes towards you so you will apprciate by doing this you need to dip them whenever someones tail lamps are in view (no matter how far away they are) and as soon as you see the glow of the headlamps (unless of course they are out of view for some time) Also dont forget truckies see the lights before you see theirs because they are sitting much higher above the road surface. Personally I have never tried "crossing" the beams and dont really see the point of doing this._
AnswerID: 307275

Follow Up By: blown4by - Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 23:47

Sunday, Jun 01, 2008 at 23:47
Forgot to add the garage door thing is pretty useless because you are too close to the door to see if the lights are correctly adjusted or not. There is only one way as usual. The hard way.
FollowupID: 573144

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:42

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:42
Thanks blown4by, I might actually disconect one of them while doing the other then reverse the procedure that way not causing any heat to build up. Not sure about the spread yet but have ordered them anyway only intend using one on the passengers side. Thanks for the tips much appreciated.
FollowupID: 573220

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:49

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:49
Stephen,
Regarding your lenses are you going to run 2 spreads?
I am running a spot on the driver side for distance and a spread on the kerb side to help find lurking wildlife. This is the way I understood it was supposed to be setup for country night driving.

I use the blue covers which seems to give a closer to daylight feel.

I am glad you raised this question because I have never really adjusted them successfully. I was either spotting possums or melting tar 20m ahead of me...LOL. Picked up a tip or 2 from this post.
AnswerID: 307303

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:51
Hi Wayne, I have ordered the spread beam covers and only intend running one of them on the passengers side, bit of a trial an error thing with these. I had IPF's before one spread one spot but thought this time liked the idea of being able to change the covers to suit so went for the lightforce, and must admit they seem a sh@t load brighter then the IPF's were, but to be fair the IPF's were fairly old and the spread one had a crack through the middle of it thats why I lef them on the hilux,use to fill up with water which no doubt left dirt behind. My mate Andrew has lightforce on his prado but they are the 240's so obviously the spread covers dont suit my'n so couldnt try them out before ordering them. Havnt really looked into the blue covers, not really sure what they are meant to do ?? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 573221

Reply By: rredbeak - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 13:21
nose your car up to a wall [bout a meter away],turn your lights on high beam.DONT cover your headlights,and then raise or lower the spotties so theyre at the same height as your high beam on the wall.and,central between your high beams. this can be done day or night but night is better. Then take them for a drive to be sure theyre right. Takes only a few minutes and is dead easy to adjust.

happy touring.. Rod
AnswerID: 307510

Sponsored Links