Missing Bushwalker Warren Meyer

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:19
ThreadID: 58294 Views:6411 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have been reading the various theories on missing bushwalker Warren Meyer who vanished in The Mt Dom Dom saddle area. Extensive searches have not revealed his body nor belongings , he was equipped with GPS , Mapping and Phone etc etc. Police believe the maps he was using were not accurate or up to date with old and newer tracks etc and because of the forest density the GPS may not have been working.

I find it difficult to understand why they haven't located his body, perhaps it was moved.? (Assuming accidental shooting, or foul play). If he had a heart attack surely they would have found him on one of the tracks.? Also wondering how big is the issue of GPS devices becoming ineffective in this envirorment when they are most needed, I haven't used mine in a thick forest enviroment, are there any tricks to getting a signal.?

Anyone got any theories or beliefs on his dissappearance, it would be very difficult for his family and friends without some form of closure.?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:19

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:19
Hiya TerraFirma

It makes you feel like going for a looksee yourself doesnt it....Not that search and rescue/police didnt try hard...

It only takes missing the body by 1 metre,cuddled up because he is cold and thats it....

Tree canopy coverage will stop your GPS dead....Simple as that...Even if you hav a small clearing,It depends where the sat is too at the time...

Cheers

Oh

*Anyone got any theories or beliefs on his dissappearance*

Theres always plenty of speculates lol
AnswerID: 307350

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:21

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:21
no idea about your last paragraph but regarding the GPS. I've used mine under cover and it can drop out and won't get a signal again until it gets a decent look at the sky. Add some cloud into the equation and there's less chance. You can walk somewhere so it can get a lock, but that's not going to help you if your incapacitated for some reason (fell over and broke your leg, etc). Guess it's the reason most people using GPSs as navigation recommend a compass and maps (and a knowledge of how to read them) as backup.

Nige.
AnswerID: 307351

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:11

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:11
"Add some cloud into the equation and there's less chance"

Correction - Cloud has no effect on GPS signal.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 573218

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:08

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:08
Rain on trees does though. My old etrex is hopless under wet dripping trees.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 573222

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:26

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 18:26
I'd recommend the map & compass as the primary source of navigation & the GPS as the backup. Not sure how anyone can put their life in the hands of 4 AA batteries not that this was the problem in this particular case.
Cheers Craig...............
FollowupID: 573223

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:10

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:10
Greg
Geez that was close , you made that correction ...just in time.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573290

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:31

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:31
? Lost me Doug - just in time for what?
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573311

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:42

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:42
Greg
OK mate, it's early in the morning, I realise now you copied his statement ....lol

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573315

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:51

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:51
? Still no idea what you're on about, but I assume, in the picture above, that you represent the devil in disguise.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573319

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 09:46
Greg
Geez....do I have to explain in detail , didn't you have breaky today,
you posted ("Add some cloud into the equation and there's less chance" ) of which you copied and pasted from someone elses reply, then you typed (Correction - Cloud has no effect on GPS signal) so when I first read it I thought it was your own reply, on 1st read It went over the top, on 2nd read it hit me between the eyes and I got what you were on about , SO the cartoon depicts me kneeling asking you for forgiveness, and no need to pat my head like that either.
DO YOU GET IT NOW ...probably not .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573322

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 13:40
By Jingoes, By crikey - now I get it. I will try and be more clear in my posts in future so you dont get confused and then confuse me in the process.
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 573344

Reply By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 17:51
I spend quite a bit of time in the Vic forests and use my GPS regularly, it's an aged Garmin 12XL and has the original Rockwell chip set (8 channel iirc). Heavy tree cover can be a problem but it has never stopped me getting a signal - just takes a bit longer. Find out where you are and the bearing you need to follow back to camp them use a compass checking with the GPS occasionally.

It's easy to become confused in terrain without reference points in the distance and one may be tempted to "follow our instincts" and take a direction contrary to the compass/GPS which can be a dangerous thing to do - deserts are bad for this - even people experienced in these areas of navigation can fall prey.

As for finding a body; in most of our dense forests unless it were on/close to a track - very difficult, and if he had snuggled up in the base of a tree, or similar, to keep out of the weather almost impossible.

Like you, TerraFirma, I do feel for the family - a loved one gone with no explanation, very hard to cope with.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 307357

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:53

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:53
You need to take a walk in the area around Dom Dom and the Black Spur to understand how thick the bush can be in some areas.

I spent a lot of time in that country and it doesn't take much to get disoriented if you left the track, or mistakenly followed an old map.

If he wandered off more than 250m, the chances of finding the body would be minuscule (given the search area).

Regards

Kim

l
AnswerID: 307382

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:56

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:56
This was sent to me by a mate that used to work in the area.

Thick bush and bad tracks.

AnswerID: 307383

Reply By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:28

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:28
Hi Terra

Even my new srf111 chipset gps loses signal up there , and I never yet plotted a continuous track over the Black Spur. Hills are steep and lots of wet trees and fog.

I have been in a least 3 situations where people have got lost within 2-300m and loose the ability to think rationally.

Their have also ben cases where someone has been lost forever in a known 700m wide area (thinking of boy at top of Wilson Prom here) .

So I would think it perfectly possible that the most likely just happened.
I.E. He got off track , and got dissabled for some reason , and just ran out of time in the end.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 307460

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:46

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:46
if u use an external antenna the dropouts stop in my experience
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 573335

Sponsored Links