Hid Lights

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 06:44
ThreadID: 58319 Views:7336 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,I have just fitted some H4 hid Hi/Lo kits to my 80 series I have run into 2 problems that are probably not as bad as they seem. Being a new concept to me and I have had a fair bit of time over the years
working on vehicles,the globes which I fitted to the outside inserts
have a metal sheild around them, so I was adjusting height etc last night but seem to get a shaded area when changing high to low and visa-versa. Also I have noted that the highbeam indicator light does not work nor do the inside highbeam lights. I had previously fitted spotties all lights run seperate relays and I spliced into the the wire from highbeam inside insert to trigger the relays.So since I have only used the plug and play feature using the plug from outside headlight
to connect hid kit I can't seem to be able to get my head around this
problem which more than likely laughing at me in the face.
Any help would be appreciated thanks Ray.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:35

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:35
I ended up throwing mine in the shed never to be used again. I found that when retro fitted to a light and lans designed to refract light light from a normal globe that the HID's although bright were unworkable in a responsible sense. They were blinding the bejeezes out of everyone in my path and by the time they were adjusted low enough to stop people putting their high beam on me it defeated the purpose of having them as they shone a bright light just in front of the vehicle that I reckon didn't give me any better vision than a properly adjusted set of plus 50 halogens. (good light and no one flashing me and abusing me)
AnswerID: 307485

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:48

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:48
You are dead right Howesy!! Retro-fit HID HEADLIGHTS that do not come with the reflector lens are illegal!!

The are not able to be diffused correctly using the original lenses due to the length of the globe and where the light emits from with HIDs.

I will see if I can find a picture that illustrates the 'glare' from retro-HIDs.

Matt.
FollowupID: 573332

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:59

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:59
Here is some good reading ... HID Info
AnswerID: 307491

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:17

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:17
Yes whilst I didn't know this was illegal I agree on your comments re the reflector, some designs lend themselves to HID conversions better than others. I did an old VL Commodore which if anyone has seen the headlight beam on one of these yoo'll know they are in serious need of some real headlights. The HID conversion worked great but only because the original lights were so bleep in bad.! On other vehicles, you get blinded , these are obviously conversions, older vehicles etc. I'm not sure you can change the reflectors to suit when you do a conversion.? (If this is possible then great).
I am now told by a guru here at the office that HID conversions without reflector changes are illegal, they aren't self levelling and do not meet ADR standards etc etc, they blind other drivers and they become tiring on you the driver because there is no cut off for the light. I am also now told you can get reflectors for many vehicles to suit, just don't ask me which ones.
AnswerID: 307499

Reply By: raazor - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:56

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 12:56
Thanks for input fellas all makes sense. I found a site Hidrus.com.au he sells complete kits, also replacement 80 series headlamps/indicator/park light in one unit poly carbonate takes H1 globes. Anyway have a look.
I spoke to him on the phone this morning sounds ok but I'll think on it and maybe hear some more feedback. Once again Thanks.
P.S I am also selling my VR Oddessey Australian Offroad Camper trailer if anybody is interested.
AnswerID: 307507

Follow Up By: macbushy - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:03
Just checked out the one piece jobs on Hidrus.com.au ..... wonder how good they are?
Anyone out there tried them ?

$700 for a set I hope not each? or maybe they are.

mmmmm $1500 for light upgrade? gee they dont make it easy...........
FollowupID: 573461

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:31

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:31
The kit form the ebay seller is $130 for H4 Hi/Lo, a PAIR!.
Kits for driving lights are around $80!!
FollowupID: 574859

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 20:48
I've fitted a set to the Hella H4 inserts and they work well with the same beam spread as the original Halogen globes.
Very sharp cutoff and with the kickup to the left.
Nobody has flashed me either and they've been fitted for over 12 months now.
Unbelievable difference in light output, thinking of fitting a set to my car now.
I bought the kit from ebay seller "95soarer"
As long as the HID arc is the same distance from the reflector as the halogen globe then the beam should be the same.
AnswerID: 307586

Follow Up By: tukka - Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:14

Friday, Jun 06, 2008 at 22:14
Have also purchased the HID kit from same seller, very happy with the kit. Good price and looks to be a good kit. Should of taken Peter2s advice and got the Hella inserts though. I will definitely be ordering them on Monday.

Anyone know if there is a difference between the Narva inserts and the Hella ones. I know there is about a $60 difference so would assume that the Hellas are best.
FollowupID: 574078

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:32

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 19:32
I'd reckon there would be if you did scientific type testing.Get a set and if they are no good take em back and swap for Hella's
FollowupID: 574860

Reply By: macbushy - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:43

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 21:43
Will be watching this development with baited breath, because my 80 series lights are embarrissingly bad (and dangerous). Been looking for a cure for a while.
Besides HID, Replace inside lense with a Hi/LO, same as outer lense? was another opton I had been humming and haaing about.

ps you must be loosing sleep over this....logging it @0600 AM

lol
AnswerID: 307613

Reply By: blown4by - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:14

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:14
HID lights without self-levelling headlamps and headlamp self-cleaning are illegal in Australia under ADR's. (If you are interested)
AnswerID: 307622

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jun 03, 2008 at 22:30
ILLEGAL????

