Weight Distribution Hitch - do I need one?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:41
ThreadID: 58295 Views:10271 Replies:15 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering if I need (or would benefit from) a weight distribution hitch. I drive a 4wd Terracan diesel towing a 16ft Jayco Freedom Pop Top single axle van. The rig is reasonably level when hitched.
I have done a couple of trips from Melb. to Qld. on the blacktop without any problems.
I intend to travel to Darwin and am concerned about the effect of road trains or similar large vehicles overtaking etc.
I have read material obtained from Hayman-Reece at the Caravan show but would love to hear from unbiased users or non- users re any benefits or otherwise of a W.D.H
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:54

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 14:54
Sounds like you need a stabilizing hitch (if there is such a thing) rather than a weight distribution hitch.
AnswerID: 307331

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:12

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:12
Even though our dual axled caravan is very stable, we took it a short way, on a good bitumen road, without putting the WDH bars on a few days ago, and we could really feel it - slight up and down movement. With the bars on, you don't feel it there. I can't say if it helps with stability from air drag - but it is recognised as safety feature that caravanners shouldn't travel without (except on roads with extreme dips and crests where travel is very slow anyway).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 307334

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:31

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:31
Fit a WDH which will also afford you some degree of stabilisation. Cheap insurance. So far you haven't experienced any problems. What wait until something goes wrong and end in disaster - for you or someone else.

There is no acceptable compromise regarding safety.

If you are seeking reassurance and/or justification re caravan safety and stability, I suggest you have a read of the accompanying Coronial Report Link Good luck with your travels.
AnswerID: 307338

Reply By: On Patrol - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:41

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:41
Anti Sway hitch

Image Could Not Be Found

Have a look at this coupling, I have used the earlier version (2000) and found it worked well in the area you mention Terry

It works like a vice grip on the tow ball with friction pads gripping the ball acting like a shock absorber on the hitch.
AnswerID: 307341

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:50

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 15:50
When towing my caravan, I wouldn't leave home without one.
Toolman
AnswerID: 307345

Follow Up By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:09

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:09
I'm with you Toolman wouldn't leave home without it.
Cheers
FollowupID: 573208

Reply By: Best Off Road - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:46

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 16:46
Terry,

As luck would have it, up until 6 months ago we owned a Jerry Can and a 16' Freedom.

Towed it without a WDH with mixed success. The Old Man insisted on loaning us his WDH. The difference is amazing. I tend to get along at a fair old lickety split and it used to get the sways up in corners and windy conditions. This disappeared with the WDH.

It is my opinion that carvans should be illegal to tow without one, they make things so much safer.

You could also have a look at www.terracan.australia4wd.com for opinions from Jerry owners.

Jim.

AnswerID: 307354

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:16

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:16
If everything is to specs plus a bit of margin you don't need one.
Weight distibution is used to increase the possible load on a towbar (withing specs of course).

If the towing behaviour changes with a weight distribution then something else is out of wack. tires too soft, springs too soft or car or trailer overloaded, shocks not up to the task etc etc ..

A weight distribution assembly can compensate to a certain degree for other shortcomings but does bot "solve" the problem.

this is the towbar I use

http://www.torklift.com/p.php?w_page=superhitch

and at the end the shockerhitch

http://www.shockerhitch.com/

I tow a 4.5T boat trailer and there was no difference with or without weight distribution in driving behaviour. The weight distribution would only increase the tow bar rating (see link if you are interested). My tow vehicle however is a 5.2t truck and in most cases of towing problems the vehicles are not up to scratch. Adding airbags in the towing vehicle is a better solution in many cases.

When a trailer has a sway problem then mostly it is too heavy for the springs, does not have shocks or is unevenly loaded or all of the above.

have fun
gmd

AnswerID: 307360

Reply By: Rock Ape - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:38

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:38
Mate, if you are going to the Territory you will have no problems, if you stick to major roads as they have some of the best in Aussie.

I would not be concerned at all as you have tried out your combination and it has no problems.

Many years ago in a land far far away, I towed an 18foot Viscount from St George to Brissy with a FC holden/ 2 blown pistons and FA brakes. Made it down the Toowoomba range in 1 piece.

No weight distributing hitch, don't even know if they had them then
AnswerID: 307364

Reply By: Dunaruna - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:57

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 19:57
I'm guessing your ball weight is in the vicinity of 140/150, a WDH will definitely enhance an already sweet ride.

If the hell storm following an overtaking roadtrain is your concern, you will need a sway control. You can get a stand alone friction sway control or a sway control that is incorporated in the WDH.
AnswerID: 307369

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:14

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:14
Hi Terry Cann,

I have been towing all sorts of trailers since the mid 60s
and we bought our first caravan in 1973. It weighed just under the ton (a ton and a tonne are near enough to equal for our purposes).

This van came with a distribution hitch set up so I wasnt going to knock it back. Even with such a light van, from the moment I had gone 1 mile I was sold on that WDH.

I would not tow anything over about 750kg without one while it was available. Do yourself the greatest favour you will ever do yourself and your family and get one and always use it.

You will not be sorry.

Regards,
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 307373

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:34

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:34
I should add that if your rig is fairly level once hooked up then put the WDH on and load your van slightly front heavy to compensate. It is always good to know what your ball weight is.
I used the cattle scales to do mine.

You can buy a jack with a pressure guage on it which is calibrated to kilos for weighing the drawbar weight or for about $20 you can do it at a weigh bridge.

Regards,
Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 573236

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:33

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 20:33
Two links here that might be of interest to you ,

Weight Distribution Hitches

HEAVY VEHICLE ROAD COURTESY

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 307376

Follow Up By: Terry Cann - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 15:02

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 15:02
Thanks Doug. I found both links were very helpful. I have also bookmarked the web page for future browsing.
FollowupID: 573545

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 21:55

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 21:55
Read what an industry person has to say on the subject.

Site Link

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 307400

Follow Up By: Terry Cann - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 14:49

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 14:49
Thank you very much Peter, your site link contains exactly the information that I was looking for.
FollowupID: 573544

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 22:16

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 22:16
I,ve been towing trailers ,a van and a boat aroud Australia and up and down the east coast for years never needed a towing aid because the vehicle was set up correctley to start with.Keep 60% of the weight in front of the axel and the van won't want to sway or wander stick to the legal speed limit so you don"t hold up miles of traffic like some ignorant people do which only creates more hazards on the road and you won't be looking in your mirror as much so you don't wander all over the road looking at the traffic behind you. This is only my advice hoping not to stir up the wingers.
AnswerID: 307406

Reply By: awill4x4 - Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 23:21

Monday, Jun 02, 2008 at 23:21
Whenever this question crops up you always hear the the old refrain "I've towed everything on wheels everywhere and I don't need a wdh" Funnily enough, you never hear someone who's used a wdh ever saying they don't need one, it's always the opposite. Those who have used them wouldn't tow without them must be something in that I think.
I've towed vans both with and without wdh's and I'll never own and tow another van without a wdh.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 307418

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:20

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:20
Spot on Andrew. It's a worry to know that there are still people out there who's ignorance in regard to their own & other road users safety are still out there towing with an unsafe set up.
FollowupID: 573337

Reply By: Terry Cann - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 15:16

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 15:16
Many thanks to all who contributed, your thoughts and input have been extremely helpfull.
It seems that there are some very good opinions here both for and against the use of a W.D.H.
I feel on balance that it is probably better to err on the side of safety and have decided to have one fitted.
This is a great site for novice vanners.
Thanks again to everyone
AnswerID: 307529

Sponsored Links