Best small 3-way fridge?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 13:51
ThreadID: 58292 Views:2645 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm doing up an old caravan & was going to replace the existing antique fridge (RM-4601?) with a new 3-way one. I was all set to buy the Dometic RM-2453 120 litre (which is the smallest T-rated one they make), but have discovered it is too wide to get in the caravan doorway which is only 573mm wide (RM-2453 needs 632mm).

Any suggestions for what is a good smaller 3-way fridge (must be able to run on gas as van is solar/bty system & not geared for the power demands of a 12v fridge)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:25

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:25
Drew, when we bought an old wind-up van, the 3 way fridge was beyond repair. We purchased an upright Engel 12/240 - but not sure of sizing now - it was a fairly standard caravan fridge, and we just got it in the small doorway. It fitted right in where the old one was, with very little adaptation needed to make it look neat and to seal the dust out (which the rest of the van didn't anyway) We also bought one 80 w solar panel, battery and digital monitor. Just putting the panel out when we stopped, and facing east ready for the dawn, it kept the fridge going as well as a couple of lights. Efficient and so easy to use with the solar panel.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 307330

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:50

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:50
thanks Motherhen but I really do need to be able to run on gas as the van will not be connected to the car & i don't have 240v available either. I'm actually leaning towards a dometic RM-2350 which is small enough to fit in the doorway (but isn't t-rated unfortunately)
FollowupID: 573196

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:57

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:57
Hi Drew

We did have trickle feed from the vehicle - but it didn't make much difference - then we'd stop and put the solar panel out late in the afternoon and the charge came right up. If stopping for a whole day, we'd just put the panel up on theroof of the van and it would fully charge the battery. The same old panel is now on the roof of the F250, and it keeps the deep cycle battery fully charged running an Engel and reading lights, even in dull weather. May not suit your arrangement, but i love solar.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 573204

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:47

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:47
Drew,
That's lesson 1 in rebuilding caravans, all the internal fittings are fitted before the framing is completed.
It may be possible to either unscrew screws or drill out pop rivets and remove the door frame to get yourself a bit more room to move. Having done it for a mate who had the same problem (stuffed frig), it is not hard but is bloody fiddlly and decidedly messy when re sealing round the door frame.

Hope this helps.

Disco.

AnswerID: 307342

Sponsored Links