So are tyres that are more than 30mm larger diameter larger than manufacturer specs;
So are reversing camera screens that don't turn off when not in reverse gear.
So are DVD players for rear seat passengers unless you have blacked-out windows in the rear
So are springs that give you more than 50mm height rise.
So are exhaust systems that have been modified to 3" and don't still have the "required" amount of mufflering
So are modifications to the EGR valving (which many 3 litre Patrol owners are closing off for performance enhancements)
So is having driving lights on top of your roof (unless you only use for off-road)
So is having a bullbar with anything protruding forward
So is having a large antenna on your bullbar
So is having a vehicle that exceeds the manufacturers GVM/GCM

Looks like I'm off to jail for a very long time, cos I reckon I've broken almost all those laws at one time or another.....

What I'm getting at is that it is only illegal if you get some smart-@rse copper that you proceed to upset big-time. Or maybe we're just lucky here in SA that the boys in blue are too busy catching real criminals, to bother with law-abiding citizens who like to see where they're going when they're driving long distances in the outback.....

Rant now over.....(it's just that I get tired of being told how many laws I'm breaking). Sorry

Roachie
FollowupID: 573472

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:42
But isn't it fun having HID's....you forgot one thing Roachie, it is ILLEGAL fitting a Boeing 747 flight deck into a Chev powered Nissan Patrol too.
FollowupID: 573515

Follow Up By: raazor - Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 19:09

Thursday, Jun 05, 2008 at 19:09
Hey guys if you want to no how I ended up with my lights just email me raazorj@reachnet.com.au saves me looking back thru threads and yes those lights from hidrus are a pair price and they are a projector type lense probaly similar to the lights i had on my BA Falcon a few years ago.They reckon they can be fitted successfully with hid globes
because they use seperate high/low globes H1 type.
New to this forum well haven't used for couple of years think I might join soon doesn't seem to have a lot of slinging matches anymore.
see ya Ray.
FollowupID: 573755

Follow Up By: blown4by - Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 00:02

Saturday, Jun 07, 2008 at 00:02
I thought I was addressing the question raised by Raazor! You are obviously having a bad?? day Roachie as your response is not the normal measured wise and helpful reply which I generally agree with and look forward to reading. I did say "IF you are interested". Since you raised it you may find: "What I'm getting at is that it is only illegal if you get some smart-@rse copper that you proceed to upset big-time." is the best case scenario. The worst case scenario may be no insurance if your blinding headlamps dazzle an oncoming vehicle, a civil action should someone get injured or reduced third party cover or if it bothers you at all a serious injury to asnother person or worse which you will have to live with for the rest of your life. The ADR's etc are for the benefits and safety of all road users and to make list of all the ones you have brtoken and brag about it like it was a badge of honour is what gives all 4x4 owners, including the responsible ones, a bad name.
FollowupID: 574125

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:42

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:42
G'day Blown4by,
Sorry if I hit a raw nerve mate, it wasn't my intention.

I may not have explained myself very well, but what I was getting at is this......

If we (any of us) are fair dinkum enough to go over our own vehicle with a fine tooth comb, I'm almost sure you will find several things that won't be technically legal. I made the list of my known "issues" just to show that I am well aware of my own shortcomings. I didn't intend for it to read like a badge of honour; sorry if it came across like that.

As for blinding other driver's, I would just like to say that I do a reasonable amount of night driving and am pleased to be able to report that I have my HIDs adjusted in such a way that I don't get "flashed" by any oncoming drivers.

As for insurance, I am such a cynical old barstool that I realise the only hope I've ever getting a claim approved is if my rig is either stolen or burnt etc. If I have an accident, the bean counters will go over it (as I alluded above) with the fine-tooth comb and it won't take them long to decide that they won't payout because I was overweight (or one of the other listed items applies).

I challenge anybody who reads this to put their own reasonably well set-up rig*** (see below for definition) willingly in front of an authoritive-type person (RTA engineer, or a Police Crash Investigator etc) and have them give it a clean bill of health.

*** My definition of a reasonably well set-up rig would include:
# long range tank
# dual wheel carrier
# roof rack
# dual battery system
# steel bullbar
# winch
# cargo drawer system
# fridge
# cargo barrier
etc etc

Stick all that stuff into most common rigs (landcruiser, patrol, pajero etc etc) and I think you'll find you're illegal once you load-up the people and food/clothes etc.

Once again, please accept my apologies for my earlier rant and I hope this follow-up hasn't re-fuelled the situation; but rather that it may have defused it a bit.

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 574750

Follow Up By: blown4by - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 23:27

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2008 at 23:27
Yeh no worries Roachie. There was no need for an apology but since you have offered it I will accept it anyway. I understand (better now) where you are coming from and agree pretty much with all you have said. Also thanks for taking the time to respond in the manner that you have. That to me says a lot about a bloke and I am glad we are pretty much "on the same page" because as I said I do read your posts with interest and have respect for your opinion and input. Maybe it was the wrong time of the month for both of us:-) I just get a bit jacked off when I drive to and from work every day and all these "tools" drive around in clear weather with their (misaligned) fog lamps pointing all over the place, including in broad daylight, either thinking "stuff everyone else I blind" or they are just too dumb to even know what the fog lamp litle tell tale lamp on the dash is for or even worse how to turn them off, etc, etc. Catchya later
FollowupID: 575161

Sponsored Links